Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations for a day trip in Lucerne and Basel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A first-timer to Switzerland in March - mostly plan a day trip to each city based from Berne - about 7 days in total. I will travel mainly by a Swiss Pass.

Any recommendation for what I should visit in Lucerne and Basel on a one-day trip for each city?

Thanks a lot
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 08:10 AM

What kind of sights and interests have you identified in these towns during your research? I'd be glad to offer comments on anything you think you'd be interested in...
www.baseltourismus.ch
www.luzern.org
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 08:22 AM

In Basel, focus on the old town. It's quite attractive. You can get there easily by walking from the train station (about 15 mins) or catching a tram (most--but not all--will go to some part of the old town and make sure you board one heading the right way! Practical note: you buy the ticket before you board the tram. There are machines at every stop. You don't need exact change). Basel has several museums, so pick one of those to visit. Also visit the cathedral. A fun thing to do is take one of the little boats across the Rhine (if they're running). They go from "big" Basel to "little" Basel on the other side of the Rhine. The best way to go is to take the boat down below the cathedral over to the other side; if you do it the other way, you will have to walk up a LOT of steps. Basel's historic old town is full of interesting little streets and has some pedestrian-only areas. Very good shopping, FYI, check out the Globus department store (terrific food hall!) and the stores around the Marktplatz area. Also, the Schiesser chocolate shop makes and sells IMHO the best chocolate in Switzerland. A perfect, sweet souvenir are some Schiesser chocolates accompanied by the Etter pear liqueur (Etter is a distillery in Zug; you can buy their liqueurs and eaux de vie in the basement of Globus). Inside the Schiesser confiserie, check out the large drawing of the Marktplatz showing how it looked in the Middle Ages (it's by the staircase).
Fumare/Non Fumare is the "hip" cafe in Basel, right near the Marktplatz. Very good cappuccino. If it's a cold day, you can get a latte or other coffee drink to go from Starbucks.
I spent several weeks in Basel two years ago and have been back numerous times for visits; it's one of my favorite cities. Good restaurants (zum Safran is one of the best restaurants in Basel and has nice lunch specials), good shopping, pretty old town.
Enjoy!
P.S. In Bern's art museum, in the basement, there's a painting of a woman from the Middle Ages who looks like one SMART cookie. I love the expression on her face--you know she had a very good BS detector. I wrote down her name somewhere; I'll see if I can dig it out. Also, Bern's art museum has a good collection of paintings by Anker (sp?), one of Switzerland's best-known artists...check those out.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 10:43 AM

On my Switzerland trip I based in Luzern and used a Swiss pass to day trip. Arriving by train your a short walk from Old Town. The Kapelbrucke with reproduction paintings of luzern's history is interesting. I found the Lion monument moving. My friend and I found the Bourbaki-Panarama compelling and wortwhile our wives did not. The Swiss Transport museum is a short bus or boat ride away (Swiss Pass good on either). You can climb the old city walls. I spent time just wandering the narrow streets. The promenade along the lake offers great views. have a great trip. Jackson
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 11:00 AM

We took the Golden Pass train from Lucerne towards Montreaux. I remember that the train was beautiful. The top of the train was clear plastic, or something like that,. The views were spectacular. We got off somewhere around 2 hours from Lucerne and had a light lunch and some good Swiss beers. After a small hike around the town, we got back on the train and was back in Lucerne for dinner.

We also spent a day taking a boat ride around lake Lucerne, a cograil ride up to the top of Mt Pilatus and back to downtown Lucerne by dinner. Views were really quite beautiful from the top of Mt Pilatus.

We ended up leaving Lucerne for Montreaux. Stayed there for a few days. From Montreaux we headed towards Zermatt and the Matterhorn but the weather was lousy. Rained for a few days. Didn't see the Matterhorn at all.
Maybe, this summer.

Enjoyed Switzerland, but it was more expensive than most countries in Europe and the scenery wasn't much better than Austria or So. Germany

Have fun
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions It's my first trip to Switzerland - and even first in Europe - but hope not the last

However, I'm quite a museum fan, and think of visiting several when in Switzerland.

My friend is in Bern so thats why I base in Bern. She suggests to tour Bern as well, which I will certainly do. Appreciate if any more recommendations about Bern here!

Too bad I will mostly travel solo, but that's answer why I will use Swiss pass, which if bought from my country is cheaper than in Switzerland itself (maybe that's a Swiss travel promotion?).

I will spend 3 days in Zurich towards end of my trip. I read many posts here about Zurich and thought it's charming already! Any additional suggestions?

My friend also says that weather in Switzerland seems to change a lot and a bit unpredictable. I dare not plan a fixed trip up the mountain, but will be rather flexible to do on a sunny day.

Understand Switzerland's rather expensive. I have to spend wisely otherwise I won't survive back home

Thanks again everyone!