Day trip to Schilthorn from Lucerne?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sommer, we will be in lucerne for five days. We intend to explore the area mostly, but we would also like to take a longer day trip. We'd like to get a taste of the more impresive mountain scenery. We are thinking about mount Titlis, Schilthorn, the Brienzer Rothorn or another mountain with beautiful vistas. Is the (longer) train ride to interlaken more beautiful than the ride to engelberg? Are vistas from the mountains in Berner Oberland worth the two hour journey or would Titlis (one hour from Lucerne) make a more comfortable day?
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:18 AM

Hi chainy,

For what it's worth, I always limit my day-trips to two hours of transport each way -- or else the pleasure of the trip diminishes (and the memories begin to fade even before I'm back in the hotel).

In your case, getting from Luzern to Interlaken is two hours, but Interlaken isn't your stop; it's only the touristy transport hub where, hopefully, you won't spend much time. Getting to the Schilthorn is another hour or so, so your total transport time for that day is around seven hours (about 3h30 each way). So your trip is far beyond my personal limit.

I would stay closer to home -- Engelberg & Titlis.

Good luck!

s
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:23 AM

A nice day trip would be to take the boat to Vitznau and then cog train up to Rigi. On a clear day there are some spectacular views on both sides of the mountain.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 05:44 AM

i agree with Budman. Schilthorn isn't worth it for the time.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd head to Engelberg and the Titlis - the train ride to Engelberg takes just under an hour and the scenery is spectacular in it's own right. A portion of the train trip to Engelberg is via steep cog railway. The trip to the Titlis includes a ride on the world's first revolving gondola over the Titlis glacier and some pretty incredible views. Once at the top, you can visit the Ice Grotto and take the Ice Flyer. If you're up for a hike, suggest you stop at the Trubsee station on your decent and take a walk around the lake.

Engelberg is surrounded by gorgeous mountains and the town is also worth a look - you might want to visit the monestary while you're there (check for tour times). You can also take the Brunni/Ristis cablecar for a different view of the mountains across the valley from the Titlis.

There's a great restaurant near the monestary - Gasthaus Engel - wonderful food.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for the suggestions. Really helpfull! Going to engelberg by train and go up mount Titlis sounds great. I quess there will be enough time to explore the town of engelberg and the monastry as well, since it's only a one hour train ride from Lucerne. It does sound a lot more comfortable than rushing into Lauterbrunnen for the Schilthorn.

We already planned to go to mount Rigi. I'm sure we will enjoy both.
Thanks again.