Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone familiar with InterConnex in Germany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at options to get from Berlin to Leipzig, came across something called InterConnex (www.interconnex.com) that seems to be a reasonable way to go (only 12 euro each way) but it looks like there is just one train per day. It would work for us but I am a little (OK more than a little) concerned that I may be missing something because of my non-existent German skills. You know, just little things like can I / do I need to reserve in advance, can I buy a ticket online, pay on the train, or what? Thanks to any who can help.
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:18 AM

Mail your questions to Interconnex
([email protected]). I am sure you got all informations you need (in english).
You need a german bank account to buy tickets via internet. They don't accept Credit Cards.
You can buy tickets at the stations or in the train. Tickets at the Staions: €12
Tickets in the train: €15.

Manfred
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Manfred. In fact I did just receive a reply from the very helpful staff in Germany. My previous inquiry was directed to the US office and was returned as undeliverable, thus my concern.
This sounds like a great option - better for our schedule and lower cost than on DB, so we will try it. Unfortunately, the frequency is rather limited and the last return from Leipzig departs at 1355 (we cannot leave until later in the afternoon) so we will need to find other arrangements.
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:09 AM

If you don't mind the slower trains you can travel with the respective "Ländertickets". For Berlin - Leipzig you need a Länderticket Berlin-Brandenburg and a Länderticket Sachsen. Each costs 24 Euro if you buy via Internet (www.bahn.de) or from the ticket machine (but you cannot buy a Sachsen-Länderticket in Berlin, so better buy in advance via Internet.)

The Ländertickets are valid from 9 am to 3 am next day and you can travel with max. 5 persons. You can only use Regional/local trains (IRE, RE, RB) which are slower and stop at almost every station.

You can also buy at the ticket desk, but it costs 2 Euro more. Buying on the train is yet more expensive - don't know about the surcharge, probably yet 3 Euro more.
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ingo. The InterConnex far is only 12 euro Zoo to Leipzig, 15 if you buy on the train, and it is a shorter transit time, so that's probably the way we'll go. For the return trip it will be DB, looks like. The Länderticket would wind up being 96 euro and the standard DB fare is 72.
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:22 PM

How many people are travelling?

Calculating with two travellers the Länderticket would be 48 Euro one way. The DB fare is between 26 Euro (RB,RE trains), 36 Euro (ICE) and 43 Euro (ICE, RE) one way ONE person. Seems that for the train ride back to Berlin the Ländertickets are cheaper.
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Duh - my mistake. I didn't realize that a single Landerticket allowed up to 5 people to travel. Thanks again