Mas des Comtes de Provence, Tarascon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're basing ourselves in Tarascon for 4 nights of Provence discovery at Mas des Comtes de Provence...has anyone stayed there? Just looking for comments and thoughts. Thank you.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:46 AM

Tarascon is a very nice place to stay--from there you can easily get to the major sights of western Provence. If the beautiful Provençal fabrics interest you, Soulieado has a museum collection in Tarascon; I think you need to reserve in advance to see it. There are often special exhibits in the castle (once it was filled with orchids), and the church has a fine sculpture of Mte. Marthe, famous for defeating the dreaded Tarasque.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:21 AM

I recently spoke to someone who stayed there and enjoyed it. Sorry I can't remember any particulars, but I've meant to go by to see it. If I get over there this week, I'll post the info here.

The Souleiado museum is usually open in the afternoons. Because it's privately run, they tend to be a bit hit or miss, I must admit. The museum is definitely worth seeing.... I go through it a couple of times a year because it's so interesting ( I collect old provencal quilts - boutis - and coverlets)

Patricia
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information! We thought the Tarascon location was ideally located between so many of the towns, cities and sites we wanted to see in the area.
I read somewhere (in some travel book) that there was the factory for Soulieado in the town where you can puchase fabric too. Is that right or is it just a museum?
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 03:51 PM

I don't know whether you can buy fabric in Tarascon, but if not there's a good-sized Souleiado shop in St-Rémy, along with one that handles les pricey fabrics (including lovely placemats, napkins, etc.). You may also find fabrics at the regional open-air markets, including the huge one in Arles. Happy shopping!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Yes you can buy fabric and some gift things as well as clothes. I bought a dress and a farandole santon. There's aback room with things on sale, at least when I was there.. My husband hates to shop, so he broght a book and sat in the courtyard that is by the entrance. I once googled the mas des comtes. The rooms are all different one has AC another no shower but a bath. All look attractive but I think some of the uppers have a long connecting balcony that overlooks the courtyard where tables with umbrellas are. Alot of stone which I like seems to dominate most of the house.balcon. There's a huge pool but it was not on the site i saw and it's not inexpensive about $210.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 12:57 AM

Directly across the courtyard from the Souleiado museum is the store, which sells fabric, off cuts, clothing, tablecloths, etc. Prices are quite high.
The factory itself has no store.

In St Etienne du Gres, about six kilometres from Tarascon on the road to St. Remy, is the outlet store for Les Olivades - comparable fabrics, clothing, etc. I often like Les Olivades prints better than Souleiado... and they're less expensive at the outlet shop. There are signs as you enter St Etienne showing the way - they're next to the "camping".

Patricia

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

As always, such great help. Thanks.