Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any way to take a train directly from Naples to FCO?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will need to get from Naples to FCO to catch a 9:20 AM flight. Base on my research, I would have to take the train to Rome Termini and then catch the express to FCO. I think that this would be cutting it very close and may not even make it in time. Is there a direct train to FCO? I could take Alitalia and make it, but the cheapest fare showing on Alitalia's website and on Tavelocity is almost $200. Interestingly, this is the same fare that they show for business class, so it seems that they are charging full fare and giving an upgrade. If I can't take the train, does anyone know a website that would offer a discounted airline economy fare?
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 06:34 PM

Don't know, however it may not be the smartest thing to assume everyone understands FCO is an airport designation for Rome.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 06:50 PM

When I was planning a trip to Italy several years ago, I searched high and low to find a direct route from FCO to Naples and return, to no avail. Unless things have changed in the past five years, you'd need to go into Termini then to FCO. One guidebook (forget which) said there was a direct route, but I have to conclude it was an error, because I never could find it, and believe me, searched diligently!

Alternatively, there was a bus that was loosely related to USAir that made the trip both ways between FCO and Naples. Its primary purpose was to provide transportation to/from FCO for US Navy personnel in the Naples area, but civilians could ride the bus also; the cost was about $30 for the four-hour trip. I'm not sure if the service even exists any more. Maybe someone who knows will post here. You might phone USAirways International Desk to inquire.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 07:02 PM

We had a 10:30 AM flight out of FCO in May coming from Naples....Take the 2 trains the night before and stay at the Hilton Rome right at the airport! I wouldn't risk trying to get there the morning of.
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 07:21 PM

We have the same problem, but I'm coming from Tuscany. We've opted to stay at the Holiday Inn the night before because our flight leaves at 9:30. Maybe catch a taxi into Rome for dinner.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/925/en/hd/romdm

It's about 8-10 miles from the airport. They have transportation to the airport.

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 01:29 AM

Richard - The earliest train from Naples (dep 04.31) gets you into FCO at 07.53.

As others have said, you really need to stay in Rome the night before.

The alternative would be to book a limo service - but that would cost you more than a night's hotel.

Steve
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied. I didn't know there was a train at 4:31 AM - I'll have to think about whether we want to get up that early. We were planning Rome first, then Naples. Maybe we could do it the other way around, but I didn't want to immediately get on a train after the flight from the US. With regard to taking Alitalia from Naples to FCO, I still would like to know if someone can give me a website that has discounted fares and not just full fare.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:00 AM

www.volareweb.com
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:23 AM
ira

Hi Richard,

Unfortunately Volare doesn't fly from Rome to Naples.

>I didn't want to immediately get on a train after the flight from the US. <

It's not that bad. We went directly FCO/Florence and found that spending a little time at the train station helped us relax from the flight.

Train schedules are at www.trenitalia.com/en.

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:24 AM

Richard - Personally I wouldn't risk the 04.31 train.

Similarly the Alitalia flight from Naples (06.55) is scheduled to arrive at 08.00.

Both are cutting it too fine at FCO - you need to check in at least 2 hours beforehand. If either are delayed - you're stuffed.

You really need to stay in Rome the night before.

Steve
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:42 AM

ira,

We are staying at the Holiday Inn you recommended our last night in Italy because it is convenient to getting to FCO in the morning.

How is transportation from the Holiday Inn to downtown Rome. Trying to decide whether to get to the Holiday Inn to check in early and wander around Rome in the afternoon and have dinner, or to get to the Holiday Inn late, eat and stay in the last night.

We'll have a car, but I don't want to drive into the city and hassle with parking, etc.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:31 AM
GAC

I would avoid taking the train from Naples at 4:31. This is a long distance train from Sicily which is often running late.

Now, let's clear up this misunderstanding about the "direct" Naples to FCO train service:

Once upon a time, many years ago, Alitalia began a direct train service between Naples and FCO, mainly to benefit its own passengers. They also began a direct train service between Florence and FCO. Both services were soon discontinued, but some travel guides continue to print this outdated information. This tells you something about the lack of accuracy checks of some travel services.

Today, all train service to FCO requires connecting at Rome Termini (or, in rare cases, at Rome Tiburtina or Rome Ostiense or Rome Trastevere, depending upon your point of origination or destination). From Florence and Naples, virtually all train connections will be at Rome Termini, unless you're transiting in the dead of night.

In some cases, you have the choice of connecting at Rome Termini or at one of the three secondary stations noted above. For example, if you're going to Spoleto, Assisi, Perugia, Orvieto, Viterbo, Civitavecchia or Tarquinia (just to name a few places), you don't necessarily have to connect at Termini, and indeed it may be more convenient (and less expensive) to connect at one of the other stations. Less expensive because the express train between Termini and FCO is twice the cost of the local commuter train which runs from Tiburtina, Ostiense and Trastevere to FCO.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again all. I may consider going straight to Naples as Ira suggests. After all it will be early moring when we arrive in Rome and we may not be able to check into our hotel right away. If we still do Rome then Naples, we also have the option of taking a later flight (to Athens) but it would not leave until 1:10 PM arriving at 4:15 PM. (The tickets are still just a reservation and can be changed). I was hoping to have almost a full day in Athens the first day but maybe it would be better to arrive about four hours later in Athens and have enough time to easily get from Naples to FCO. Decisions, decisions.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 03:49 PM

ttt for ira.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:15 AM

ira,

We are staying at the Holiday Inn you recommended our last night in Italy because it is convenient to getting to FCO in the morning.

How is transportation from the Holiday Inn to downtown Rome. Trying to decide whether to get to the Holiday Inn to check in early and wander around Rome in the afternoon and have dinner, or to get to the Holiday Inn late, eat and stay in the last night.

We'll have a car, but I don't want to drive into the city and hassle with parking, etc.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:30 AM
ira

Hi Budman,

Sorry to be late in responding.

You can email the hotel for their shuttle schedule.

One goes between the hotel and the airport (you could drop car off there)the other goes to Pzza Venezia, near the Vittorio monument.

They have a fairly good restaurant. The buffet is an all you can eat array of anitpasti.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:31 AM

ira, thanks. We'll drive the car to the airport and drop it off the morning of our flight. Is that what you were implying? Or, should I drop the car off at the airport the evening before, and have the shuttle pick me up at the airport and transport me to the hotel?

Does the shuttle take you into Rome, and you taxi back?
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:59 AM
ira

Hi budman,

I was thinking that, after you find out the shuttle schedule, you could drop the car at the airport and take the shuttle to the hotel for your last night. That way you don't have to take the car into Rome.

OTOH, if you arrive at the hotel early, you could take the shuttle into/out of Rome and drive to the airport.

You can also get to the hotel via the metro. Check with them for directions.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Thanks. I think what I'll do is drive to the hotel and try to check in early, and shuttle/metro to/from town and spend the day in Rome, and return the car the morning we are flying out.

Thanks for the tip on Petersen's in Florence. I am finding out that I should have scheduled 3 weeks just for Tuscany instead of 10 days -- but, now it gives me a reason to return.

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 09:15 AM
ira

Enjoy your trip, budman.