Help for smokers

Dec 19th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Help for smokers

Hi to all, smokers and non-smokers alike. First, I am a smoker, but I always try to consider the rights of non-smokers. Me being the weird kind of person, nicotine is more than an addiction (yes, a smoker said that), it is actually healthy for ME (although my doctors scream when I say that). I have bradycardia (low heart rate) and hypotension (low blood pressure, so nicotine acts as a drug that helps to increase both.

There have been multiple threads on this board from smokers about to take their first long distance flight and are concerned about not being able to smoke. For me, it never really bothers me, as I know I can't so I just forget about it. What does bother me is when I stay in places that do not allow smoking. I agree with the policy and would have no problem with smoking being banned in every hotel or restaurant. It just bothers me.

I have found an answer, one that should make everyone happier. It is a product called Snus. That is the type of product (like cigar or car)and not necessarily a name brand (so this isn't advertising). It is kind of like snuff, except it comes in a little pouch. It is pasteurized tobacco with flavoring added, originally coming from Sweden. You place the little pouch between your cheek and gum. It actually tastes good, at least the flavor I have tried, kind of like wintergreen gum.

What makes it neat is that you do not spit and it does not stink. It lasts for about 30 minutes and when you are done, you just toss the little package, no bigger than a piece of gum.

So, when you are stuck on a plane or in an area where smoking is either not allowed, or you should not do it, you can easily do one of these. In many places in Europe it is being used as a means to stop smoking.

Because the tobacco has been pasteurized and not fermented, there are numerous studies that show that the incidence of cancer is much lower than with any other tobacco product.

So, it is kind of a win-win. Smokers get their fix anytime, anywhere. Nobody has to smell the stench of smoke and there is none of that disgusting spitting that is done with snuff or chewing tobacco.

It is now being sold in the US, but you'll have to do a google search to find the manufacturer, since I will not advertise for the actual product.

dave

Dec 19th, 2008, 05:16 AM

There is one problem, though. Snus is banned in the EU. It is permitted in Sweden only because they applied for a special permit.
Dec 19th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Sweden actually got an exemption from the EU when it entered in 1994. Snus is now available in the U.S. and Canada.
Dec 19th, 2008, 05:55 AM

I'm curious what your heart rate and bp are since I've always had low, but have never been told I have bradycardia.
Dec 19th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

My normal HR is about 52. At times it drops to the mid to low 40s. When doing things it might go up to 70.

BP runs around 112/50. A high rate for me is 130/75.

Yeah, if I were an athlete, that would be great. Unfortunately, I'm not.

When they did the tilt-table test on me with nitro, I thought they had killed me. HR dropped to 34, BP went to 55/38.

Even though I am a smoker, I have no lung problems, with O2 rate of 98%.
Dec 19th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Mine is kind of a disconnect between my nervous system and cardio-vascular system. It is like my brain tells my heart and vascular system, "hey, Dave's asleep", so everything just slows down, regardless of what I'm doing. I get dizzy alot and pass out sometimes.

Now, to the good side, I have a high salt diet. I eat lots of things with fat, as I have really good cholesterol numbers.
Dec 19th, 2008, 06:20 AM

I'm not sure what my normal heart is, but years ago when I was in labor they were concerned because it was 50. Multiple people coming in and asking if I exercised a lot (I didn't at all). BP usually in the 80/60 range (has been as low as 70's/50's) although several times lately they haven't been able to hear it at all. I know I'm not dead. lol

FWIW - I quit smoking years ago (20+) and didn't experience any change in heart rates or bp (low then and low now). I'm not so sure your nicotine excuse is valid.
Dec 19th, 2008, 06:54 AM

I have to agree with Kybourbon
Dave, nice try, but no cigar..
Dec 19th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Well, actually nicotine is a vasorestrictor, meaning that it tends to close down the blood vessels. That is one reason it is dangerous to smoke for people with high blood pressure. In addition, it is also a stimulant, so it can increase heart rate, once again, not good for folks with a fast heart rate.

