Digital camera batteries in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're getting ready to head to Italy this fall, and are very close to buying a digital camera before leaving. However, the camera we want to buy only uses the manufacturer's rechargeable batteries. Will we need to buy an adapter for the battery charger? I used such an adapter in Spain and it wound up frying my electric razor.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 09:08 AM

If your charger works with 220v then you will only need an adaptor. Otherwise you will need a converter.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 09:17 AM

I think almost all digital cameras include a multi-current charger, so they can sell them world-wide, but it is something you should check. I have been using a Canon for about two years, and I bought a second battery, just to be sure. I recharge the camera overnight. In the two years of heavy use, I have only needed the backup battery once, and that was way up in the mountains where there are so many pictures to take, but the cold weather weakens the battery.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 09:52 AM

The battery charger will have a place on the plug that says "output". If it says 110V - 220V, or something close to it, you're all set. All you will need is an adapter for the plug. Otherwise, you'll need something to convert the electricity.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Most of them use 110 to 240, so an adapter is all that is necessary. We just picked up a new Nikon for my son in Sorrento (even with tax, it turned out to be about $40 cheaper than at home), which also takes two AA batteries so you can continue to use the camera while the batteries are recharging. It is great!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:29 AM

We bought an Olympus digital camera about a month ago, right before our honeymoon. We bought a $20 adaptor/converter kit from Target and it worked just fine on our battery charger
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:40 AM

My Canon worked fine with just a plug adaptor. No current converter needed.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips.

Our Canon S-50 just shipped today.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 04:30 PM

mebanese-
actually, it is the INPUT on the transformer that one must check to be sure that it will accept up to 220V (European standard), not the output. One must also check the output to be sure that it is in the acceptable range for the device you are charging.

Geeklawyer-
An adaptor simply makes the plug fit into the round pin shaped European socket, it does nothing to alter the strength of the local current. This is likely what happened to your electric razor in Spain. It requires a converter (aka transformer) to change the 220 volt current in order to safely charge a US (110 volt) device.
As advised above, check your owner's manual carefully to see if the power cord/charger you received will work worldwide (or at least in Europe), because if you try to use a non-conforming charger you will very likey irrevocably fry your device. Some devices come with a built-in transformer, some do not.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 04:35 PM

Do you see why my husband usually takes care of these things?! Sorry for the misinformation.
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Postscript:

We got out camera through a refurb company, and it was the European model (different color with European battery charger). The charger also works with American outlets, so problem solved!