Apts in Latin Quarter

Dec 13th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Apts in Latin Quarter

We are a family of four - 2 adults, two young teens -- that will be in Paris for 4-5 days in July. We would like to rent an apartment and I am thinking the Latin Quarter would be the most fun for us. Any tips of rather this would be a good arrondismont (sp?) for us and any specific apts (one or two bedroom) that are not too expensive would be great

Thanks.
Dec 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Well, the Latin Quarter is generally a zoo in July, and I wouldn't want to stay in most parts of it if I planned to get any sleep or peace and quiet. I couldn't believe what a madhouse it was last July and got out of there as quickly as I could.

I'd opt for the 6th or Ile St-Louis; then you can get on foot to the Latin Quarter quickly. Of course you can take the metro there from anywhere in Paris easily, too.
Dec 13th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Stcirq. I have not been to Paris for several years and never with kids so I appreciate your feedback. We love to walk and the kids still think riding on trains/metros is fun.

Do you have any specific accomodation suggestions for the 6th or Ill St. Louis?

Merci
Dec 13th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Hi, hamburger.

No, I've only rented one apartment in Paris and it was in the 7th, which is my favorite arrondissement but probably not what you and your kids would enjoy best.
Dec 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM

We have a whole apartment thread addressing this: Paris Apartment Thread. It's in the first 50 threads. I had vacationinparis.com Apt#122 in the 6th, which would be excellent for you. You can get the info I've wriiten on the Paris Apartment Thread. Happy Travels!
Dec 13th, 2008, 02:05 PM
cw

Here's the link to the Paris apartment posts:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35159017
Dec 13th, 2008, 04:23 PM

Another vote against the Latin Quarter in July. I have come to prefer staying on the right bank, and have rented several apartments in the 4th, 11th and the inner edge of the 20th that were great. A couple weeks ago we used a studio in the northern part of the 3rd (Marais) and it was fine for just the two of us for a few days, but when we have young ones along I really like being closer to the Seine. From there it is easy to walk most places, but stay out of tourist fray. Proximity to a metro stop like Bastille with lots of good connections is really helpful. Check out the above mentioned thread for specific agencies and apartments.
Dec 19th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll check this thread out

jes
Dec 19th, 2008, 08:12 PM

hamburger - I am staying in the Latin Quarter - I leave on Monday - with 3 teens and one 11 year old..but I have no idea what it would be like in July
Dec 19th, 2008, 08:37 PM

MomDDTravel--How funny--I'm flying out Monday and staying in the LQ as well. I did the same with my two children and wife two years ago over Christmas. It was nice then, but I suspect where I stayed would be a bit gamier in the summer.
Dec 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM

I've stayed in the latin Quarter several times in July, there's nothing wrong with it at all. I like it there. Having said that, most people who tell you how terrible it is are referring to only a few blocks of it near St Michel metro and aren't really familiar with all of it or what it is like to live there in an apt. There aren't a lot of tourists in the bulk of the Latin Quarter at all, where most residents live and where I rent apartments when staying there. If you rent one near St Michel or St Severin church, or around those pedestrian streets teeming with tourists (rue de la Huchette, etc), yes, it is crowded. But you may well enjoy it, I've read a lot of posts from folks on here who have rented apartments in that area and like it.

I go alone, though, so am not familiar with good apartments for four adults so can't recommend one in particular.
Dec 20th, 2008, 11:09 AM

zeppo! How funny - I will see you there We arrive on Tuesday
Dec 20th, 2008, 12:54 PM

Gee, I'll go one step further than Christina. I've stayed in the Latin Quarter in July as well, and what's more I stayed in the busiest area (I could almost touch St. Severin from my window!) I can't imagine NOT having AC in Paris in July. We'd go to our apartment, close the double paned windows (if they weren't already closed) and turn on the air. What noise?
Dec 20th, 2008, 01:03 PM

NP:

Isn't St-Severin dead? Touch him?

Hamburger-I second the suggestion to read the apartment threads and contact the agencies.

Have a great trip.