Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train from Berlin, Germany, to St. Goar, Germany

Old Jun 15th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to take a train around 6 a.m. on July 5, 2009, from Berlin, Germany, to St. Goar, Germany.

1) On the bahn website, there are several Berlin stations to choose from. What is the name of the train station?

2) Should I purchase these tickets today or wait until July 5th?

Thank you!
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 10:30 AM

Which one of those stations in berlin will you be closest to?

I don't see why you cannot wait until you get to germany to puchase the tickets
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 10:47 AM

if you can grab the 39 euro or so tickets on bahn.de then do it - otherwise locally you will have to pay a whole lot more - like more than 100 euros as the discounted tickets are only online and often go fast - book as far ahead as possible. But like dukey says there will be no problem buying a ticket and getting on a train once there. If going to pay full price then consider a German Railpass as the Berlin-St Goar full price ticket could almost by itself make the pass pay-off.
For lots about German trains and passes i always mention three fine sites with lots of objective content: www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id9.html
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 11:16 AM

>>> 1) On the bahn website, there are several Berlin stations to choose from. What is the name of the train station?

It depends on the location of your hotel or whereever you stay. You will probably board the train at Hauptbahnhof but you may take a regional train or S-Bahn in order to get to Hauptbahnhof. If you had given more detailed information, you would have gotten a more precise answer.

>>>2) Should I purchase these tickets today or wait until July 5th?

Yes, today, in this minute. For the train departing at 8:50, you can get a ticket at 39 Euros IF YOU BUY IT NOW. Wait until tomorrow, and it can be sold out.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:22 AM

As traveller1959 stated, you should purchase your ticket right now. Please remember that those specials are only good for those trains on that date that you book them for. No changes or refunds.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 10:19 AM

It should be noted that many Fodorites have had little problem booking online discount fares, which are not available at the stations i believe, on bahn.de - you may hear tons of horror stories about frustrated Fodorites who have had problems with similar tickets on French Rail (sncf.com), Spanish Rail renfe.es and especially on the horrible Italian rail site - trenitalia.com. And if you have problems there are IME helpful Fodorites who will walk you thru the process from experience. But with bahn.de it seems fairly straight forward - though i believe they still mail the tickets so make sure there is ample time for that.
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

I booked my tickets on-line and got the discounted ticket at 39 Euros! That is a great price, and my 14-year-old daughter will ride free of charge. The bahn.de website gave me the option to print my own tickets instead of having them mailed.

Thanks to all of you!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 12:52 PM

Gern geschehen. Gute Reise!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 02:20 PM

Or Gute Fahrt as i seen often on posters in German train stations and on trains!
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 12:40 AM

>booking online discount fares, which are not available at the stations i believe, on bahn.de

If the ticket is still available you can book it anywhere - in a station, online or from a ticket machine. But at the station you pay 5 € extra.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:09 AM

thanks for that info altamiro! so if buying a ticket on site always ask for the cheapest fare - or would the clerk automatically tell you about it?
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Consumers' organization are regularly testing the ticket offices in train stations. In most cases - but not always - they will offer you the cheapest fare, especially when you are travelling with several persons.

The first problem is that you should book early in order to get the low-fare contingents which are quickly sold out. (OP was lucky to get the 39 Euro-ticket.) The second problem is that there are often long lines in front of the ticket counters. It is not unusual that you have to wait 30 minutes or more, especially if it happens that the people in front of you have complicated bookings.

Conclusion: If you are planning in advance, try to book online ASAP.