Digital cameras in europe, SAFE?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are digital cameras safe in Europe, It is very compact and easier to carry then my SLR?
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 11:58 AM
uuhhhh

huh??? if you mean, do they work the same in europe as in the usa, the answer is yes.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 12:00 PM

jcat -- Used my Cannon Elph last year for three weeks in Italy, no problem. Get an extra battery, tho, because you don't know when you will be able to recharge..

You probably will eant to get a larger memory card. I had a 256k and a 128k CF.
One day soon I'll finish my album and post the access.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 12:09 PM

We used our Canon digital camera on our trip to Italy last October and the pictures were fantastic. Just bring a converter for the battery charger. We even noticed tons of stores selling memory cards and batteries all over.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 01:11 PM

My Canon S45 has a charger that works on both US & European power (220 volts 50 Hz). Believe most digital camera chargers automatically adjust 3when you plug in. However you will need a plug adapter to fit european sockets.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 01:12 PM

Our battery charger says it is 110 & 220. Worked fine on 220 line last month.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 01:15 PM

Ok, Ok, I meant adapter...
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 02:30 PM

I've used digital cameras all over Europe for the past 4 years - I'm a total convert from my former film SLR days. The above posters are correct that all you need is an adapter for whatever countries you are going to - every battery charger I've seen is able to do both 110/220. Check it just to be sure but I have three digital cameras and the chargers that came with all of them were dual voltage. I also have a "generic" - (i.e. not specific to cameras) AA charger from Radio Shack and that one is also. They all work fine. Depending on the resolution you shoot at and how many shots you tend to take, you can get a couple of large memory cards or invest in a portable storage media like a digital wallet (by mindstor - they have a website). It's basically a mini hard drive that will store thousands of shots. You just download your memory card when it's full. Then when you get home you transfer everything onto your computer. But since memory cards have come down in price so much recently you might do just as well to just get a few of them. You are right about digital cameras being much lighter than film SLRs.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 03:28 PM

ok, ok swalter518... Just don't forget to pull it out of the plug when you go home. My set of adapters is now 1 short. I also erased by whole card when I got home. BEFORE I DOWNLOADED IT ON MY COMPUTER!! I AM awaiting a rescue job from imagerecoverypro.com. I will let you all know how it works out.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:21 PM

You will have no trouble with a digital camera in Europe.

I'm paranoid so I took my laptop and downloaded my pictures each evening then saved them to a CD. That way I had the photos on a CD and on my hard drive.

When we got home, I put the photos I wanted printed onto a separate CD and had them printed at the local photo shop.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 09:31 PM

Glad to hear that digital cameras are safe in Europe, including Italy.

After reading all the posts about petty theft and the gypsy problem in Italy, I was getting distinctly worried...I was even thinking of buying disposable cameras for our trip!

Would the same be true of digital camcorders? On the previous vacations, we've filmed the trips, so that we can share with family and friends...The camcorder is about several years old--it might actually be outdated even! Should we bring our digital camcorder to our upcoming trip to Italy?

Lil
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 09:50 PM
lyb

Italy is not filled with people waiting to rip off...relax!!!

I took a SLR camera with lenses, worth more than $1000 this summer, my friend had her camcorder and we weren't attacked by mobs trying to rob us.

Once again, relax but use common sense, just like you would in any large cities, or smaller cities and any large crowds!