Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any restaurants you'd recommend on Mt. Pilatus?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll only be in Lucerne for 2 nights, so I'm not positive we will make the journey to Mt. P, but I am going to try if we have the chance for a nice clear view!

Where would you recommend for a long lunch or evening dinner? We'd be willing to spend $80 or 100CHF per couple if the spot warrants it. If you know of something simple but wonderful, that would be great too!

(I'm not even sure the transportation down is doable after dinner, we're not up for the pricey cable car splurge)

10 more LONG days until we leave
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:43 AM

I wish you great weather and a healthy mountain appetite. Look at www.pilatus.ch - it shows great pictures of what you can look forward to, and lists the restaurants in detail.

WK
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:45 AM

My daughters and I were on a Trafalgar tour to Mt. P in May and happened to get a clear day (or so it seemed down below) and midday took the cable car up and the cable train down the other side. While up there, the clouds went in and out, at times the view was fantastic, 5 minutes later, nothing so it is not terribly predictable but well worth it. In May, I do not recall many choices of places to eat, maybe what they would call out of season. However well worth the visit IF you get good visibility at least part of the time. Have a good one. Halfpint
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 09:05 AM

Hi, as it implies, it's a mountain top (of Mt.Pilatus) so you really have no choice, I think the only restaurant up there is called Bellevue. There could be a simple coffee shop too but that's all. Check out www.pilatus.ch for timetable.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all - glad to hear such wonderful things!@ I'm hoping to do most of our in-town sightseeing one day, and head up Pilatus the next. I had read somewhere there were 7 dining choices... from cafe-type to swanky restaurants.

From looking on the site Wally and kappa gave, it appears not all are on top. Anyone have views on any of them?
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 11:03 AM

I think they may have been talking about places in the area of the Mt - not on the top of it. When we were there it was only the hotel Bellevue - a pretty but simple chalet that had a modest restaurant - with indoor and outdoor sections and typical swiss dishes - as well as a snack bar.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 11:55 AM

I don't know about 7 dining choices. Probably simply you got a wrong information, I guess. From the Pilatus site it seems there are 3 restaurants on the Pilatus circuit (Le Chalet at Alpnachstad, Bellevue at Kulm-the only one at the top and the restaurant at Kriensweg). They are nice Swiss restaurnats but by no means not to miss kind of places so if they are convenient for you (basically for lunch and not for dinner) you can hop in and dine. Otherwise return to Lucerne and find one from many choices that the city offer. Usually you finish Pilatus excursion during the day and will not stay late especially in winter (when are you going anyway?) so I think dining in Lucerne city seem the only choice for your dinner.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 02:19 AM
JN

The last departure from the top is 4:15 by gondola and 5:30 by cogwheel. So, dinner is probably out, unless you want to stay there.

My suggestions would be either Old Swiss House--great food, elegant service, high cost, but no view; or the riverside restaurant in the Des Balances Hotel. Great view, plus good food and high prices. If you want the same view but at a lower cost, and very good fondue, try the Des Alpes Hotel riverside restaurant.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JN - we're actually staying at Des Alpes! I had the Swiss House on my radar screen - so perhaps first evening at the hotel, and 2nd at the Old Swiss House... not that I want to plan every meal, but its nice to know where people have had good experiences!
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:23 AM
P_M

I'll tell you what to avoid. It was a long time ago, but when we were there we bought hamburgers at a hamburger stand on Mt. P. We never could figure out what kind of meat they used to make these hamburgers. Sometimes it's best not to know. amp;

The hamburgers at the restaurant might be better, but do avoid the hamburger stand.