Apt/House Rental in Bavaria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

We're planning a trip to Germany at the end of June beginning of July. We'd like to do an apt or small house rental for 4 adults for about a week in Bavaria. At this stage we're open as to where in Bavaria. We thought we'd pick an area and use it as a base to do day trips. I've done a search here trying to find some rental agencies but aren't coming up with much. Any recommendations of places to look for a rental - names of agencies or specific rentals? Thanks
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had good luck with vrbo.com - not in Germany specifically, but in general. This is a listing service for privately owned places. Homeaway.com is another, similar one, but I have not used it.

We are currently researching vacation rentals for Munich and have been looking on both of those sites.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 12:55 PM

Try www.bensbauernhof.com - many good suggestions
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 02:03 PM

I've rented two different apartments in Bavaria: one in Oberammergau from a family and the other in Garmisch through a small local agency. These were both excellent rentals. The Garmisch apartment isn't available any more, but she does have a number of other options.

Here's some info to help you:

An article I wrote on the Slow Europe website about vacations in the German and Austrian Alps, including how to find rentals: http://www.sloweurope.com/travel/gui...adventures.php

My review of our Oberammergau rental: http://www.slowtrav.com/other/vr/review.asp?n=1500

My review of the Erika Kuen agency in Garmisch: http://www.slowtrav.com/other/vr/review.asp?n=3898

This is a wonderful area and well-deserving of a longer stay. We have visited this area many times, and we really enjoyed staying for a full week in vacation rentals in both Oberammergau and Garmisch.

Kathy
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 03:54 PM

You can also write/fax to the various tourist information offices, in the towns where you want to stay. They can give you a list of what's available. Specifically, ask them for availablity of Frienwohnungen. These are apartments either part of a vacation complex, or condos owned by individuals.

To get the addresses/FAX #'s of the information offices, check the Red Michelin Guide Deutschland.

To the places mentioned by the others, I would add Prien. It is about 1 hour train ride from Munich, located at the Chiemsee (lake), which has the Herrenchiemnsee Palace of King Ludwig (of Fuessen fame) on an island accessible by lake boats, and because nearly all trains stop in Prien, you have easy access to Salzburg (1hr), Brchtesgaden (1:45), Aschau (30min), etc. In other words, Prien is centrally located for day trips. For all of these you can use the discounted Bayernkarte/Bavarian day ticket, for EURO 28 for the two (or up to 5) of you.

If you plan to travel by car, there are numerous more opportunities.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 04:10 PM

Treplow has a good suggestion about tourist offices. I know several villages/towns in the Alpine area have information and listings online (Garmisch, Oberammergau, Mittenwald). But they will also send you great booklets of accommodations information.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 04:31 PM

Here is a great apartment setup, with multiple units in Bayerisch Eisenstein, right near the river and just across from the Czech border. The prices are great and the owners are great people, and very honest. I ended up having to cancel a stay and got back every cent with no hassle.

http://www.bavarian-forest-holidays....el-germany.php

dave
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 04:59 PM

My husband and I stayed here in September. Have a look to see if it will suit your needs.

http://www.apart-one.de/
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 08:28 PM

Hi yestravel,

I'm partial to my little town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen, about two hours from the Münich airport. From here, you can easily make excursions to Füssen, Oberammergau, Mittenwald (and further to Innsbruck on the same line); and of course you can spend your days walking in the mountains from the local cable cars at Wank, Kreuzeck, Alpspitz, and the Zugspitze.

I haven't ever stayed in an apartment here, but there are loads of them. Take a look at the town's central website

www.gapa.de

Change the language (you may actually have to do this twice), click on "Find and Book," and then at the search engine, under "Accommodation Type," select "Holiday Flat."

Once you have a short list of apartments, we'll be happy to help you nail it down with location, access to the town, etc.

Let us know as your planning progresses!

s
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 05:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

While we haven't stayed in their appartments, we have stayed in rooms at the Pension Schwalbennestl in Mittenwald on our trips in '05 and '06.

www.schwalbennestl.de

Paul
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much--your responses are a great help. I will check out the various resources you all have provided. As I mentioned I have just begun planning this trip. At this point we plan to fly into Munich stay a few days, then pick up a car and stay for about a week in a rental in Bavaria. We will end up in Dresden and likely fly back to the US from there.
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 06:52 AM

Hi again,

One of the wonderful things about staying someplace central like Garmisch is that you don't need to rely upon a car. Transport here is great -- it goes practically everywhere and makes every trip a fun one. We North Americans don't often get the chance to experience a real, workable train system, so when you get the chance, it may be a good idea to take advantage of it.

And of course, using trains is more green, yaaaay! You can leave the beautiful Alps as clean and fresh as they were when you arrived. I don't have a car here and don't miss it at all --

s
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 12:44 PM

On some websites, if you change the language to English, you will not get as wide a listing of accommodations as you will if you stay in German.
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

swandav2000, thanks for the tips. Love traveling by train, but with 4 people, not sure it would be cost effective, though I realize more green.

bigtyke - good 2 know. Will try to sort thru the German language versions.
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 08:29 AM

Hi again,

Oh gosh, I'm really not trying to beat a dead horse. But it seems you don't know about the Bavaria Ticket -- ??

For 28 E, 2-5 people can travel all day long within Bavaria. There are only two restrictions -- one is that you must travel on regional trains (not much of a hardship as nearly everything in this corner is a regional), and you must travel after 09.00.

The Bavaria Ticket covers all trains and DB busses in this area, and will cover all the excursions I noted.

Here is the page from the DB:

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/DEU/en/pr...r-ticket.shtml

(just click on "Bayern-Ticket (Bavaria-Ticket)"

ok, ok, NOW I'll leave you alone, lol.

s
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Wow -- I sure didn't know about the Bavaria tix -- that does make a huge difference. Do u need to reserve in advance or can u pretty much show up and get a tix? This would be in the beginning of July timeframe. thanks!
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 08:24 PM

Oh, I'm so glad that post was helpful and not irritating!

You cannot reserve seats in any regional trains, and yes you just walk up and buy the Bavaria Ticket. You can either buy the ticket at a machine (there is an "English" button) or at a counter, but the ticket costs 30 E if you buy it at the counter.

Hope everything is coming together!

s
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 10:59 PM

You can actually also buy the Bavaria Ticket in advance at the ticket machines as you can specify the date you want it for. This avoids the morning rush to get the train with coping with the machines!