Any dining suggestions in Cinque Terre?

Sep 29th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Any dining suggestions in Cinque Terre?

We're in Cinque Terre (Vernazza) for 3 nights in mid-October.

Which restaurants did you love/dislike? We're very open to dining in any of the 5 towns.

Any advice on:
Ciak
Gianni Franzi
L'Ancora della Tortuga
Marina Piccolo

Others to consider?

Thank you.
Sep 29th, 2007, 11:42 AM

Our best meal was at Osteria della Manaan (or something like that) in Corniglia. Corniglia is the least visited of the towns because you either have to hike in from Vernazza or take the train and hike up 300 steps – it’s the only town without a boat stop. We loved it and spent several hours just chilling on the little square. There’s nothing much there, but this restaurant is amazing – a gourmet’s delight. We preferred the food to the better-known restaurants on the harbor in Vernazza. But I must tell you, we never had a bad meal in Liguria. You will LOVE the CT.
Sep 29th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi Alison,

Thx for the excellent recommendation. I researched it and the name is: Osteria a Cantina de Mananan.

Sounds amazing.

Thank you.

Sep 30th, 2007, 03:42 AM

We had a good meal and good service at Ciak, I believe. That's the one in Monterosso, right?
Sep 30th, 2007, 06:02 PM

We were in CT for four days last October. We stayed in Manarola, and ate at virtually every restaurant there, including the Marina Piccola (where we stayed.) (It is a tiny village!) Enjoyed all of our meals.

But our favorite meal was in Corniglia, at the Ristorante Cecio, where we sat outside, high above the ocean, in absolute peace and beauty and were treated like family. Truly a special place!
Oct 3rd, 2007, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

any suggestions in Vernazza or Monterosso?
Oct 3rd, 2007, 02:47 PM

I can't remember the name of the restaurant in Vernazza but its the one built into the rock at the foot of the tower overlooking the harbour.

I had a pesto lasagna and my husband had a pesto linguini. It was the best pesto I had ever tasted...and have never come across anything close since.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 04:15 PM

The Ristorante Belforte is the place hanging off the cliff right next to the breakwater. The views are awesome. I had the pesto and my husband had the acciuge (sp?), which are fresh anchovies, and a huge plate of mussels.
We also ate at Trattoria da Sandro right on the main street. It, too, was great. We ate dinner there, then went to Gianni Franzi for tiramisu and sciacchetrà, a local specialty dessert wine. The tiramisu...well, it was pretty much the best thing I have ever put in my mouth. Ever.
We went to Il Pirata delle Cinque Terre for breakfast--try the drinking chocolate. You will not be disappointed--and ate plenty of focaccia and pesto at the bakeries and pizzerias. There is also a small grocery store and meat/cheese shop to help with picnics. We did that, too with lots of fruit, bread, wine and cheese.
The food there is incredible, with one exception. We found the gelato in the CT was not good in comparison to the gelato in Florence. Generally, I've heard, anywhere in Italy you can get good gelato, but we didn't like it there.
Happy travels, and fill us in on the details when you get back!
Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

vlcgoddess:

Excellent info.

Did you have to make reservations at any of the restaurants?

We plan on packing snacks/picnic for the hikes so you've given us very useful info.

I want some drinking chocolate right now!

Interesting about the gelato....
Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:30 PM

Also ate at Ciak in Monterosso. Gnocchi w/ pesto YUM!
Oct 4th, 2007, 01:38 AM

txs for tips will be vernazza 15-18 oct
Oct 4th, 2007, 04:59 AM

Ciak in Monterosso was one of our favorites in Italy. The seafood spaghetti (or was it ravioli?) for two was unbelievable. We ate here twice during our stay in Cinque Terre.
Oct 8th, 2007, 04:04 PM

bkm..
Oct 8th, 2007, 04:17 PM
annieladd

We loved Trattoria dal Billy in Manarola. Great seafood and pasta, and Billy is quite a character! annieladd