Airport Tranfer Budapest?

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airport Tranfer Budapest?

We'll be arriving in Budapest around noon on a Friday.

I'm looking for advice on the best way to get to the Hotel Victoria.

Public transportation options? While we travel light, I'd prefer not to make many transfers with luggage.

I'm wary of Taxis-have had bad experiences in the past (in other cities). Any tips?

What about having a car/driver meet us?

Thanks!
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 05:56 PM

When my friend and I went, we took a bus from the airport to the metro station. Luckily our hotel was not far from a station. More information on the bus options from the airport can be found at http://www.bud.hu/english/. Have a great trip.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 05:58 PM

The airport's not big -- there's a desk for the shuttle (shared van) that you just walk up to and shortly you will be whisked away to your hotel. You can buy a round-trip and then call the day before you have to leave. I believe at that desk you can get a private car, too, or you could have your hotel arrange it.

Of course thousands of people take public transport and you can get info about it there...I didn't even check. I took a taxi a couple times but had the hotel call it; I'm wary too of hailing one on the street.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 07:07 PM

We took a taxi from the airport last year to the city centre. Found out beforehand approx how much. Pleasant driver,no problems at all. Just walked outside when we arrived.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:54 PM

You can check with your hotel to see how much they charge for a private driver to pick you up.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:55 PM

Follow the Transport-Taxi links in that airport site to which captkirk directs you, and you will get the fares to various zones in the city. Good system, and good prices for the distance involved.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 09:07 PM

There's also a shared shuttle service going on hotel runs, to your right as you exit security. Not sure the current going cost (which would be per person) but may be worth comparing against the taxi costs. A van akes about 6 people at a time to hotels near each other. The Victoria isn't far from the main ones near the water on the Pest side, so it'd probably on be the same run.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies!
It looks like a taxi might be both the most direct and economical way for two people. From what I've read, there are new systems and restrictions in place for taxis from/to the airport so it seems like it might be ok!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:34 AM

The price controls apply only to taxis from the airport to the city, and apply to only one taxi company. Nobody else is entitled to do airport pickups. My understanding is that any operator can take you to the airport.

Taxi prices in Budapest are regulated but the authorised rates are moderately high. Many operators charge less. It is usually cheaper to phone for a taxi than to hail one on the street. I suggest you ask the driver taking you in if the firm will take you back out for the same rate, and if the answer is yes, make sure you get the phone number. Failing that, you can use the airport minibus service (your hotel will book it for you if you ask the day before you depart) or ask the hotel reception to guide you to the best deal.

Enjoy Budapest. It's a wonderful city. I wish was was going again.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Padraig-Thanks for the info. Fortunately, we will be taking the train to Vienna from Budapest, so no need to return to the airport!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Kristina, good question, we are flying into Budapest also. You mentioned that the taxi would be economical, do you know how much it will cost?
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 10:08 AM

If you followed the thread, you would know. The route to the answer is there, and Jristina folloewd it. If you can't be bothered to read things with attention, then ask yourself if you deserve help.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Ouch Padraig! No need to be snarky. As a matter of fact, I found that same link doing my own research on Google before it was posted here. Still, it's nice that fellow fodorites take the time...

miami-do follow the link above and click on the "transport" link on the left hand side of the page. Looks like a taxi is less than 2 people on the shuttle and will take you direct to your hotel. Price depends on your hotel's location.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 10:33 AM

Kristina, I was irked, I agree -- even to the point of losing control of my fingers and getting your name wrong! I have a hope, which I know is doomed to disappointment, that people might ask here for help in finding information that is not readily and fairly obviously available.

I note you, in a gentler manner, sent the questioner along the same road!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

No worries Padraig. Sometimes we all hit the Post button too soon.;-)

BTW, I've read your online journals for Budapest and bookmarked your restaurant recs. Thanks!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 10:52 AM

There's more that is not in my reports -- I never wrote the third instalment. The Children's Railway is a wonderful treat. Check it out if you have 2-3 hours to fill.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 09:42 PM

Budapest airport offers various options for transfers in to the city.

The cheapest way is the brand new train service which goes from Ferihegy terminal 1 to the western railway station, called Nyugati, in central Budapest. This service started approximately August 2007. The downside is there is a bit of a walk to the railway station.

The next cheapest option is the official airport minibus which takes up to 8 persons in one trip. More than likely you will be sharing with other travellers. Great price at approximately 7 euros per person. The major downfall is if your hotel is the furthest away then you will be dropped off last and the journey to your hotel could take what will feel like forever.

The best choice in terms of value for money and convenience and for groups of less than 4 persons, believe it or not is the airport taxi. They always have cabs right in front of the terminal building and will take you into Budapest for approximately 15 euros.

When we travelled there was 5 of us with loads of bags. We found a private transfer company with minibuses which charged us 30 euros up to 8 persons. They also guaranteed you would not share the minibus with other travellers so it offered cheaper prices than the airport minibus without the hassle of dropping others off. They even picked us up from the arrivals hall:

http://www.budapesthungary.hu/budape...transfers.html