Reload this Page >

Cinque Terre Restaurant Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 04:59 PM
Ann

I have read all the theads I can find on suggestions for places to eat in all five CT towns. Most are somewhat dated theads. I thought I would start a new one. We are going in July and will have our base in Monterosso. We are interested in fine dining, casual dining on down to picnic places and walk-up stands. In other words....anything....anywhere in the CT. We are also interested in a great place with a wonderful view for a "last night" meal. Thanks in advance for your recommendations and advice. (We are a group of 12 but will not always be together.)

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:22 PM
Laurina

Hello, Ann! My husband were in CT about 2 weeks ago and had a great time. We also stayed in Monterosso. Our favorite restaurant was the Belvedere, near the main square. They had excellent sea food! Another great place is La Tortuga. This is right on the cliff near the WWII bunker. In Vernazza, we ate at Il Barretto-twice. I wish I knew the address, but it's near that little chapel to the Virgin Mary.<BR>Have a great trip!<BR>

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:30 PM
cindy

Here's another vote for the Belvedere in Monterosso. We had a delicious seafood lunch there (try the pesto sauce too) just last week. Very good! Also try the white wine from the Cinque Terre. It was excellent.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:34 PM
TJ

Outside of CT, near La Spezia, but friend's rave about Locanda Miranda (I think it's in Telaro). You can find a bit about it on the web.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:41 PM
Ann

Cindy and Laurina,<BR>Any other advice for seeing CT in three nights and two full days? We have older teens with us...What is a "must-do" and "must-see"? Thanks for the suggestions!

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 05:48 AM
Ann

topping

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 08:36 AM
Laurina

With two full days, , you should be able to do the major hikes. The trail from Monterosso to Vernazza takes about 2 to 2 1/2 hours, depending on how often you like to stop and take pictures. The hike from Vernazza to Corniglia should take about 3 hours. My favorite walk is the mountain trail from manarola to volastra to corniglia. You get a wonderful view of the vineyards and the ocean. This took about 3 hours.<BR>The Via Del Amore is short, about 20 minutes, but I found it was not as spectacular as the others. The trail from Corniglia to Manarola is closed. <BR>Also, from Monterosso you can hike to the monastery on the hill top. This took about 45 minutes. We did this on our first night there.<BR>I hope you have a great time!

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:12 AM
cat

Ann<BR>Another rave about the Belvedere in Monterosso. We had the spaghetti al mare 2 nights in a row it was so good! The hikes are great, but do start early in the day, especially to get from Monterosso to Corniglia before the sun is overhead. Take water.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 11:12 AM
Betsy

In Vernazza there is a wonderfully located restaurant called Costello's at the castle. it is built into the mountainside with an incredible view of the Med. Ate there at sunset and will never forget it. I also will never forget the Pesto Cream Lasagna. OHMIGOD! The best lasagne I believe I will ever eat.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 12:03 PM
Byrd

I'm sure "Costello's" that Betsy remembers is the "Al Costello's" that we loved--she's right, food and views are wonderful! For a great "last night" dinner with a wonderful view, you might check out the restaurant at Porto Rocco hotel in Monterosso. We ate there twice during our stay and loved it.<BR>Byrd<BR>

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 03:34 AM
Mary

Go to Levanto---&gt;Taverna Garibaldi and try the Antipasti with anchoves, Lardo di Colonnata, Carpaccio di Pesce Spada. After taste their Pizza Garibaldi or the Ciassa Cavour. At last have a Tiramisu' or an Ice Cream "in salsa". Finally drink the Limoncino di Levanto.<BR>PS Don't miss the White Wine "Lievantu Mattel&ugrave;n". Some nights I dream about that!!!!!<BR>Waaaawww working hard now <BR>Ciao and Njoy U

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 04:29 AM
jedi

In Monterosso, "CIAK" the food is excellent. You may have to wait a bit for a table, but it is worth it! Seafood and pasta!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Ann

Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice on eating and hiking in the CT. Is it possible to make reservations at any of these restaurants or do you just take your chances once you get there?<BR>Again....thanks!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Capo

Hi Ann. We were in Vernazza for four days this past April and loved both Trattoria Gianni's and Belforte. <BR><BR>Gianni's is on the south side of the picturesque harborfront piazza and Belforte ("beautiful fort") is in a wonderfully atmospheric stone castle "keep" which sits below the harborfront castle tower. We didn't need reservations at Gianni's but did at Belforte.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Ann

Capo,<BR>How far in advance did you make reservations for Belforte? Any other tips for the area?

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Capo

Just one day in advance, Ann. It was for a Tuesday night in April. Whether it might be different for a weekend night, on in July, I don't know. <BR><BR>Belforte has a larger room, with about six tables, one that's smaller, with only two tables, and a few tables outside. We sat in the smaller room, with a porthole above our table which we could open to hear the crashing of the waves on the rocks below. (Our waiter also caught his sweater on fire from our candle while removing our plates. I don't, however, think that's a normal part of the service there. <BR><BR>We didn't eat at Costello's (or Castello's) in Vernazza which some other people on this thread have mentioned but it is situated above Belfore, with a larger outdoor dining area and, I believe, is also supposed to have very good food. <BR><BR>You might want to go to Vernazza a day or two ahead of time to check both of them out. <BR><BR>

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Ann

Thanks for the information. Will try and book ahead of time. Thanks again! Ann

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 12:39 PM
meg

Miki in Monterossa, right on the shore down by the marina. Huge plate of the best fried anchovies, piled high like french fries. The waiter was great. He understood American taste and did not over-sell us. Too bad we didn't discover it until our last night.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 06:28 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:44 AM
mbln74a

Hi, we were there in 1986...no one spoke English & we were in a seafood restaurant in Monterosso..probably the Belvedere (near the square). We tried to explain what we wanted, thought I was getting a seafood platter, but it turned out to be a mess of minnows..and they were cleaned! Whatever, my husband had the swordfish...the food was good.<BR>We didn't meet many Americans on this trip till that last Via del amore. WE were very happy we hiked into Corneglia from Vernazza, as the steps down were a lot easier than trying to get up them. <BR>We did all the trails with a 2 night stay in Monterosso...fabulous place, but I suspect it has changed radically!<BR>Enjoy, hope the weather is great & you see some fabulous views. Linda

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -