Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any info on Elafonisi in the Argo-Saronic Islands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw pictures of the beaches on this island and they were truly amazing. I hope to travel there possibly next year, but an having a very hard time locating info on the internet- I did a google search. This island is supposed to have the best desert-island beaches in all of Greece. Does anyone have any hotel websites or info on this place?
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 11:44 PM

Try searching again on Google, but use a "double s" - i.e. Elafonissi. If you try Googling by "groups" instead of "web" you'll find quite a few personal reports as well. Oh, and use the advanced search option to only get replies in English, if that helps.
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 11:48 PM

On the assumption that you mean Elafonissi on Crete, (since I can't find any reference to a place of that name in the Aro-Saronics), it's beautiful, but overrun by tourists in the summer.<BR><BR>There is little development- some summer tavernas- on site. I suggest you stay in Paleohora, and take the boat.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Sheila, now you see my problem! It is not the one in Crete. Elafonisi or Elafonissi is described as a being directly north of Kythira in the Argo-Saronic Islands. It is a barren islet visited mostly by Greeks. Xenos, after posting I did find more info my typing in the alternate spelling, but there is really no info on lodging. This trip wouldn't be for over a year from now, so I have time!
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

I found these interesting links for anyone else interested:<BR><BR>http://www.calypso.gr/places.php?place=47<BR><BR>http://www.greeklandscapes.com/greece/elafonisos.html<BR><BR>
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 05:09 AM

It seems there are several alternative spellings. Looking under Elafonissos or Elafonisos, I came up with this page, which only has a handful of hotels and apartments, but if the island is as deserted as it seems that may be all there is. <BR>www.gtpnet.com/AccomodationResults.asp?ID_Loc=9573&amp;LN=&amp;CN =&amp;AccomType=0&amp;Chain=0&amp;Category=&amp;x= 35&amp;y=12<BR><BR>I also found this trip report, which doesn't seem to have any accreditation, but there is a forum on the website, so you may be able to get more info by asking there. www.greeklandscapes.com/greece/elafonisos.html
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 06:08 AM

Oh AP, you already found my second link whilst I was still looking!
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 04:30 AM

AP, <BR>elafonisi is not located in the Saronic Islands. It is north-west of Kithira just off the southern end of Peloponnisos. The misunderstaning is due to the fact that for some reason -unknown to me- administratively it belongs to the saronic islands as well as Kithira. Kithira is the seventh island of Eptanissos of the Ionian sea (in greek it means &quot;complex of seven islands&quot. It is deemed so because Kithira and Elaphonissi lie just where the Ionian and Aegean seas meet. It seems to me therefore that if you make a search for Peloponissos or Kithira, you' ll come up with a lot of information. For starters I'd look in www.dilos.com for hotel information. FYI there are two &quot;Elaphonisos&quot; in Greece. The one off Peloponissos (famous for it's Simos and Sarakiniko beaches, fresh fish and particularly lobsters and the possibility of free camping) and the other in Crete. Elaphonisos means literally &quot;dear island&quot;.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 04:55 AM

Do not take into account dilos.com. try http://www.all-rooms.gr/Peloponnese/...a/lakonia.html