Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any Bank Holidays or other events to watch for in London (or other parts of England for August Travel)?

Any Bank Holidays or other events to watch for in London (or other parts of England for August Travel)?

Mar 9th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi All,

Looking to travel in August to London, possibly Devon/Cornwall, Cotswalds, Stratford, Hampton Court, and hopefully Edinburgh, Scotland.

Wondering if there are any bank holidays to watch out for, or any holiday in which everything's closed-wouldn't be the best time to visit.

On the reverse, if you know of any events going on in those areas in August that are enjoyable--please let me know.

Appreciate your feedback!
Mar 9th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Aug 29 is summer bank holiday...all I can say about Bank Holidays is...STAY OFF THE ROADS! everyone with a car in the whole country is on the road!
Mar 10th, 2005, 03:13 AM

Edinburgh International Festival - 14 Aug-4 Sept - www.eif.co.uk
Edinburgh Festival Fringe - 7-29 Aug - www.edfringe.com
Edinburgh International Film Festival - 17-28 Aug - www.edfilmfest.org.uk
Edinburgh Book Festival - 13-29 Aug - www.edbookfest.co.uk
Edinburgh Jazz & Blues Festival - 27 Jul-7 Aug- ???
Edinburgh Military Tattoo - 5-27 Aug - www.edintattoo.co.uk
Mar 10th, 2005, 06:55 AM

LOTRHP: I've been trying to follow your various threads. Cornwall, the Cotswolds, Stratford, and most especially Edinburgh will be really REALLY crowded in August. You are thinking through a pretty ambitious itinerary using public transport.

For August, most hotels and B&Bs in Edinburgh require a 3 night minimum and raise their room rates, and many are already fully booked up.

How long is the total trip? If less than about 3+ weeks, you may want to think about cutting back to fewer areas.

But - if you are still in the UK at the end of the month, none of the tourist attractions will be closed over the August Bank Holiday - but most will be VERY crowded.
Mar 10th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for your interest. Yes, I am planning on about 10-12 days of travel. I may be able to switch to July instead of August. Is that any better? Most probably though I am stuck with August. I'd like to see Cotswolds as a day trip if possible, I'd do Stratford for the day, hopefull Cornwall for a few days-although the area is vast and I need to pin down exactly where, and Edinburgh--which may be out as it seems extremely expensive by train from London.

Appreciate your input. All additional feedback would be welcome.
Mar 11th, 2005, 04:26 AM

There are theoretically cheap train fares between London & Edinburgh but there are never any when I'm looking. Having said that, it is too soon to book for August - the cheap fares go on sale somewhere between 6 weeks & 3 months in advance, in theory.

I nearly always fly with bmi, which can be quite cheap if you book far enough ahead - www.flybmi.com.

Try Easyjet too - www.easyjet-com - they are theoretically a low cost airline but I don't usually find them any cheaper than bmi on this route, unless you travel at really inconvenient times like 6am Sunday morning.
Mar 13th, 2005, 05:53 AM

I travelled to Edinburgh in August and it really is not as crowded as everyone lets on. You could stay in a town or village outside of Edinburgh and pay less for accommodation and travel in by train everyday. You should look into getting a railcard. It gives great discounts on train travel. I was going to buy a britrail pass but found out about the railcards and it worked out really well. They have family railcards. You can have 1-4 adults and I think 1-4 children (not exactly sure about those numbers) on one card. They cost 20 pounds . With the card, the children's tickets are very cheap and the adults get 1/3 off the cost of the ticket. You have to have at least 1 adult and 1 child up to the age of 15 travelling together to get the discounts. There are also railcards for young people ag 16-25 and also for seniors and groups. I travelled from Glasgow to Newcastle by myself and the ticket was 26 pounds and then I travelled with my two children the same route and the total cost was 24 pounds because I was able to use the railcard. You would definitely save on the trip from London if you are able to purchase one of the railcards. You can purchase them at any train station I believe. I found out about them while looking at the 'national rail' web site.
Mar 13th, 2005, 11:03 AM

Another bank holiday question: We are sailing from S'hampton on 8/29 and had planned to travel there from London on that date. Bad idea? Should we go the day before and find somewhere to stay in S'hampton? Thanks!
Mar 13th, 2005, 11:24 AM

Wimbledon takes place at the end of July, I think. You should check out the dates.
Mar 13th, 2005, 11:36 AM

tuckerdc:

There's no point in changing any plans. If you're travelling by rail on 29/8, just check there a week or two beforehand there are no changes to the timetable: if there are, they'll hit services on 28/8 just as much.

If you're driving, few people go to Southampton on a bank holiday. But, given that the August holiday is the traditional day autumnal weather starts, many south coast natives will be engaging in the equally tradtional holiday pastime of hanging round the out of town DIY stores. So expect a bit of congestion round the Chandlers Ford area on the motorway into Southampton.

Surely, you're asking yourself, they'd hang round the shops before the holiday so they can do the DIY on the day itself? Ah, but you don't go to a DIY store to buy things for a project. You go there to see what you would be buying if you were actually doing the job. And then realise it's far too difficult, so put it off till the next bank holiday. Which, in August, isn't really till the following Easter. Plenty of time to think up a new excuse. Or better yet, sell the house.