Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Catholic Mass at SB Mission? Tacky to go if not catholic?

Dec 21st, 2006, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

As we will be in Santa Barbara over the holiday, I thought it might be fun to attend a Catholic mass at the Santa Barbara mission at midnight, Christmas Eve. But, of course, don't want to insult any locals, as we're not Catholic and obviously wouldn't partake in communion. Any thoughts? Anyone been to a mass at a mission like this?

Thanks in advance!
AZWildcat
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:02 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. Tons of non-Catholic people at least occasionally get dragged to Catholic masses for xmas. My Baptist dad goes to Catholic mass with my mom every week. Just get there super early-Christmas brings out all the folks that only go to church once a year.
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:10 PM

If you are not going to ridicule or make fun then why not go?
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:13 PM
J62

People of any faith are welcome to attend Catholic mass. Definitely not a problem, and anyone who is offended isn't a true Christian in the first place.

You are correct about about not partaking in communion. The Catholic church requests that only Catholics (and members of certain Eastern Orthodox religions) receive.
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:30 PM
JJ5

And don't confuse this with a normal everyday Sunday Mass. They are different, especially with the crowds etc.
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:32 PM
JJ5

That wasn't very clear. In other words, this will be much more crowded, lengthy.
Dec 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM

I'm Lutheran, so we rarely have this problem ;-) , but I think I've heard or read that some churches plan for the huge Christmas Eve crowds by actually distributing tickets. Anyone else heard of that?

Regardless, I'd go anyway. If there's no room in the church, maybe there'll be some in the barn out back. ;-)
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:02 PM

With all due respect, J62 is only partially correct. Orthodox Catholics and Roman Catholics are members of the same religion (Christianity) but different denominations/branches.

Members of the Eastern Orthodox (or Orthodox Catholic) churches are not permitted to receive communion in Roman Catholic chruches because the two branches split during the Great Schism of 1054.

Members of Eastern Rite churches recognize the spiritual authority of the Pope and are considered part of the Western or Roman Catholic Church and may receive communion. However, they are autonomous and have different liturgies, customs and laws.

AZWildcat, if you want go, by all means do. I'm sure that church, or any other, would welcome you warmly. Enjoy the music, the decorations and atmosphere, but please remember to be respectful of the others.

In addition to not receiving communion, you may not wish to participate in some of the prayers that are said while kneeling. If so, just sit while everyone else kneels, but stand with the congregation.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:22 AM
JJ5

Just a note about the "ticket" idea. Our Chicagoland Roman Catholic parishes don't do tickets, but we do have extra services, almost seven or eightfold beyond a regular Sunday in some areas/places.

On Sunday my parish has 5 masses and on Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day, this year we have 15 separate services. And this is a parish that is 4 years old (church was built with all the old "parts" and windows from 3 different dismantled gothic structures from the inner City of Chicago that people had trashed), & split off from another parish just one mile away. There are THAT many of us, you see. My Protestant guy who comes with me is forever astonished, just never "gets" the numbers part.

If I go to either of the Children's Christmas Eve choral Masses at 3 pm or at 5 pm- there will be upwards of 2000 people in the 1200 capacity church. And we also have Masses in Polish twice and in Spanish once with culturally relative music as well. The Midnight Mass is in Polish this year. And we are NOT a strongly Polish body of parishioners. But one of our priests is. And I think that is great. But man are we crowded, and it is like St. Peter's in Rome- REALLY standing room only for any inch of available space. So standing or kneeling at certain parts, isn't even an option for many.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:35 AM

One of my ex-husbands was a Catholic (I was raised Anglican). I would attend the midnight mass on Christmas Eve with him and his family. I even took communion and wine and nobody even questioned it.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:42 AM

Go! It will be an experience. But not exactly what most people would consider "fun." However, since you are not Catholic, please don't take communion. No one will stop you, but since it won't mean anything to you, it's just not a proper thing to do.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:03 AM

I went to an episcopalian elementary school and we had church everyday and communion on tuesdays. All of the kids who weren't "authorized" to have communion (me included) would go up to the front with everyone else and be blessed, but not have communion. I was always tempted to take communion, but I was too afraid of what would happen so I never did. I thought God might strike me down or that I would get hauled into the principal's office and my parents would be called - not sure which would have been a worse fate - LOL.

Anyway - I agree with everyone else. Go to the mass. There are always non-Catholics at mass.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:37 AM

Santa Barbara is a beautiful mission and because of its historical status, they get lots of visitors to their masses.

As a matter of fact, my father (an Episcopalian) took my mother (a Methodist) to the Santa Barbara mission for mass on one of their first dates in 1947. A stranger took a photo of them - the handsome young Naval officer in his uniform and my beautiful mother dressed to the nines- with the Mission bell tower in the background.

Both parents are gone now, and that is one of my favorite pictures of them. My siblings and I all have large framed copies on our walls.

Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:45 AM
JJ5

Oh what a nice memory.

I have a picture from my parents' (married Dec. 1945 on furlough, honeymoon early 1947 CA)delayed honeymoon, at the same place but he's not in uniform. 1947 too.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:42 AM
SAB

I go to midnight mass at St. Patrick's in NYC whenever I'm in NY over the holidays, and not only am I not a Catholic, I'm agnostic. I go for the ceremony and because my family does. I've seen Ed Koch there, and you know he is not Catholic. No one is offended and as a previous poster has stated no truly religious person should be offended if someone not of their faith attends.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:11 AM

AZ,

Raised LDS, but I've been to many masses both here and in Italy. The services are lovely and the Santa Barbara mission is one of the most beautiful. Go, enjoy, but go early!!
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:32 PM

AZ-You'll be welcomed ! MY SIL's Catholic Church in Tucson has a
"Protestant Pew"-no kneeler-where we all sat as a family (2 Methodists, 1 Jew, 1 Buddhist, 1 lapsed Episcopalian, 1 Lutheran,1 Baptist, 3 Catholics) for years and years of Christmas Eve Midnight Mass.

Should be wonderful!

R5
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:42 PM

Heck, I have been to church services all over with friends or on trips and I am Jewish.

By the way, I would NEVER take communion at such a service.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:42 PM

Az, it's NEVER tacky to go to church.
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:07 PM

Wow if non Catholics were barred from attending we might actually get a seat during Christmas Mass without having to get there an hour early!

I was taught by my strict mom that it's never "services" it's always Mass. Ugh don't make that mistake in her presence!

Christmas Mass is pretty different from Sunday Mass. Communion takes longer than normal due to more people participating and the sermon is much shorter because the current congregation must get out of the parking lot to allow for the next group to come in. In general the atmosphere is more relaxed due to the number of non Catholics present. Hope you enjoy your visit!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO