Search

Any advice on (paid or free) homepage hosting service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2003, 06:10 AM
jpm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any advice on (paid or free) homepage hosting service

The message disappeared so I'm reposting (as it IS TRAVEL RELATED AND NON-COMMERICAL) thus no reason for deletion.<BR><BR>Any advice on (paid or free) homepage hosting service<BR> Author: Andrea_expat<BR>Date: 02/15/2003, 09:34 am<BR>Message: Since my website will be travel related (and non-commercial), I'm taking the liberty of posting here since many fellow Fodorites seem to have their own webpages.<BR><BR>I used to have one on ivillage (which I never really put a lot of time into anyway), and now they've announced that they're discontinuing the free service, so I need to find a new host.<BR><BR>Unfortunately, one drawback of living in China is that most of the most popular hosting services are blocked here, including AOL, angelfire, tripod, and geocities.<BR><BR>I'm willing to pay, and don't need a provider with building templates &amp; tools since this time I'm planning to use PageMaker.<BR><BR>Any advice? Cheap, lots of storage (plan to have lots of pictures), and reliable are my criteria.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>(My tired old neither finished nor updated site is here, if anyone's interested: http://pages.ivillage.com/libris/phillipsonline)<BR><BR><BR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR>I'm using Burlee to host my ego-building travel website! ;-) They have several plans and I've been pleased with their quick, professional customer service. I'm using their unlimited space option which I love because I like posting my photos online - the cost is $13 month. They have other, cheaper options as well.<BR><BR>But, if you do a websearch, there are TONS of places that will give you from 5 - 500 meg a month for less than $10 (some as low as $1 a month for $300 meg). I not recommending for or against any of these - I believe most of them will provide exactly what you are looking for.<BR><BR>For a personal site that has no &quot;critical&quot; need to be up 24/7 (you're not running a business) any of these will probably do. And if it goes bust? Find another cheap host and reload your files. Yes, its a pain in the A$$ as I discovered with my last host, but for the price, it can't be beat.<BR><BR>Good luck. Be sure to Post you link when you're online. I would love to check it out.<BR><BR>BTW, I spent 25 days in China last September and loved it. It is so amazingly different.<BR><BR>jpm<BR>www.appleberryroad.com
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 06:37 AM
rex

I, too, am mystified by what happened with this thread. Right now it shows no reponses (well, that is actually true) - - but it looked that way before the original thread was deleted - - (I think]!<BR><BR>and it shows your post as &quot;unsigned&quot;, jpm - - i.e., no &quot;Date, time&quot; and no &quot;Author: jpm&quot;<BR><BR>Moreover my post was removed (why?) - - but I was able to go back and retrieve it (cached), and thus, re-post it here:<BR><BR>Author: rex<BR>Date: 02/15/2003, 10:01 am <BR>Message: Andrea,<BR><BR>As you may already know, I used the domain www.rexbickers.italy.com in connection with the Fodorites 2001 trip to Italy. This is provided by the website www.unitedstates.com and theere are a certain numher of creative possibilities for free domain names there.<BR><BR>Here are a few:<BR><BR>Yourname.myplace.com<BR>Yourname.italy .com<BR>Yourname.spain.com<BR>Yourname.netherlands .com<BR>Yourname.denmark.com<BR>Yourname.oldworld. com<BR><BR>Yourname.insider.com<BR>Yourname.opport unities.com<BR><BR>You might find other possibilities that appeal to you.<BR><BR>You'll get the e-mail address [email protected] with any of these<BR><BR>It's only 2 Mb of free storage - - and certainly no frills or tools, but the key (for me) was to have a nice domain name (and free); there are probably creative ways to link to other locations where you can get even more free storage (I don't know about those blocking problems, and how they might interfere).<BR><BR>Are there no hosting services IN China which advertise to consumers in local computer-oriented publications?<BR><BR>I think that most of us can only imagine these restrictions you face. There are freedoms and opportunities that are so intrinsic to living here in America. They must seem surreal over a vast (majority?) portion of the earth's surface.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR><BR>======== ===============<BR><BR>This post really was indeed deleted, as you can see at this URL:<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&amp;tid=34401278<BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 12:35 PM

Hi<BR><BR>I started with geocities, but got fed up with the ads.<BR><BR>I wanted something that was free, but didn't include &quot;free&quot; in the name !<BR><BR>I went to netfirms free hosting.<BR>Seems OK, no pop ups, but the banner adds are sometimes a bit bright !<BR><BR>Eventually I paid the USD60 per year to remove the banners.<BR><BR>You can see what they look like here :<BR><BR>Free : http://mgs1970.netfirms.com/<BR>Paid : http://tlp.netfirms.com/<BR><BR>I kept the geocities site as a feeder because it is in the yahoo directory.<BR><BR>I kept the tlp.netfirms name because its listed on many search engines.<BR><BR>Peter<BR><BR>
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 01:22 AM

Thanks, jpm, for reposting!! I find it completely bizzare that they deleted my post!<BR><BR>At any rate, any other suggestions out there? For some reason I can't log on to the netfirms site (I tried both URLs - probably blocked in China - they seem to block random things). The unitedstates site looks good, but am interested in any other options fellow Fodorites could recommend.<BR><BR>Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 03:56 AM
rex

unabashedly topping - - other answers? for Andrea? (and I am always interested in good/free web hosting web sites myself).<BR>
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 12:16 PM

And now it is :

www.the-languedoc-page.com

Having the right URL has boosted visitors.

Peter