Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any nice 5 * hotels in Prague U can recommend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 02:42 PM
jeff

I will be going to Prague for my honeymoon between the January 12-19. I would like a hotel close to shops and resturants as well as all the touristy sites. Can U help me?

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 11:01 PM
mh

The new Four Seasons is lovely. Check out their website.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 12:05 AM
Jimbo

The Marriott is good too, I picked up a room early via Marriott's website and room price went from &pound;220 per night to &pound;80! It's also five minutes from the Powder Tower and ten minutes from the old square.<BR><BR>Enjoy Prague and have a wonderful honeymoon!<BR><BR>Jim

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 05:03 AM
just

Just wondering which of the 5* hotels is closest to "the sights". I don't want to walk 20mins. each time I leave the hotel to go see the "touristy" places.<BR><BR>PS Have a sprained ankle that is beginning to heal - finally.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 03:51 PM
ww

ttt

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 05:16 PM
ajs

Just stay at the Metamorphis in Suite 21, and forget the five-star places. The room will almost too big. It's four star, has wonderful service and a beautiful dining room in a romanesque cellar, and it's right in the middle of everything. You will have one flight of steps to walk up. The beautiful spires of the Tyn Church will be wonderfully visible from your window.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 02:32 AM
Jean

The Marriott is within walking distance of a major portion of the sights in the old city and right next to the subway for further trips.<BR><BR>Service is impeccable and hotel rooms are super!<BR><BR>Hot tub was nice after lots of walking, etc.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Christina

I would definitely go with the Four Seasons, also, because it is very well-located on the river right in the center of town, fairly new and has gotten excellent reviews. However, it is closed due to damage from the floods and is not scheduled to reopen until at least next Spring, so I think that's out.<BR><BR>The Marriotts are nice from what I've heard, and in a fairly convenient location near Namesti Republicky metro stop, but are not quite as dead center and not quite the luxury of the Four Seasons, I don't believe. The FOur Seasons is near Charles Bridge so in the middle of Old Town and Mala Strana on the other side of the river. The other 5-star hotels I know of are not as conveniently located as Four Seasons and/or not as nice. I'm not sure they really have a 5-star class in Prague, but the ones I think would be or are called that are:<BR><BR>Savoy, Intercontinental, Esplanade, Palace, Radisson SAS, Hilton, Pariz, Four Seasons, the Praha, and maybe the two Marriotts (one is a Renaissance). Maybe the Grand Hotel Bohemia, also.<BR><BR>I don't have much choice among them except the Savoy is up on the hill near the castle so not as conveniently located (otherwise I might choose it) -- the Hilton and Intercontinental have been around too long (ie, Communist-era style) and are not central (plus they are not very attractive). Maybe that Metamorphosis place is a consideration -- it's certainly central.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Arthur

Has anyone other than Christiana stayed at the Maximilian Hotel? If so, what did you think?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 05:30 PM
ajs

Let me reiterate; Why on earth would you want to go all the way to Prague to stay in some western posh hotel? Unless you're a concierge junkie, or crave snob appeal, the Metamorphis is the way to go. Real history, great staff, huge room, and unbeatable location. Suite 21, you can thank me later. LOL

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Healthy

Even though we like to visit third world countries, we are not third world people and we want to stay healthy and comfortable. We like 5 star hotels with excellent beds, excellent service and everything else that comes with a five star hotel.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Christina

you are right, I did stay at the Maximilian and loved it. It's a nice boutique 4-star. There is another 4-star on that square (which is a great location), the Casa Marcello but I don't know much about it.<BR><BR>I don't know that the Metamorphosis is so perfect. I didn't stay there but I have read negative reviews of its restaurant (in local publications in Prague), plus it's got a disco or something down on the first floor courtyard, doesn't it? Why do you need such a huge room on a vacation? I'm not one who says I don't care if my room is a closet, either, but why would you need so much extra space? I do think if you want to minimize walking that is a good location right near the church.<BR><BR>It may be a fine hotel, but I wouldn't book it just because of the room size. You know, your advice that one shouldn't stay in a "western posh hotel" sounds ominous because eastern communist-era style and service is not so desirable to me and Prague does have a reputation for lousy hotel service. Okay, here's info on the Metamorphosis<BR>http://www.abaka.com/Czech/Metamorphis/ubytovani.php?lang=EN<BR>Sorry, but those twin rooms are not very attractive (purple walls! ) and what's the deal with that sofa in 21?. Well, I wouldn't award it, and several of them look too big to me (what's the deal with that sofa in 21?), and apparently they don't all have minibars (which I do like for drinks), but the doubles look fairly nice, though, and the rates are reasonable.<BR><BR>It doesn't look as nice as the Maximilian, though, which has become unfortunately too popular since it opened a few years ago and their rates have gone up considerably about $50 a double from when I first stayed there. The NYTimes travel section recommended it once, I found out (in one of those "what's doing in Prague" items perhaps).

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 10:58 AM
picky

As we all know the Star system is not exactly interchangeable with luxury ratings as in US. The number of stars awarded in Prague and elsewhere thruought Europe is based on amenities available (phones, tvs, elevators, minibars, number of rooms with ensuite baths etc.)<BR><BR>That being said, I do like my patch of luxury when traveling and I'm willing to pay to ensure as much. Excellent beds and mini bars are NEEDS! It's a given that there will be phones and TVs and etc.<BR><BR>All that said, I'd recommend the U Pava--delightful location just to the Mala Strana side of the bridge, easy walk to just about EVERYTHING you will want to see. The rooms are great--we had something of a suite--but rate was under $300. They were closed for a short time after the floods but I read on here that hotel is re-opened. It's a nice quiet square, all the rooms have some sort of view, onto square or up to castle. The 4 Seasons is always a good bet but the other chain hotels there are nothing special. This Metamorphosis looks dubious if it's some luxury you want.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 03:39 AM
Nancy

Ifyou want a nice typical European hotel, we recetly stayed at U Pstrosu which is right next to the Charles Bridge. I don't think you need to stay in Prague for the entire week; not enough to do. Highly recommend visiting Cesky Krumlov and staying at the Hotel Ruze which is one of the prettiest cities we have seen.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 10:43 AM
jero

Have any of you been to Prague since the flood? Was the Maximillian affected? How about Cesky Krumlov? I want to go in mid-November as long as it isn't in major recovery mode.<BR><BR>Since the flood, has anyone stayed at the Golden Prague Residence in the Mala Strana? How about Hotel Charles?<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 12:55 PM
tony

Stayed at 4 star Hotel Josef in old town two weeks ago. Walked everywhere. Very stylish modern hotel, wonderful breakfasts, very friendly staff. Highly recommended. <BR>Check out their web site www.hoteljosef.com/