Ariving in Munich

Search

Ariving in Munich

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ariving in Munich

We are arriving at the airport in Munich and we hear there is an airport bus that will take us to the center of Munich (our hotel is Hotel Royal Munich) Does anyone know how far the walk is from where this bus stops in the center of Munich to this particular hotel? Also, when we first arrived at the airport, will the bus accept USA dollars since we will not have had a chance to find a bank to get euros? Is there a good place at the airport to exchange money? Thanks for any assistance.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Others can tell you about the bus, but you can also take the train from MUC directly into town. No, the bus/train/whatever will not take dollars. Either get some euros before you leave or there are several exchange bureaus at MUC itself.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 07:00 AM

>We are arriving at the airport in Munich and we hear there is an airport bus that will take us to the center of Munich (our hotel is Hotel Royal Munich)

I donīt know the hotel. If it is very close to the main rail station, the bus might be useful (or not, since you have the suburban trains trains going to the airport as well).

>Does anyone know how far the walk is from where this bus stops in the center of Munich to this particular hotel?

They might have a direction from the main station (Hauptbahnhof) on their website. many hotels do.

>Also, when we first arrived at the airport, will the bus accept USA dollars

Of course not. Would an airport bus in the USA accept Euro? I donīt think so.

>since we will not have had a chance to find a bank to get euros?

You donīt need a bank, you need an ATM. Of which there are several in the airport building.

>Is there a good place at the airport to exchange money?

I really hope you donīt plan on exchanging cash. But if you insist there is a Deutsche Bank in the airport.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Go here for a map of the hotel's location and you can get an even closer look if you select the "view plan" option:

http://www.hotel-royal.de/pages/loca...a42bb90e5783be

It looks to be within walking distance of the main rail station and you could probably use either the bus or the U-Bahn (Line S-1 might be a little faster than taking Line S-8).
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Take $$??
Get real.

The bus goes with one stop at Nordfriedhof to the main train station. The bus is a little more costly than the S-Bahn, but I find it to be a more comfortable ride. Luggage is locked up in the cargo area under the bus and the driver has to open it with a key.

Take a look at the map indicated above. The hotel is very near the train station.

Exchange money? Why not use the ATM?
You are going to need euro notes anyhow.
Cheapest way to get them.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:40 PM

The bus and the S-bahn take about the same time to the Hauptbahnhof (assuming the bus does not get stuck in traffic), but the S-bahn leaves twice as often.

An €18 MVV All Zones Partner Day Ticket covers your trip to the Hauptbahnhof plus all other public transportation (S/U-bahn, streetcars, buses) in Munich the rest of the day. The bus fare, €20 for 2 adults, covers only your trip to the Hauptbahnhof.

I have never bothered with the bus, but I can tell you that the S-bahn is not uncomfortable, and I prefer having by luggage with me at all times.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 05:42 AM

Tickets for the S-bahn from the airport to the main train station can be purchased with a credit or debit card at the airport. It is really not necessary to have euros upon arrival in Munich.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:25 PM

We were tired after flying 10 hours into Munich so we just took the bus. It was easier for us and we didn't have to worry about handling our luggage and it was comfortable, and you can then walk to your hotel if it is near the train station.
We exchanged dollars for euros at our bank (no fee) before we left for Germany.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 02:26 PM

We are set to leave tomorrow morning and were in the same predictament. We are going to go ahead and take the S-bahn to the main train station since our hotel is about 200 meters away (Mercure City Center). We are also traveling with an infant so we limited outselfs to 2 carry-ons to handbags and 1 stroller. Wish us luck
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 02:38 PM

If you use a credit card their a total of 3% surcharge better to get your euros while at home. We usually get 100 and that's enough till we can get to an exchange or ATM.

My husband's credit union doesn't charge any surcharge but normal cc do.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 02:44 PM

Easy. At the airport enter the middle section of the train. Once you arrive at main station (underground),look for the DB signs (long distance Fernverkehr) and cross the main hall diagonally. At the other end (donut stand on the right, subway entrance on the left, cross the tramway rails, 50 meters and you're there.