Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone has been to Gravedona, Lake Como?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody! What a helpful forum this has been! I'm sure there will be a soul out there to help me as well.
We are planning a driving holiday in Nothern Italy in August (I know, it's going to be busy). We'll embark on Ancona (from Patras, in Greece), drive up to Venice, stay for 3 days in a place called Mirano (has anybody been?) and then we are debating to drive to either Lake Garda or Lake Como and stay for another 4 days before driving back to Ancona to take the boat back to Greece. My questions are these:
1. Is Gravedona a good place to stay for 4 days or it will be boring and we should stop elsewhere for another couple of days.
2. We want to avoid staying in Bellagio or Varenna as we think they will be very busy then. Does anybody have any suggestions for quite places nearby that we can use as bases for touring?
3. Ideally we would like to see both lake Garda and Lake Como in this trip. Is it worth it or we should stick to Lake Como?
I would appreciate any input from people who have been there already.
PS: We are travelling with our two teenage sons (14 and 17). Any suggestions to avoid long faces for long periods?
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:57 AM

> Is Gravedona a good place to stay for 4 days or it will be boring < Yes, I think it'll be boring. That's not the most scenic area of the Lake.

> We want to avoid staying in Bellagio or Varenna as we think they will be very busy then. Does anybody have any suggestions for quite places nearby that we can use as bases for touring? <
In or near Menaggio - go by boat to Bellagio and Varenna.

> I would appreciate any input from people who have been there already. <
The northern end of Lake Garda is very scenic and, since you'll be closer to Venice, I'd go there and not to Lake Como.

> in a place called Mirano < Do you mean MUrano? (It's an island in the Lagoon.)

Old May 20th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I would not choose Gravedona. It's probably one of the least inviting areas of what is an extraordinarily beautiful spot on earth.

We stayed in a hotel in Lenno in October. Albergo Lenno (google for their website.) Very small village, absolutely lovely hotel, very peaceful, quiet, etc., especially compared to Bellaggio. I can't say enough good things about it. They also speak & write flawless English, so you can communicate readily with them.

Enjoy your trip!
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Boat service for Gravedona is much less frequent than boat service for the towns in the mid-lake area.
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input everybody! Lucie, the Albergo Lenno looks terrific and it's got a garage as well. I just e-mailed them for a quote and availability. You know, I never thought about staying in Como itself believing that the traffic will be horrendous. Is it?
Tuck, I'm looking into Menaggio as well. It looks very pretty for sure.
No, I meant Mirano, not Murano. It's in the outskirts of Venice, eastbound. We will be staying in a Hotel called Villa Patriarca.