Search

Apartment

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apartment

We arrived in Paris and our apartment was not ready. The apartment was dirty and didn't have what I would think are essential items like toilet paper, a trash bag in the can...

The owner gave us the keys and took off on his own two day holiday.

We immediatly left the apartment and took up residence in a nearby hotel.

We asked for a refund of our rent and deposit, but he has refused to give anything back.

He says that his visitors supply all of their own essentials, and he provides salt and vinegar.

He admitted that there should have beenTP inthe bathroom, but saw it as a minor quibble.

Wwe had just arrived on Christmas Evew and had no idea where we might track down TP and the like.

We filed a dispute with paypal. He is now saying that he will only return our security deposit, IF, we drop our pay pal complaint and state that everything was OK.

Is it unreasonaable to expect TP, a trashbag, a decent cleaning, not tomention top sheets on the bed?

For $200 a night?
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 06:21 AM

A decent cleaning, definitely. Most apt will have at least some TP then you supply any more if needed and leave the remainder. I'd expect at least a few trash bags until you can get to a store or use the plastic bags from the grocers.

It is not uncommon not to have a top sheet. The duvet cover serves as a top sheet and is changed along with the bottom sheet.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 07:05 AM

Please let everyone know where the apartment is located and who you rented it through. Others may want to avoid it.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 07:28 AM

I am sorry about your experience. However, this is the chance you take with an apt rental. Renting an apt is like the stories you read in kindergarden..when it(she) was good it(she) was very very good and when it was bad it was horrid. Please let us know the outcome. I was burned once but fortunately only a 3 day rental. I now try to do my homework very carefully.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 08:54 AM

Clean, most definitely. I think you should have taken a few pics of the things that were substandard.

Toilet paper should have been provided (at least one on the roll), but you would be expected to pick up more.

I've found that rather than what we consider "trash" bags in the US, France and Italy use the small plastic bags that come from the grocer. Once filled you take it to the dumpster or down the chute. There was probably a stash of these, but you didn't realize that's what they were for.

As someone said earlier, top sheets are rare. The duvet is intended to serve the same purpose.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM

It depends how dirty it was, but on the other issues, I agree with the landlord. Unless there was something else in the agreement that specifically said you would be provided TP and trash bags. Otherwise, you rented an apt., people don't seem to comprehend that idea that an apt. is not a hotel and you should be prepared to buy EVERYTHING that is not specified, which would be any supply whatsoever as far as I'm concerned. I've rented several and bought my own supplies, as that what I expect when I rent an apt. I think they did have some TP (one only had a partial roll), but I never would have walked out or demanded a refund if it hadn't. I don't remember the apts providing trash bags, but why is that a big deal, you don't have any trash right away anyway. I always have a few extra grocery bags in the pouch of my suitcase when I travel, anyway (the plastic kind).

I suspect you didn't have any of that written down in the agreement or you would have mentioned that it was in the contract. So it was just your expectations. Now whose fault is it that you rent an apt and forego the amenities and convenience of a hotel and don't figure out anything ahead of time as to what you will do to buy supplies, and don't bring any of your own just in case for a day or two.

So, yes, I think you are being unreasonable on the supplies issue. I can't comment on the cleaning as I would expect a place to be clean, but don't know the condition of the place. I've been in 4* hotels that don't have top sheets, also, again hard to say without seeing it if that was a duvet situation or just negligence.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 04:49 PM

Have to ask - why did you let him get away before you looked around and found it to be dirty? Did you not ask for a contact in case of emergency? Did you stay in he hotel or did you contact him when he returned from his two day holiday?
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Old Dec 28th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all.

My only other apt rental was in Rome and it was so much better that it was difficult to tell what was we should expect.

During the short period I was with the owner my wife was several floors down, watching the bags.

She was upset that he hadn't checked the apt prior to arrival and took this to mean he simply didn't care. I tend to make the best of situations, but she is a bit more strident.

I figured I would let PayPal sort it out as the disinterested third party. I was a bit surprised that he would withold my security deposit, saying that "security deposits are for problems and this is a problem." Then basically tell me later that he would only return it if I agreed to close the complaint stating that everything was just swell.

I can't very well take him to Judge Judy so it would seem that I am in a bit of a bind.

It would appear that my expectations (other than cleaning) were a bit to high. But that is why I dropped in here to get a bit of perspective. I would have never thought to put TP in a contract

It is on to the UK tomorrow and we will be bouncing around a bit so we are staying in hotels.

Old Dec 28th, 2008, 08:32 PM

It certainly doesn't seem fair that he's withholding your deposit. Since you left without using the apartment you certainly didn't damage anything.

Holding the deposit until the rental issue is resolved is blackmail, IMHO. He now has ALL the funds--deposit, rental, etc. It isn't like you never paid the rent (which would certainy entitle him to keep the deposit).

Weird. I'd like to know the apartment and the agency you rented through.
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 03:41 PM

I've rented apartments for years in countries and , as far as I'm concerned, there's no excuse for a dirty apartment. And yes, I would expect some toilet paper and not have to arrive, exhausted, possibly late at night and on a weekend, and then run around and look for some. I, however, pack my own just in case.

Everywhere that I've rented apartments, in other countries and cities, toilet paper has been provided. I don't know why this is such an issue in Paris and I've been going to Paris, almost annually, for over 3 decades. I've had problems getting it in hotels at times which is why I started packing my own decades ago.

There was another, recent thread, on this subject. I don't remember what the thread was entitled, but maybe you can scroll and search for it and read the comments. Or maybe I can find it for you. Sorry for your crappy situation and at $200. a night, I'd be ticked,too.

What agency did you use and what apartment was it? Happy Travels!
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 03:53 PM

Poobah...I found the thread that I was referring to. It's entitledquot; No toilet paper in Paris on Sundays and other fun European Adventures!" It was posted on 12/10/2008. Sorry, I don't know how to do links yet. But, I've topped it for you and it's in with the general European threads. Happy Travels!
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 03:57 PM

Here's the link:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...amp;dirtyBit=1
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

The other thread was posted above this one so I saw that I wasn't so special.

We are now in Liverpool at the Holioday Express at Albert Dock. There are twqo rolls on the wallsand the tips were folded into little points
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 04:12 AM

Poobah: Where was your Paris apartment and who did you rent from? Is there a link on VRBO?
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 06:58 AM

sf7307- That's the wrong link. Happy Travels!
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 07:28 AM

Yes, Poohbah, please tell us where you found your apartment rental. And maybe do a review of it on www.slowtrav.com.

I prefer to rent from agencies and use a credit card. It's easier to dispute a charge on a credit card.