Reload this Page >

APS Film in Europe?

Search

APS Film in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Julie

APS Film in Europe?

I just got back from the camera store, looking to buy a new camera for my upcoming trip to Europe. The salesman told me not to but an APS camera because they don't sell APS film in Europe. Does anyone know if this is true?

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Andre

Julie,<BR><BR>I live in Switzerland and they sell APS cameras here - so I imagine the film must also be available.<BR><BR>However, it's my impression that the APS technology is kinda stillborn - not 35mm film, but not digital either, so I would go for a classic 35mm or a digital camera if I were you.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Doug Weller

Plenty of APS film in the UK!<BR><BR>Doug

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Trish

No problem buying it in Greece.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Alexis

I had no problem finding it in Italy either. At least not in Rome or Venice and the prices were comparable to US.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 04:56 PM
Marc David Miller

I agree with Andre's description of APS as stillborn. Minolta, for instance, is no longer making APS cameras. <BR><BR>Compare prices and availability of APS vs. 35mm film and processing--APS losses out almost all the time. (go to www.bhphoto.com and look at the prices--comparable APS film is close to 2x the price per exposure as 35mm film).<BR><BR>Yes APS film and developing is out there, but not in nearly the same quantity (or quality or variety) as 35mm film<BR><BR>Take a look at<BR><BR>www.photo.net<BR><BR>if you want a detailed discussion of APS technology, but for the sake of longevity of your equipment, cost of film/processing, and quality of prints, generally 35mm is the best choice.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Lucy

APS film was freely available in France too! Just to offer a dissenting opinion I love my canon elph II camera & the photos I get out of it! Yes, the negatives are a bit smaller than 35mm but that is not a big issue unless you are planning on 'blowing up' prints to a much bigger size. I love the flexibility of the 3 different print sizes - my panoramic photos in France turned out fantastic. Also make sure you get some B&W films as well - the prints look wonderful!<BR>You can check out reviews of my particular camera at epinions...<BR>http://www.epinions.com/elec_Cameras-APS_CanonELPHH-Canon_ELPH_2<BR>

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Bob

APS no problem in Europe. I love my Canon Elph and take it all over. Great shots.