Leaving from Rome Or Naples

Dec 20th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Leaving from Rome Or Naples

Hi,

I need some help figuring out which city to leave from. The last stay of our trip will be at the Almalfi Coast. We were wondering if it's better to catch a 6:45am plane out of Naples (we would probably spend the night there) and have 2 connecting flights to get home, OR catch a flight out of Rome, leaving at 1:05pm with one connecting flight home. Were not sure of which would be the easiest of the two. What would you do?
Dec 20th, 2008, 11:29 AM
ira

Hi M,

I would go to Rome the evening before and catch the 1:05 PM flt.

You are really considering getting to the airport at 04:30 in order two make a 2 stop flight?

Dec 20th, 2008, 11:35 AM

Listen to ira - sleep that last night in Rome near the airport. Avoid the risk of a last-minute delay down in Amalfi or Napoli on the way out - be safe and make your flight.
Dec 20th, 2008, 11:36 AM

Go to Rome. Besides the ungodly early hour of your flight, If your flight out of Naples is delayed (more likely to get a delay there than with an international flight out of Rome), you may miss your connections. Also Fiumicino, Rome's airport, is more organized than Naple's airport, although it probably didn't reflect well that I was at the latter during one of Naples's garbage strikes.
Dec 20th, 2008, 11:55 AM

I think it depends on whether or not you have any interest in visiting Naples. If this interests you at all, spend the last night in that city. You certainly do not have to get to the airport at 4:30am! I would strongly doubt if anything is open at the airport at that time!

If you have no interest in seeing Naples, then spend your last night in Rome..you will waste time traveling there, but you will be able to enjoy a night in Rome and sleep a bit later than you would if you sleep in Naples!
Dec 21st, 2008, 07:42 AM

i join with the others, fly out of rome rather than naples @645am.
I do suggest that you stay in rome's centro storico the night before rather than at the airport--make your last night smashing.
Next day, take Leonardo Express from Termini Station directly to the airport. About 30 mintes. Can buy tickets trackside.
Make a picnic out of it and buy a couple of panini in Rome and eat lunch while waiting for the plane to board.
Spend some time figuring out best way for you to get to Naples train station from wherever you'll be on Amalfi Drive. Depending upon when you'll be in Italy, Amalfi Drive can bunch up with heavy traffic.
Dec 21st, 2008, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your feedback! We will be departing out of Rome.
Dec 21st, 2008, 08:35 PM

We were in Italy in September & October and planned to see Rome then Sorrento at the end of our trip & go back to Rome airport area for our last night before flying out of Rome. After checking out the hotel situation at the Rome airport, we changed our plan & did Sorrento before spending a week in Rome. Our hotel there arranged a taxi for our trip to the airport & that worked out great!