Swiss expert: Pls Pls guide

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swiss expert: Pls Pls guide

Hi Guys,

I am leaving for Swiss in next 7 days , but I am feeling very nervous as I feel my sightseeing are very repetitive . I would like to sample different scenery of Swiss. This is my plan:

June 21: Land in Zurich and transfer to Lucern. Do Mt Pilatus today. Any ideas what else can be done after Pilatus.

June 22: Mt Titlis and ride bike along lake promenade

June 23: Grindelwald . Ride to First and trotti bike to Bort . And also walk to Bachalpsee

June 24: Jungfrau ( depending on weather)

June 25: Mannlichen- Kleine Schedeigg walk.

June 26auterbrunnen valley walk and Trummelbach falls .

June 26: Schiltron. Murren. Gimmelwald

June 27: Consider between visit to lake thun or Brienz or Schyniege Plattee. Pls help me here , tell me what would a be different experience.

June 28: Montreux. Roche De Nayar. Visit vevey

June 29: Rent car and ride to Gstaad, Gruyures and do balloon ride in Chatae Deox

June 30: Walk flower promenade and visit Chillon caste. Lavaux vineyards

July 1: Zermatt. Visit Gorgenet. Hike from Riffelese and move to Gorgenet.

July 2: Glagier Express to Andermatt. Then move to Lugano. Arrive in Lugano and visit Swiss Minitarue

July 3: Visit Morcote. Via Nassa and fox town. Evening train ride to Mt San Salvatore to see sunset.

July 4: Zurich. No clue yet what to do ?

Pls tell me if my planning is fine . Is any activity become repetitive like visiting Mt Titlis, Jungfrau, Schiltron?

June 22. Mt Titlis and

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 09:22 AM

titlis may well be shrouded in fog or clouds - anyway as you are doing three other similar mountain tops in Titlis, Jungfrau and Schilthorn i'd recommend doing a boat ride on Lake Lucerne instead - to me Suisse's most beautiful lake - a fjord-like body of water - Rigi Kulm, via a chairlift off the lake from a boat dock is known for having one of the finest views in Switzerland - over all the famous Alps to the west.

You surely have a Swiss Pass of some kind for this type of travel - if not you should.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi Palen Q,

Wow you are so lucky to be in a beautiful country like Switzerland. I want to do the boat ride in Lake Lucerne. But can you tell me where to take the boat ride and how long does the boat ride take?

I will surely consider rigi kulm , i guess i will have to choose either between mt pilatus n kulm.

Yes I have a 15 day Swiss Pass.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 10:35 AM

Well i'm not in Suisse but only in my mind perhaps but have been there many many times on trains and boats and Lake Lucerne is great.

Boats leave from the Lucerne train station - just opposite it. there are two arms to the lake - the fjord-like one to Fluelen at the lake's southern tip. This is the most awesome scenery to me. It's about an hour to Weggis or Vitnau, from where a cable and from the other a mountain train go up to Rigi Kulm - go up one way back down the other (50% off with Swiss Pass) or go all the way to Fluelen (3 hrs from Lucerne) then take the train back in a few minutes. But i'd get off at Brunnen a fine lakeside town and return from there by train.

The William Tell Express runs this route a few times a day and it's first class only - costs about $45 and includes a meal onboard but with 2nd cl pass would also entail an upgrade - only mention this because it's famous - but i wouldn;t bother with it as you can take the same boat without commentary and dinner for free with your Swiss Pass.

Or if going to Titlis you can take the boats from the Lucerne station to Alpnahcstad (80 mins) from where you take the thrilling mnt train up to Pilatus - coming down the other side by thrilling aerial cableway and then return to Lucerne by city bus (bus free with Swiss Pass) others up and down Pilatus 50% off.

I've been in Luzern maybe a dozen different times and i think Pilatus was out of the clouds only a few times so if want to do it and is clear go for it.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations: excellent planning.

June 21: I'm not sure if you'll be up to anything after Mt. Pilatus. I suggest just walking around Lucerne and having some dinner near the wooden bridge. If you're tired or if Mt. Pilatus is cloudy, then skip it. You've got Mt. Titlis the next day.

Also in Lucerne: Stadtkeller for a nice folklore evening.

Rainy day in Lucerne: Transport Museum or a ferry ride on the lake.

Rainy day in BO: do Ballenberg's open air museum of old houses. Very interesting.

July 2: From Andermatt, you'll take the train to Goeschenen and then zip through the Gotthard tunnel. Definitely walk around Lugano's car-free center. It's very nice. You might want to consider a walk to Gandria and then take the ferry back (or vice versa). It's an easy walk but takes almost two hours.

- I'd skip the Swiss miniature. I don't think you'll have time and it's not that great (you'll have seen it within 1 hour).

July 4: Shopping in Zürich! Buy your Swiss chocolate, saffron packages, aromat, Swiss T-shirts, etc.

I think you're underestimating travel time and hotel check-in time a bit but you'll figure that yourself quickly enough.

By the way, do you have your hotels already? I'd reserve a hotel in Lucerne today because we're going to have more tourists this year due to the weak Swiss franc versus the Euro.

