Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone know where we can do laundry or get laundry done in Provence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still asking last minute questions! Do any of you know of a self service or full service laundromat in Montpellier, St. Remy, or Gordes areas? We'll need to do some laundry after a week in Spain!

Thanks,
Ginny
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 06:16 AM

I'm not sure about those specific towns, but when we were in Provence last year, the large grocery stores, can't recall the name this morning, not enough of coffee yet, had washers and dryers attatched to them. I could do my laundry, walk around and shop, have breakfast, get gas, and it would be done. It was a great find. They were also very big machines, so you could do a lot of laundry and they were never busy. Maybe someone will remember the name, they are HUGE and usually on the roads leading into the town, they are everywhere...
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi susanna,

Great to hear this. If you remember the name of the grocery store, please let me know. Also, did the machines take coins or paper money? And were they pretty easy to use? I am not very good with the French language. (Not very good with English sometimes either!)

I am hoping we can do laundry on our first day in France, either in Montpellier when we pick our car up at the train station, or near our hotel in St. Remy.

Thanks!

Ginny
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 06:34 AM

In St Remy, there is the equivalent of a "fluff and fold" near the Intermarche grocery store, just on the northwestern edge of town.
I've been told that you can drop your laundry off in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon.

Patricia
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:16 AM

That's it...Intermarche!!! They were extremly easy to use, they took euro coins, maybe 3 for a large load of wash and 50c for 20 mins drying, you can buy the laundry soap inside the grocery store as well as right next to the machines...also, it was just fine to leave them and come back...some did also have a wash/fold service that Pb is refering to. If you can't figure it out, just go inside and ask anyone who works there, the people are so nice in Provence.
Have a wonderful vacation
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:41 AM

We ran into the same situation last fall. After a week in Paris, we definitely needed to wash our clothing. We were staying in the town of Beaucaire so that's where we went to the laundromat (right on the canal). If a town as small as Beaucaire has a laundromat, you can be sure you won't have a problem finding one in Montpellier or St. Remy! We asked our B&B hostess for directions, and that's what you could do. Doing the laundry abroad is pretty much the same thing as at home, so don't worry about it. We loaded our machine and left for a nice little sightseeing walk, came back, loaded up the dryer and came back after a coffee break. All in all, it wasn't a bad way to spend the morning! The laundromats have attendants who are very helpful. One thing I could suggest is have a phrase book handy so you will know how to ask how long the machine runs, if there's folding service available, etc. (For some reason, my French laundry vocabulary wasn't very strong...)
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:45 AM

gopack, if you can't find an Intermarché, look for a Carrefour supermarket. I'm not sure whether they all have self-serve laundrys, but the one on the road into Uzès has one.

Anselm
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 09:03 AM

just to tell you that in a "pressing" like "5 à sec"laundry you leave your stuff and get it back one hour later(or more)and in a "laverie automatique" you do it yourself using coins.
in Dijon, "5 à sec" are in my two Carrefour shopping gallery.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone for this helpful information! This kind of detail is what makes using this board so fantastic!

Off it goes to the printer.

Ginny