Arcos Bull Run on Easter Sunday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on arriving in Arcos de la Frontera the Saturday afternoon before Easter and leaving Easter day in the afternoon.

There is a bull run on Easter Sunday that I definately don't want to miss. I have a mid day flight out of Madrid on Monday and should take the AVE back from Seville on Easter Sunday evening.

Does anyone know what time approximately the bull run takes place in Arcos?

Thanks to all in advance.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:18 AM

I'm not familiar with the one in Arcos, but in general most bull runs in Spain start first thing in the morning (7 or 8:00). Hopefully someone has been to the one in Arcos and can tell you the exact time.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:29 PM

CathyM,
I hope you won't mind missing the "bull run" in Arcos. The fact is that they release only one bull at a time, hardly an encierro. So don't get your hopes up for a lot of action even though an American sailor was killed there back in the mid-90s.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:40 PM

I seem to remember the run being in the morning.
I was there in 1991 and saw the bull run. It was wild. A friend with us was right next to a guy who was gored. My friend wound up with the guy's blood all over him. I don't know if he died or not.
As for me, I was realy naive and out in the middle of a plaza trying to take pictures when the bull came down. Suddenly, I realized how stupid I was, and tried to scramble over the barrier but it was really crowded and no one wanted to let me in. Finally, a woman let me through. She pointed to my stomach, scolding me in Spanish, thinking I was pregnant. I lifted up my sweater to show her my fanny pack and she looked at me like I had somehow tried to cheat my way in.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 07:41 PM

Kristina,
Your experience, and that of your friend, are important lessons when it comes to being in a limited space with one of Spain’s fighting bulls, as are the toros bravo used in Arcos, and in Pamplona. Fighting bulls are not farm animals and should be respected for their power and natural instinct. They will kill you if given a chance, but for them it is as natural as the sun rising in the east. Sometimes it is difficult to explain to people just how dangerous it can be, but I have to admit that the adrenaline rush is unlike anything you may ever experience again, it’s easy to become addicted.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies. Looks like I can safely plan to see the bull run on Sunday in Arcos and make it back to Madrid in the evening. I'll be relying on public transportation but should be able to make it.

Robert2533-I visited Arcos in 2002 and saw pictures of the bull run on Easter so I know not to expect a large production. In fact, I like the smaller scale festivals. Once of my best traveling experiences in Spain was visiting Olite during a festival where they closed off the streets and ran the bulls into the main square.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 06:58 PM

Yes, CathyM, Olite does have a very small encierro, but at least it is an encierro. You know you're always welcome to join us in Pamplona for the fiesta. We'll find a place for you to stay that's within you budget.

Saludos!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:24 AM

I have been to the encierro in Verje. It was small as they say one bull at a time. I did seem them carring a young man ashen in color due to the severe goring he had obtained in the abdomin. These are not for tourist and I would strongly advise against trying to get into the street. Try writing to the ayuntamiento of Arcos for information. Arcos is a beautiful town I have been there as well but not during an encierro. Samana Santa is a great time to be in spain.