As kind of a joke, I told my cardiologist that to stop smoking might be dangerous for me. After he stopped gagging, he said "Well, no doctor is going to tell you that smoking is healthy, but to be quite honest, if you stopped you may need to increase the dosage on the other medications". He also said that my idea about eating lots of bacon and fried foods wouldn't work, since it would probably take me 20 years to clog up my arteries enough to raise my BP and I'd probably be dead from smoking before then.

dave
Dec 19th, 2008, 09:16 AM

However wonderful your physical condition is you seem to have missed the point which is that Snus is illegal throughout the EU with the exception of in Sweden, so there is no point in recommending it, at least not on the Europe forum.
Use nicotine patches if you have to or just join the rest of the smokers outside.
Or was the whole point of this post to tell us how fit you are in spite of your habit?
You don't say how old you are, nor for how long you have smoked, but I really can't see that you can use your health situation as an excuse for smoking.
I too have low BP, a low heart rate and low cholesterol, in spite of being obese, but that doesn't make being obese right.
Dec 19th, 2008, 09:54 AM

it is actually healthy for ME

This is the most ridiculous statement I have read in my years of reading Fodor's posts. Just because your heart rate and blood pressure are low doesn't make SMOKING healthy for you. If your doctors felt you needed to increase your heart rate and blood pressure, they would prescribe a drug that would accomplish both of those things without the downsides of smoking cigarettes. Absurd.
Dec 19th, 2008, 10:20 AM

>>>Just because your heart rate and blood pressure are low doesn't make SMOKING healthy for you.<<<

Well, no, of course not. But Dave was only trying to tell smokers how they can feel more comfortable on long flights. Except it is not legal in the EU except in Sweden.

I know some people who smuggle small amounts from Sweden (a can or two), and I donīt see that as a big crime.

The reason for banning it in the EU is the elevated risk of mouth cancer. It has just been so popular in Sweden that banning it would be the same as making all tobacco products illegal everywhere else.

Pharmacies (at least here) sell this little nicotine inhaler that feels a bit like smoking. 100% legal, doesnīt smell, does not bother people around. Usually used by people who try to quit smoking.
Dec 19th, 2008, 11:11 AM

Elina, intially I thought Dave was trying to tell us about Snus. He seemed to completely ignore the postings telling him it is illegal and all his subsequent posts were about how wonderfully healthy he is in spite of or actually because of his nicotine habit.
That's what I queried and what sf7307 is referring to I think.
Dec 19th, 2008, 11:21 AM

I can certainly believe that your doctors scream when you tell them smoking is healthy for you. I thought I had heard it all. Do you really believe that smoking is good for you?
Dec 19th, 2008, 11:44 AM

Years ago when trans-Atlantic flights became illegal I got the inhalators/inhalors with the nicotine cartridges from Boots in London over the counter. In the US, they're still prescription but every doctor or dentist is more than happy to give you the prescription, even over the phone.

Since then, I used them to quit smoking. They take away all discomfort from long flights without smoking or any other place where smoking is not allowed.

The Boots brand is Nicassist & the other type is Nicotrol.
Dec 19th, 2008, 11:46 AM

Oh, I also have very low blood pressure & low heart rate. I've been turned down more than once when I tried to give blood.

No difference since I quit smoking. I also don't proseletyze about quitting smoking & smokers are more than welcome to smoke in my house or car.
Dec 19th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Something that works for many people in Europe that is also legal is eating marinated herring. It somehow satisfies cravings and is healthy. *I learned this from a Croation who struggled with long flights.
Dec 20th, 2008, 01:08 AM

I don't see how this snus stuff is different to just using nicotine chewing gum. To use the gum you chew it up a little bit then tuck it between your cheek and gum.

And it is stupid to say smoking is HEALTHY for you. No it isn't.

(and I'm a smoker too but I don't try to find ludicrous justifications for it).
Dec 20th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Do any of you people have a sense of HUMOR? Geez, I would have thought you could have seen that I was making fun of my own smoking. Yes, this thread started as an informational thing for smokers on long flights. But the tight butts in here that need to whine about anything and everything that doesn't relate to white shoes or where to eat in London seem to miss this.

Oh and for the folks who need to have all of the incidentals...I am 56 and have smoked for 42 years, weigh 208 lbs, 6'1" tall. I do not drink nor do drugs, other than nicotine and the crap that my doctors prescribe for my liver cancer. I have a Master's degree. I have a dog, two cats. My favorite band is The Who. I can hold my breath for over 1 minute underwater. I speak, sortof, 4 languages plus ASL.

As you will have noticed I said smoking is an ADDICTION, that isn't a good thing.

Show me one place in my posts that I have stated that someone should break the law. I stated "Yes, Sweden actually got an exemption from the EU when it entered in 1994. Snus is now available in the U.S. and Canada." And by the way, it is banned from SALES in the EU, not from use.

Oh and one more thing, a little bit of other info, Sweden has the highest tobacco use in Europe, but has the lowest instance of lung cancer in it's male population. While no CONCRETE evidence exists the majority of the MALE population uses Snus. It's female population, which are not users, have the equivalent rates of lung cancer as the rest of the EU.

Oh, and yes, you can use nicotine gum or whatever.

dave