Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any recent experience with Budapest airport bus?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone recently used a Budapest
minibus transfer from the airport
to the area near the Marriott?
What was the cost? Thanks.
Has anyone tried public transport
to that area with two roller bags?
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 05:08 PM

I haven't taken the minibus, so can't speak to that.

I did take public transportation from my lodging in central Pest (not far from the Marriott) to the airport on my departure, and managed fine with my single rolling bag and daypack. The hardest thing about the two roller bags will be negotiating the escalators in the subways, as some of them are pretty long and steep, and they move quickly. If you're nimble you should be fine.

You take the metro to the southern terminus of the blue line, Kobanya-Kispest, and catch the bus going to the airport. It's the 200 bus, and it's designed to accomodate luggage. It takes 25 minutes, and makes several stops before ending at Ferihegy 2 (where the mainline carriers are).

There's also a taxi service that contracts with the airport, Zona. I used one when I arrived and it was fine: immaculately clean new cab, polite and professional driver, flat fee (zone based). Not exorbitant.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 04:07 AM

I have taken the mini bus from the airport to the Marriott. I bought a ticket in the arrival hall.. and waited until they came and collected me (and several others). It was no problem. I forget the price, but it was cheap... which I paid in Forinths (you can withdraw cash at the ATM).

Last week I took the metro to the 200 bus as described above. Again, it was easy (and included in my travel pass so free).

You can also take a train from terminal 1 (you have quite a long transfer between terminals) to Budapest Nyugati station. From here, the Marriott is a tram and a metro stop away.

Luggage has been no problem for any of these options.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. How much tip is traditional in Budapest
to a minibus driver? Taxi driver?
Many thanks.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:04 AM

I just answered on another posting...

copy below:-

the airport minibus is great - the only one downside is that they drive like formula 1 drivers ! BUT on a positive note they are super cheap - 2900 huf per person

the official airport minibus is www.airportshuttle.hu

unofficial operators are www.budapestairportminibus.com

i would recommend you use the official one if you are 1 person or more than 5 persons as its much more cheap than the unofficial ones. If you are 2-4 people you should use zona taxi at the airport, they have the official franchise.

alternatively you can use official taxi companies from the city such as Tele 5 or 9 Taxi - they are approximately 4 euros cheaper to the city.

hope this helps