Anything interesting near Gatwick?

Feb 19th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Anything interesting near Gatwick?

So I'm going to be travelling through London, Gatwick on my way to Greece in May. I have a fairly lengthy layover at Gatwick airport (about a day). Does anyone know of a good pub or place to hang out for several hours?

Thanks!
George
Feb 19th, 2007, 08:12 PM

It really depends on how many hours you actually have between flights. It is very easy to get into central London from Gatwick. If you have long enough and you're not lugging around luggage this is probably your best bet. Most of the nearby towns to Gatwick are pretty dismal. New hotels are meant to be opening soon in Gatwick and Heathrow where you can rent a small room for a few hours for a rest and a shower. I am hoping this will be the case when my husband has the joy of 6 hours there before a flight to Corfu.

Good luck,
Carolena
Feb 19th, 2007, 10:03 PM

The main alternative to London is Brighton BUT a lot depends on what "about a day" really means
Feb 20th, 2007, 04:00 AM

Gatwick rail station links straight to Brighton. So if you can lose the luggage then you can go. www.thetrainline.co.uk should advise and the trains are normally on time.

Alternativley you can go to London wither Victoria or lines into KingsCross Thameslink

No there is nothing to do locally
Feb 20th, 2007, 04:05 AM
ira

Hi S,

The town of Horley has a very nice pub (Six Bells) and a very old church.

Feb 20th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Luggage shouldn't be an issue...except for my backpack. I'll have about 12 hours there each day. This is all while waiting for my connecting flight to Rhodes, Greece...and of course on my way back to the States.

I'm not really looking for anything extravagent. Just a good pub (where the locals hang out). I'll definitely check out the Six Bells Pub thanks!
Feb 21st, 2007, 06:56 PM

SopMan99

We had one evening at our hotel near Gatwick. The desk clerk recommended
Six Bells for dinner. Turned out to be one of our best and most fun evenings of our trip. Truly unexpected pleasure. The food was not gourmet, just really good and we meet some very interesting Brits and Americans.
AKNIC
Feb 21st, 2007, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

That sounds awesome...

The local joints seem to always be a bit more enjoyable hangouts.

So other than the Six Bells Pub is there anything else worth seeing near Gatwick?