Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone done the overnight train between Rome and Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe for April 2006. Still not sure exactly where, but one possibility is Rome and Paris.

Has anyone done the overnight train between these 2 cities? Someone on this board recommended the one that leaves Rome at 6:10 p.m. and gets into Paris around 9 a.m. the next morning. How comfortable (or uncomfortable) are these trains? I thought it made more sense than flying between the 2 countries because at night you'd just be sleeping anyways, instead of dealing with the whole airport/flying thing during the day and missing sightseeing time. Any experiences, good or bad, would be great. Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 05:46 PM

I've done that ride and it was fine. I slept most of the trip. However, this was pre-discount airlines and if I had to do it today, I would definitly see what kind of deals I could find flying first. I would much rather be spending dinner in Rome or Paris than on a train.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:10 PM

Yes, I did this many years ago. We had a little compartment for two that was quite comfortable, although I would imagine there are various seating options. I remember the porter bringing us breakfast in the morning but I don't remember what we did for dinner. It was fun to go to sleep in Italy and wake up near Paris!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've flown between the two and taken the train between the two and enjoy both. I'd say I prefer taking the train, because I love taking the train, and I am not a happy flyer. For me, the trains and the gentle rocking motion are very pleasant.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 08:04 PM

Yes, we did this a few years ago and booked a sleeping compartment for two that was cozy but comfortable. Like Surfergirl, I enjoy riding European trains and would do it again.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 12:40 AM

This train has couchettes, sleepers (2- or 3-berth compartments with wash basins) and new 'Excelsior' sleepers which are 2-berth compartments with bathrooms; the most expensive of these has a double bed. The train also has a restaurant car, open for dinner and breakfast. The train goes via Firenze and Bologna, so you can get an earlier day train to either of these, do some sightseeing or have dinner in Bologna, then join the night train to Paris.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 04:28 AM

you can get CHEAP flights - as in cheaper than the train. Chcek out whichbudget.com, easyjet.com or ryanair.com
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 07:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The Excelsior sleepers as Geoff mentioned are the smaller, more compact compartments. Supposedly more "luxurious" with a higher price tag, but in my opinion, much worse than the older universal sleeper cars. Some of these trains have BOTH. You need to check. The biggest compartment on the Excelsior is the "matrimonial" compartment -- one per train.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 08:17 AM

Other than the matrimonial compartment with its double bed, the best compartments are those in First Class that have the toilet and shower en suite.

None of these compartments are oversized by any stretch of the imagination. And yes, there are cheaper ways to get there, and faster ways to get there, but if you are going overnight by rail this is about as good as you are going to find.

The beds are reasonably comfortable IMO and since the train is basically from city center to city center you can eliminate a certain amount of hassle.

Frankly, I'm glad this isn't the way everyone chooses to travel because if they did those of us who enjoy this mode wouldn't ever get a reservation!
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 09:25 AM

We did the overnight train 3 years ago and had our own compartment for 6 people with the pull down sleep beds. One word of warning that may be fixed by now-but shocked us: the train station in Paris did not have an ATM! This was pre-euro so of bigger importance as we had not exchanged our lira for french currency. But in this day and age, you grow to expect certain conveniences. My DH (non-french speaking!) had to treck on his own several blocks away to hunt down $$ for our cab.