Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Private Car Service Heathrow to Surbiton?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying with a friend in Surbiton and arriving Heathrow early morning. I got a price quote from Ray Skinner of 54 pounds which seems high to me. (Haven't called Swiss Cottage Cars yet, but will when our flight is final.) <BR><BR>I wonder if we are paying a premium for not doing the usual, going into central London? If anything, it seems it should be less expensive, especially with the new tax. <BR><BR>So, anyone know of a car service that is based in south London and might be more economical? Thanks!
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 02:55 PM

The reason for an unusual destination to be more expensive is that it's essentially a round trip for the driver -- he's probably not going to be able to pick up an outbound fare in Surbiton, as he could do in London if that were your desintation.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 03:00 PM

I think you would get a much cheaper quote if you try to find a mini-cab company based either close to Heathrow or in Surbiton. The Ray Skinner quote probably reflects the cost to them of travelling back to either Heathrow or Central London where they pick up most of their jobs.<BR><BR>Ask the hotel/people you are staying with to recommend a local company - otherwise, try www.yell.co.uk or www.scoot.co.uk.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 03:39 PM

If you have a friend in Surbiton - ask him/her. No doubt she has a mini cab to recommend. A company based in or near surbiton would give you the best rate by far for what you want.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. My friend never uses a local car service so has none to recommend. That's why I asked on fodors. But I'll try the websites Jacqui listed, and get a quote from Swiss Cottage if nothing else turns up. Just thought someone on here might have a name for me.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 05:44 PM

I do know that Swiss Cottage Cars currently charges 25 pounds from Heathrow to most central locations, and I believe the total from Ray Skinner for the same service is now 39 pounds, so I would certainly imagine that for your route Swiss Cottage Cars will be considerably lower.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Patrick. That gives me something to compare at least. yell &amp; scoot are nifty sites, like the yellow pages here, but not terribly convenient from the US. I now have a list of car hires in Surbiton, but would have to phone them all to get info as no emails are listed. I'll probably just go with Swiss Cottage, unless something else turns up here.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 06:19 PM

Marilyn - even IF your friend does not use a car service - she is IN Surbiton. It would be MUCH easier for her to find you a service. Heck - she can just look in the local phone directory - all the reputable mini cabs will have listings. The ones usually mentioned on Fodors are more geared to taking folks into or within central London. Any service based in Richmond, Kingston, etc would be better choices. Instead of going on a wild goose chase, or paying almost double what's necessary, ask your friend to get you one. She must understand it is so much easier for her than for you from thousands of miles away?!.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

I know you're right, Janis, but my friend is a terribly busy guy who has always been a prince about our staying with him. We're staying at his house when we arrive and before we leave London, using it like a hotel, and he is loaning us a car for 10 days to drive visiting friends. I just hate to ask him to do anything else that requires his time. Even if we spend 10 pounds extra on the car service, it's ok.<BR><BR>Actually, I may phone a few and try out this cheap access number. Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 05:39 AM

Marilyn, I went to google.com and typed in Surbiton mini taxis and came up with the following:<BR><BR>http://www.thelocalweb.net/ListingByID.asp?id=%2075799<BR><BR>Plus:<BR><BR>Fl eece Cars Ltd -Taxi Firms -Mini Cabs <BR>14 Victoria Road, Surbiton, <BR>Tel: 02083990800 <BR><BR>SARS Mini Cabs <BR>17 Tolworth Park Road, Surbiton, <BR>Tel: 02083990202<BR> <BR>