Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ideas for 2 wk family holiday in southern Germany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're a family of 4 (w/2 teenagers) from Canada wanting to absorb culture in southern Germany / perhaps also Austria (flying into Munich) for 2 weeks in July 2004. Looking for ideas where to go, what to see, what to do (example: we like easy/moderate hiking). Thinking about limiting to 2 to 3 different locations during 2 weeks. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 08:23 AM

ttt
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 10:14 AM

There are dozens of places in Southern Germany where you might settle in for a week or so. Lake Constance (Bodensee), Upper Bavaria (south of Munich), and Franconia (northern Bavaria) are just a few.

We spent some time in Franconia this summer in the pretty town of Neustadt-an-der-Aisch, where we rented an apartment - the most comfortable, convenient and economical way for a family, I think. From this central location, you can do a variety of daytrips to other towns of interest - Bamberg, Nuremberg, Wurzburg, Rothenburg, and more. There's also an open air museum near Bad Windsheim, showing traditional farm life. The train connections there are good, and the travel cheap; daypasses for a group of up to 5 on the regional trains cost 21 Euros weekdays, 28 on weekends (you can use a car, too, of course - I just find the trains more relaxing, convenient, and inexpensive.) Many who rent out vacation apartments have bikes available for guests - our apartment did - which is great for getting around town or riding along the river.

South of Munich, there are dozens of beautiful towns where you can rent for a week or so - that's how the Germans vacation - and daytrip to the mountain towns (Garmisch, Mittenwald, Oberstdorf, Oberammergau, Fussen, just to name a few) or up to Munich. A car is more convenient here for east-west travel, as you will sometimes need to backtrack to Munich if traveling by train (or take a bus.) Diessen is a nic, small base town on Ammer Lake (Ammersee) with plenty of apartment rentals, bike and hiking paths around the lake, and a ferry to Herrsching on the other side of the lake (where you can train into Munich or hike to Andechs Monastery, a must-do!) There are also good train connections out of Diessen to Garmisch, Mittenwald, and Munich. If you don't care about Munich, you can rent for a week in Garmisch or Mittenwald as well - it's a very popular area for hiking and walking.

If you're interested in Bavarian farm culture, try a farm apartment rental - "Urlaub auf dem Bauernhof", in German. One of the reasons to rent an apartment, generally, is that you'll usually be staying in a German home, one whereby part of the home - often the upstairs - has been sealed off and converted into a self-contained dwelling. You get to meet some very normal German people this way, which is usually much more personable than a hotel stay, and it's a cultural experience just seeing how a regular home is outfitted.

The best way to arrange rentals, rather than go through an expensive middleman/agency, is to contact the local tourist office - they'll send you brochures or refer you to their websites, where you'll usually find good info on the rentals available.

I'm sure you'll get some more ideas, but perhaps a look at a good guidebook will help you narrow down your exact areas of interest - Southern Germany is very large.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Russ. Some great information !
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 05:44 PM

Russ,
I always love to read your comments on S. Germany. You were helpful to me two years ago planning a trip.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 05:56 PM

Berchtesgaden is very beautiful. In the summer months you can visit Hitler's "eagle's nest", I think. It has a very scenic spot on the mountain. The Konigsee is nearby as is Salzburg. A lovely area of southern Germany!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 07:22 PM

Hi, We spend a couple of weeks in austria and Germany this summer with our 3 teens going to Salzburg, Durnstein, Vienna, Hallstadt, alpenbach, Innsbruck, Garmisch and Munich. They liked Vienna alot and Munich. We also had alot of fun in Hallstadt...kayacking on the lake and going on the salt mine tour. Garmisch was great. There are some great hikes there. We went to Alpenbach because there was a skate park nearby that my boys spent a few hours at. Any ?'s please ask.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 12:40 PM

Southwestern Germany is GrEEAAT! Freiburg im Breisgau is a small city with its own local mountain, and just on the edge of the Black Forest (Schwarzwald) where hiking along the gently rolling hills, through farms and forests is terrific. A quaint local town within 20-30 minutes is Staufen im Breisgau, with fabulous local cheese shops and a wonderful schnapps distillery. Buses go in all directions from here into the black forest. Try to find a Ferienwohnung (vacation apartment) for a minimum of five days or so to save on costs. You'd have your own bedrooms and bath, with cooking facilities. A lovely hike is between St. Peter and ? St. Margaret. Triberg is the quintesscential town of the cuckoo clock --crowded with tourists during the day, but a decent base for area hikes. It boasts a 7 tiered waterfall (not huge by any standard) and MANY red squirrels! I am DREAMING of my next trip back to this region! And REAL Schwarzwaelder Kirschtorte with cherry schnapps, chocolate cake, whipped cream and sour cherries is found only in this region.
There is a service called "Wandern ohne Gepaeck" or "Hiking without Luggage" which offers 3, 5, and ?7-day self-guided hikes, where you get a night in a local B&B, then hike on to the next leg, while the B&B takes care of transporting your luggage to the next point. I believe it comes with dinner as well. Try to see if they have a website. Happy planning!
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 06:56 AM

Itchy,

You've picked a fine travel destination. My wife and I had a memorable time this summer in Bavaria and Austria, and we're looking forward to a return visit next summer.

Given you have two weeks, might I suggest you strike a balance between urban and rural. Munich and Salzburg are wonderful places to visit. Munich is trendy and upmarket, but also filled with numerous historic sites. You'll want at least three full days to get a true flavor of this exciting, most hospitable city. Salzburg, meanwhile, represents the best in Old World culture, particularly during its August music festival. Dedicate at least two full days to savor Salzburg.

As regards rural parts of Austria and southern Germany, do consider a visit to Hallstatt and its environs, located a reasonable southeast drive from Salzburg. The surrounding countryside is very attractive and Halstatt itself is a stroller's delight. In Germany, Partenkirchen (less commercial than its twin, Garmisch) makes for an ideal base to explore King Ludwig's famous castles and to explore some breathtaking baroque churches, including Wieskirche and Ettal.

Best of luck.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 04:59 AM
jmw

Topping. These are absolutely wonderful replies! They bring back great memories and make me want to go back right away. J.

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 07:35 PM

I visited Munich when I was 18 and I think teenagers would definitely love Neuschwanstein, one of King Ludwig's castles. (It's the one Cinderella's castle is modeled after). It's near Fuessen in southern Germany, and if you take the trail up to the Marienbruecke (Mary's Bridge), not only is it quite a steep hike, the view from the bridge is spectacular. One could continue to go along the trail to get an even better view, but we were short on time and did not make it. Also around there are Hohenschwangau and Schloss Linderhof, two more beautiful castles. Fascinating, to me.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone above who've taken the time to share their wonderful experiences in this region. We've got a lot to plan....and some great information with which to do it! Cheers.