Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are there any monoprix type stores in Rome?

Feb 11th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

We are planning on making a few picnic meals and I was wondering if there were any grocery stores located close to the Trevi fountain/Spanish steps area? We will be staying near the Italian Parliment.

We were impressed with the Monoprix stores in Paris b/c of their convenience and high quality and reasonable prices and are hoping to find something similar in Rome.
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:13 AM

Yes, "Despar" (119-124 Via Pozzetto at Via Poli) is located between the Spanish Steps and the Trevi. This is as close to a Monoprix as one can find in Rome's city center.
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:20 AM

I had the same question, leaving for Rome in three days and staying in the same area. Thanks for the great info!
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:44 AM

Thanks for the information as I'll be in Rome in late March and was wondering the same thing. Does this store also sell items like hair dryers ect.? Thanks, Mike
Feb 11th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, NYCSnob! Great info....now I don't feel so bad about asking a silly question! I'm in great company.
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:00 AM

There are some decent appliance/electronic stores on Corso Vittorio Emanuale (between Piazza San Pantaleo and the Tiber). I bought my Solano blow dryer over here. Don't forget, the velocity (wattage) is less important than the heating element. Solano and Elchim are popular brands amongst professionals. You can count on their heating elements to be strong and durable.

For household type items, "old" Rome is a great place to shop. There's a better selection of stores and better prices. Some of these businesses have been here for many years.

I'm not the type of person who would buy a blow dryer at a grocery store.
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:04 AM

NYCFoodSnob, now that's the kind of response that I would expect to get from you. Now I can have my breakfast and go to work!!! Mike