Also, check the weather forecast and pack accordingly. We've been getting major thunderstorms this week that sneak up on you very quickly.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi Palen,

I am now surely doing the boat ride since you so highly recommended it. And I think I will do the short one , which I think u said 1 hr ride.

I was actually thinking of doing mt Pilatus because of the steep cog wheel ride and also the tobago run up there.

But I still can't decide between mt pilatus n rigi. which do u think is more scenic?
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:24 PM

Well no doubt the Pilatus experience is much more thrilling - one of the world's steepest railways up there and then a very long exhilarating aerial cable car down the other side.

Rigi is not that high - maybe 7,000 feet and is known for the view - detached view of the Alps, including Pilatus, that is unique - yes often called the finest view in Switzerland but from what i hear you saying i would definitely go for Pilatus - a much more dramatic experience.

You could take the cable car up Pilatus, do your thing up top and then the train down to Alpnachstad and go from there by boat perhaps to the other more gorgeous finger of the lake en route back to Lucerne.

Rigi was a de rigueur stop on the gentlemen's Tour of Europe in the 1700 and 1800s i believe. Mark Twain in a Tramp Abroad, i believe, wrote of his ascent of Rigi - in those days was a long arduous hike - so it's famous for some reason but it's not nearly the Pilatus, Titlis or jungfrau On Top of the World experience for sure.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 11:34 AM

You should definitely do the Lauterbrunnen valley and Trummelbach falls. It's one of the most beautiful places on the planet.
I also think you should re-think your day that you land. It takes a while to get to Luzern and then up to Pilatus from there. You may want to pace yourself after you land so you can take it all in.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:00 AM

Hi. Only a couple of comments. On the 27th (or, as schuler says 'as a rainy day option'), do include Brienz and the open air museum Ballenberg. That would contrast with your days up in the mountains.

Second, your driving day to Gstaad, Gruyeres, AND balloon ride sounds pretty crammed. Maybe you can begin that day with the item which is most important to you, so you can drop something and slow down to enjoy.

Third, consider schuler's suggestion to drop the miniature and perhaps add Gandria/walk combo. How about if you did the Nassa shopping and sunset at Mt. Salvatore the day you arrive and combine Gandria and Morcote on the other day? We spent a lovely lake day that way. Schuler, could Monica boat to Morcote early, then boat to Gandria, and walk back late in the afternoon? Just a thought.

I can feel the excitement building, Monica. With envy. I was in Ticino last year at this time. Promise us that you won't take your itinerary as an assignment, with disappointment if you don't get to everything on your list. Please don't rush about. Take a deep breath and savor the spaces. Switzerland will be there when you return, and I think you will. J.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi Schuler and Palen,

Thank for the input. I think the day I land if the weather is good i would do Mt Pilatus, otherwise I would a ride on the Lucern Lake.

For the next day I have Mt Titlis and hopeful in the evening we can take a walk around the town.

I know I am squeezing too much in , but I only have 2 night in Lucern.

Any recommendation of good restaurants in Lucern, since it's a special occasion. thks
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi Guys,

I have a few question which I am not too clear about . Can u pls help out?

Schuler, I visited the website for the restaurant Stadtkeller and it looks good . Only concern is that I am a vegetarian. And how did u find the food there? Also I did not understand what u meant by taking a walk near lugano's car-free center. How do I do that.

Palen, is the boat ride and steamer ride on lake lucerne the same thing. Since I am short on time, which is the best boat ride I can take?

Jm44, I was really touched with your suggestions. I am now skipping the baloon ride in Chate Deox. Any idea what time the shops in Nassa are open till?

Thks guys .
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:44 AM

yes boat ride and lake cruise one and the same - steamers, some with old-fashioned paddle-wheels.

Best short trip IMO - Lucerne to Vitznau, about an hour (or Weggis) and back.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:45 AM

And on your return to Lucerne by boat you can get off at the Lucerne-Lido stop and walk along lovely lakeside paths thru gardens, etc. back to town - a lovely strolling area popular with locals.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

thks palen , will surely fit in the boat ride now.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never eaten anything in Stadtkeller though I was there for a Polo Hofer concert once.

Many people say it's good and the show is nice. I'd go for it if you want to hear some yodeling.

Something very nice might be dinner outside at the Grand National in Lucerne or up in Rigi Kaltbad at a restaurant. Too many choices. Look up Lucerne restaurants on Fodor's or Trip Advisor for more ideas. You'll find ideas in both forums.

As for Lugano, the center of the town is car-free. You park you car in a parking garage or at your hotel and walk.

Vegetarian? No problem. Many Swiss are vegetarians too. Those cows are just too darn cute to eat. You'll definitely find something on the menu to satisfy your taste buds.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 04:47 AM

The via nassa shops don't adhere to a standard closing time. Some 6:30 (earlier on Saturdays), but some close daily at 5 p.m. Window shopping is good though. J.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 05:15 AM

Would recommend this restaurant in Lucerne - Galliker Schutzenstr.

It was built in 1800, the Galliker family bought it in the 1856 and it's been their's ever since. Make a reservation! You sit at communial tables. It's moderate-expensive (not very, though). Real authentic feel.

www.swisswindow.ch/galliker