Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Are US batteries and Europe batteries the same?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 01:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this is a stupid question... but are AA batteries in the US available and identical to AA batteries in Europe (Italy specifically)? Just bought a camera today and need to know whether to stock up here or if I can buy them in any store over there.

Thanks!
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 01:08 AM

Yes, ordinary consumer batteries are the same everywhere in the world, although the designations of the batteries vary. For example, in some regions, AA batteries are called LR6, but you should be able to find them anywhere, and they all work the same.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 01:28 AM

yes, the same.

i would look into rechargables for your new camera. a quality rechargable (with a high Mah rating) will operate cameras better (especially digitals). they are inexpensive, better for the environment, and many chargers are dual voltage.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 03:25 AM
ira

Hi P,

Good advice from W. Your camera will gobble up regular batteries.

Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 03:31 AM

Are they actually making digital cameras that do NOT have rechargeable batteries?????
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 04:25 AM

I used to bring an older model camcorder and would buy batteries in Europe (it took 6 AA at a time).
Maybe it was the cold weather, but the batteries' lifespan was about half of the ones here. And they cost about 30% more.
Yes, try to find a small efficient charger that includes 240V for use in Europe. You'll still need the 2 prong adapter plug, though.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 04:57 AM

Just thought I'd tell you my experience buying a battery charger at Best Buy. A NIGHTMARE. It took forever to find if it were or were not dual voltage. (not) The only one that my local store had that was dual voltage was the size of a smallish elephant.

I found a much more compact model that charges 4 AA or AAA at Radio Shack that is dual voltage. It took about 2 hours to fully charge while in Europe using an adaptor. Nice and easy.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 05:33 AM

I'm confused. If the charger was dual voltage, why did you need an adaptor? Do you mean a European plug? Or am I not understanding?
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies!

The camera came with two standard rechargeable batteries, but there isn't enough time to charge them before we leave. The plan, I guess, is to buy 4 or so here, then charge the rechargeables once we arrive in Rome. We've got two adapters so we should be set.

Flight leaves in 3.5 hours.... off to figure out what else I've forgotten to do.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 06:12 AM

Kristinelaine:

>> I'm confused. If the charger was dual voltage, why did you need an adaptor? Do you mean a European plug? Or am I not understanding? <<

You are not understanding. An "adaptor" means a plug adaptor -- has nothing to do w/ voltage.

What you are thinking is an adaptor, is actually a converter. No, you do not need a converter if the appliance is dual voltage - but you would need an adaptor.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 08:52 AM

On a trip where I did not take a charger, I've had good luck with E2 lithium batteries (that's "E-squared) in my digital camera. They are not rechargeable, but the really do last much longer than regular alkaline batteries.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 12:09 PM

I have a Sony Cybershot [ancient] that has rechargeable batteries and a dual voltage recharger for the same. I need an ADAPTER [not a converter] to get the right thingies for the whatzzit.

It also takes regular AA batteries. So I always keep two in my purse just in case the batteries run out of juice in the middle of the Alps or something.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 01:20 PM

Yes, they're the same, Politicaux. If you go with the rechargables, I'd recommend looking for a set of NiMH (Nickle Metal Hydride, I believe that stands for). They last so much longer at top charge on compared to NiCd type and waaaay longer than your average throw aways. Just be sure the charger is rated for 220 volts before you buy it and bring a Euro plug adapter.

<i>Are they actually making digital cameras that do NOT have rechargeable batteries?????</i>

Yes actually. They're making cameras that don't come with batteries at all and have for a long time. Many midsize cameras take AA batteries, either rechargable or the packaged disposables.

On the other hand, many top end cameras as well as many low end tiny cameras come with a proprietary battery designed specifically for the camera.

I own both. While the AA style is nice in a pinch, most of the cameras that take AA batteries are also real power consumers and even wear down a charge on a NiMH AA pretty quickly while I've gone through 700 shots on one charge on my Nikon DSLR and 250+ on a charge with the Konica Minolta X50 (a tiny P&amp;S with a propietary battery)