Apartment in central Paris - 5 choices

Sep 24th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Apartment in central Paris - 5 choices

Hi everyone. You may have seen my original post on apartments in Montmartre.

Well, you're not going to believe it. After all that work looking at places and debating whether to stay up in Montmartre (and all the help from you), I've decided it would be best to stay more central.

My husband has never been to Paris, so I'm sure we'll be in central Paris most of the time. It makes more sense to be able to pop "home" for a bit if we need a break.

Sooo... I am now evaluating a whole NEW set of apartments. I would like to find someplace that is convenient for walking and it must have a bakery close-by for breakfast. I'd love a "neighborhood" feel (not TOO crowded with tourists) and trees on the street. Other pluses (but not necessary) are an elevator, view and/or computer).

Here is my list, broken up by districts:
1. In the 1st:
http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_125.htm

2. In the 2nd:
http://www.vrbo.com/139753

3. In the 7th:
http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_155.htm

4. In the 7th/6th:
http://www.vrbo.com/129217

5. In the 8th:
http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_109.htm

Thanks so much as always, and I look forward to providing a trip report when I'm back, so everyone will know how the final choice turns out!

Laura

Sep 24th, 2007, 05:39 PM

Hey Laura,

I checked out the apartments, and the apartment in the 7th near Rue Cler seems like a great deal - it's newly renovated, has big beds, a/c, full kitchen including washer and dryer, and for me, the ultimate hook was the filtered water...you couldn't imagine how much water bottles I bought on our stay to Paris, not to say how much I hated lugging them back to our apartment! Although it had not elevator, but that seems like a non-issue since you mentioned it wasn't necessary.

You might want to check the threads and see what people have to say about vacationinparis.com - I think they have gotten pretty good reviews here.

As to the apt. in the 8th - alot of folks here discourage staying in this district since it's so far from the other areas, and is filled with mostly high-end hotels and restaurants...probably not your best bet if you want a neighbor hood feel.

I notice you didn't pick any apartments in the 3rd or 4th districts - I've never stayed in these areas, but lots of people love staying in this part of Paris.
Sep 24th, 2007, 06:58 PM

Hi Laura
I like the locations of 1 or 2. I would not stay in the 7th. I know there aare lots on this board who love it but for your first time, I would stay in 1st or 2nd arr.Have a great time. CJ
Sep 24th, 2007, 07:14 PM

I would stay in 7th .
Sep 24th, 2007, 07:15 PM

Hi Laura,
I really like #2 and #3. Both look like they're in fun neighborhoods. I like #2 the best but it's on the 5th floor, so that might be a consideration. It allows many bakery visits but sometimes one is tired.

We stayed in the 4th last December and that was a great neighborhood, very easy to get everywhere and lively with lots and lots of restaurants, shops and cafes.
Sep 24th, 2007, 08:21 PM

I responded on your previous post.
Sep 24th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone who has posted so far. In my last thread, I received two votes for #4 and one for #5.

That brings the totals to:
#1 One vote
#2 Two votes
#3 Two votes
#4 Three votes
#5 One vote

So #4 is leading by a hair. Looking forward to more feedback.

Anna, I didn't pick any in the 3rd or 4th only because I didn't find any I liked in my price range with availability. I think I agree with you about the 8th.

CarolJean, Why would you not stay in the 7th? I have stayed in several areas in Paris, though this will be the first time for my husband. Apartment #4 is right by the river. Would that change your mind?

Danon, which do you prefer between #3 and #4?

Thanks again,
Laura

Sep 24th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Seamus, I counted your vote
Sep 24th, 2007, 08:32 PM

I'll check them out and put in my vote - but my question is have you omitted the 5th because of lack of availibility, or you don't like it?

The 5th, eastern half of the 6th and southern bit of the 4th are my fav parts for renting apartments.
Sep 24th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Janice. I don't have anything against the 5th. I just didn't see an apartment I liked that was in my price range and available.

And I actually did email every posting on vrbo that had a decent one bedroom in my price range. I also checked all the rental companies I could find. Many had one-week minimums, and we're only there for four nights.

Anyhow, I was pretty happy with the five listed above, but if you have any other leads, let me know! Beside the neighborhood criteria listed, I'm looking for around $200 or less per night, modern amenities, tasteful styling and one separate bedroom.
Sep 24th, 2007, 08:45 PM

OK - of those I'd vote for #4 w/ #2 a fairly close 2nd place.

#4 looks the most comfortable and I like the location for "wow factor" for your husband just across the river from the Louvre. (but I'd still look for something in the 5th)
Sep 24th, 2007, 08:55 PM

Oh - just to clarify - if it was ME -- I'd keep looking for something in the 5th. But I'd be pretty happy in flat #4 . . . . . .
Sep 24th, 2007, 09:19 PM

Looking at #4 and it's location, it would be good. I wouldn' stay in the 7th - Rue Cler because that's not the area I spend most of my time in. I prefer to be nearer to Notre Dame area. But again, I think #4 would be fine. CJ
Sep 25th, 2007, 03:07 AM

I haven't stayed any of these places but:
I didn't see that any of these places had an elevator, and the one on the 6/7 border seemed to be on a high floor (dormer roof).

The one in the 8th and the one in the 1st seemed to be on busy streets.

So between the 2nd and the 7th, I think the one near Ecole Militaire looks better. I know the neighborhood, and despite all the sneers about Rue Cler and Steve (some by me) it is a very convenient area to be in, especially if you go toward the river.
Sep 25th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Ackislander,
To confirm, you recommend apt #3 over #4?
Thanks.
Sep 25th, 2007, 06:43 AM

Ackislander: "the one on the 6/7 border seemed to be on a high floor (dormer roof). "

From the VRBO listing <<the apartment is two flights up.>> -- definitely not on a high floor.
Sep 25th, 2007, 07:23 AM

How lucky for you & your husband to stay in a beautiful apartment! I'll leave others to give their recommendations on specific apartments & locations...but give my experience with VacationInParis.

We used them in May 2007 for my family (selected apartment ID156). Overall they were easy to deal with, but we ran into problems with the apartment being not quite finished (TV didn't work, parts missing from the espresso machine, etc.) Despite phone calls, these things were not fixed during our stay nor did they grant us any credit. Nit-picky, yes, but with a sick family member stuck in a noisy apartment with no TV (and no water for awhile), it wasn't always pleasant. Also, the other side of the courtyard (not pictured on their website) was under construction, so it made for a very noisy stay beginning promptly at 8 am.

So....whatever apartment you select, make sure there is NO construction taking place during your stay, make sure all appliances are in working order, and cross your fingers. The apartment itself was fine and the location couldn't be better. But still, I was disappointed in VacationInParis's lack of response to our concerns and will probably not use them again for our next trip.
Sep 25th, 2007, 09:13 AM

I booked VRBO 139753 for a week in November! I must have looked at every apartment rental website in existence and that one had everything I wanted (washer/dryer, real bed, decent kitchen) and everything my boyfriend wanted (a balcony) at a good price. So far the owners have been very pleasant to deal with, I feel like they are my new friends. The address is 73 rue de Clery, look it up on http://photos.pagesjaunes.fr/

It's in the middle of a garment district of sorts, the street itself isn't too exciting, but nearby streets are nice.

Yes it will be a lot of stairs to climb everyday, but you can't have everything!
Sep 25th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Here is a nifty little map I made of my options (I love google maps). By the way, I think we are leaning heavily toward #4 (the torquoise one).

http://tinyurl.com/2ly6hf
Sep 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM
cw

What apartment did you finally choose?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO