Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Apartment Rental - paying in cash upfront

Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone rented the apartment called La Rosa di Venezia in Venice? The website shows it as fantastic, and the price is equally fantastic. The owner is Austrian and wants me to send the payment in full in cash (half now, second half by 30 days prior to arrival) -- Western Union money order or transfer. I'm concerned and I let him know, and he said that he's rented to people all over the world and it's always and only the Americans that are concerned and that he doesn't quite understand it. I have rented in Tahoe where I pay it all upfront, and I understand the reason why. But I guess I'm more hesitant due to the distance. I'd love to hear if anyone has any experience renting direct from owner who only takes cash upfront? Thanks!
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:41 AM

We rented our apartment in Paris that way. 25% upon rental; the balance 30 days before we got there. He took a check from our US account. It worked out totally fine, but if we had arrived and there had been no apartment I can't imagine what our recourse would have been.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:06 PM

Claire, I happened to remember a review of this specific apartment on the Slowtrav website. They also have a message board there, so you might even be able to reach the reviewer.

Address to the review:
http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/review...viewnumber=292
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:42 PM

Funny, I have the opposite concern. I have reserved an apartment in Venice with Lamberto Deho, recommended by someone here. He wants no money or deposit up front, just pay in full when we arrive. What scares me is NOT having a deposit. What if someone wants to stay longer and he agrees? I've been assured he's totally honest, but somehow I think I would almost feel more confident if I paid a deposit. In fact, the same rules apply to the apartment in Montepulciano we're renting -- al poggiolo.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:05 PM

Patrick - I've also reserved the al poggiolo in Montepulciano with no deposit. I was a little concerned as it is the only place in Italy that I didn't have to put up a deposit. But there is a good review of this apt. on Slowtrav.com and I have had a lot of correspondence with the apt. owner. She is even supplying a baby cot for my grandson. We'll be there in May.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:09 PM

We also are renting in Montepulciano (Politian). I gave them my CC number, but don't have to settle up with them until arrival.

I personally would not be comfortable giving cash up front -- at least you have some recourse using a credit card.

Having said that, we rented an apartment in Paris and paid 1/2 by check to a Boston address, and the remainder 30 days before we departed. It appeared to be a reputable company, and they were. I guess it all depends upon your "comfort level."
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:50 PM

I just sent a check for my 25% deposit on an apt in Venice for Sept...another 25% due 2 weeks before we go. I'm a bit nervous about it, but more that our plans may change and we might need a larger apt. I used Venice Rentals ... sent a check to their Boston address. I can understand why they want a deposit, and I like knowing that I have a definite reservation.

Anne
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:05 PM

i've just returned from a week in venice...we rented an apartment in dorsuduro and were requested to make a deposit (about 30%) a few months before the rental and to pay the full rent upon arrival...the deposit served as a security deposit....i had no problem with this and it worked out fine...the landlord had not even cashed the deposit checks and offered to return them to me...
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:37 AM

Claire:

We are also considering a rental in Venice at La Rosa di Venezia" apartment.
Can you give us a piece of quick advice?

Clay & Andrea N. California
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Clay & Andrea: This is a VERY old (2004 thread that didn't have the best of titles to begin with.

I suggest you re-post w/ a title that says what you want to know. Something like "Venice - La Rosa di Venezia apartment, anyone stayed stayed there?"
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh - I see you did start a new thread . . . . . .
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 08:41 AM

Thanks JanisJ!