Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

anybody taken an overnight train from paris to rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 01:14 PM
lee

Has anyone taken an overnight train from paris to rome? How was it?

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Bob Brown

A friend of mine took the overnighter from Paris Bercy to Rome. The train involved no changes, hence no getting up in the middle of the night to change.<BR>The route takes you through Genoa and Pisa. She said the trip was ok and that it was long enough that she slept ok. Do not take one of those couchettes things, however. I don't know all of the sleep options,and unfortunately my friend is out of town at the moment so a direct question is not possible. Remind me again directly in a week and I can ask for you.<BR>

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Jayelle

I took the trip in reverse, from Rome to Paris. I opted for a first-class sleeper. The sleepers are private, as opposed to the couchettes which are shared with other people. It was equipped with two bunks and a sink for washing up. Toilets were at the end of the car. The attendant sets up the beds for you, and takes your passport the night before so that any immigration formalities at the border crossing can be completed while you sleep. The passport is returned to you the next morning. I slept well and enjoyed the trip. My suggestion is to take some water and snacks with you, and have an alarm clock so that you can get up and dressed in time.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:17 PM
trigger

I have taken an overnight train from Paris to Rome, it was long but no problems. If I remember correctly it was about 14-16 hours! We didn't have to make any changes. We got there but it's a long time to be in a little cabin, especially if you have less than desired cabin-mates! Look for some cheap flights!

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Ron

We did the Rome to Nice overnight last year. You will get some sleep but it is not the best way to travel even in 1st class sleeper. At almost every stop peaople will get on the train and try all the doors on the sleeper and try to sneak in to an empty sleeper without the attendant catching them. Make sure you lock your door!<BR>We also did the "fast train" from Nice to Paris it was very comfortable in 1st class with assigned seats arranged before we left USA.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Ben Haines

Paris to Rome differs from Rome to Nice. The better of the two Paris to Rome trains is the Palatine Express, from Paris Bercy at 1909 to Rome Termini at 0958. Stops on the way are Dijon at 2150, Chambery at 0022, Genoa at 0607, La Spezia at 0607, and Pisa at 0653. So from 2150 to 0607 the only stop is Chambery, where very few people get on, and nobody gets off. At Italian stops people can only get off, and your conductor is at the door to control that.<BR><BR>Jayelle chose a first class sleeper. The range on this train is 1 berth or 2 berth sleepers with shower and WC en suite, and 1, 2 or 3 berth sleepers with WC at the ends of the corridor and no shower. I agree with Mr Brown in finding the 4 and 6 berth mixed sex couchettes too crowded. All sleepers are for a party, or for single travellers grouped by sex, so you change into pyjamas for the night.<BR><BR>As Trigger says, 15 hours is long stuck in a small compartment. An alleviation is that the conductor has the compartment in day-time order when you board, so you sit and read or watch the scenery in comfort for the first few hours, converts it to sleeping when you ask, and converts it back to seating in the morning when you ask. Another is that the train has a restaurant car, so you can have dinner in a large saloon car as you cross France, and breakfast along the coast from Grossetto to Civitavecchia. To reach the restaurant people walk along corridors, so if you ae leaving your compartment empty you should indeed tell the conductor and ask him or her to lock your door while you are out.<BR><BR>After you board conductors ask you your waking time and whether you want coffee: I have never travelled with an alarm clock. You would need to be tired indeed to sleep trough to Rome.<BR><BR>There is a note on getting the best from sleepers and couchettes at http://www.twenj.com/tipsnighttrains.htm, and there are pictures of sleeper c0mpartments on http://www.seat61.com/, under Europe, then Italy.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>