Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How long until Fodorites (or other "Euro-dites") start podcasting?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2005, 07:34 AM
rex
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/19/te...odcasting.html

Would I listen to one? Would I participate in the making of one?

Do even curious minds want to know?

I'm betting yes. To at least one of these three questions.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 07:44 AM

Rex,
What did the article state? I am not a member of NY times and don't wnat to register. ( I get loads of emails from the LA Times and am tired of it!!)
Can you tell us in a nut shell!!??
Thanks, Anne
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 07:58 AM

The gist is that millions of narcissists will soon be using their iPos to record banal "radio" programs which they will then make available via internet to a longing public. Thousands already are, and it doesn't appear there is any way to stop them.

p.s. I turned off all the options in my NYT profile, and I haven't received one single unsolicited e-mail from them since.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 08:10 AM
rex
Original Poster

There is a whole world of "wanna-be amateur radio broadcasters" who tape their own "shows" - - some sophisticated, and single topic; others more like a verbal blog on a considerable range of topics - - and then making the MP3 file available as a free iPod (or any other mp3 player, or just on your computer, for that matter) download. Some are getting hundreds of downloads, others thousands, thus constituting a little "audience".

Arguably, travel makes a radio show on NPR from nothing other than talk (i.e., Rudy Maxa) - - or am I mistaken? now gone by the wayside? - - see http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4251893

Would you listen to a "Fodorites' discussion" of a topic (or rambling - - and presumably any topic would lead to rambling)? in the raw?

Like this forum, I submit that the appeal of any such content would depend as much or more on good questions - - as on good answers.

It occurs to me that at the one Fodorite GTG I have attended (helped organize/host, actually) - - it didn't become a "Q&A" session, at least, not in any sustained way.

Still, I submit that the right combo of 3-5 "regulars" here, given a good mix of "call-in questions" would generate a favorable "wheat:chaff" ratio.

By the way, you really <i>should</i> register at www.nytimes.com - - I suppose a civilized life doesn't actually <i>require</i> it, but why would one anyone want to do without it? (and for what it's worth, I am <i><b>waaayy</b></i> far removed from the political slant of the dear old &quot;Grey Lady&quot.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Rex,
Interesting idea even for a non-narcissist IPOD owner.

Obviously, Robepierre's hate of anything IPOD continues.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 08:45 AM

I bought AAPL when it went off the cliff in late '00. The appreciation has bought me several very nice things.

Keep buying those iPos.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Rex,
Thank you for your informative answer. I appreciate it. I may consider registering for NYT. I prefer to read it on the weekends however!(in original form - paper)
I wish I had enough time to read everything I wanted to read!!
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Anne, I, too, never receive unsolicited email from the NYTimes.com and I've been registered for years. I do prefer the hard copy version but I had to give it up. Papers would accumulate and then I'd suffer from angst if I threw one away I hadn't read. I used to pack a week's worth in a separate bag when I traveled. I'm a sucker for a good non-fiction read but I got therapy and went with the dot com. I'm living a saner life now.

Check out http://www.bugmenot.com/ and watch fodors delete this reply.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 05:05 PM

I've been registered with the NYTimes for years and never got a single thing from them or anyone related to them that I know of. Methinks some of you are way behind on your spam blockers, virus software, adware software, spy blockers, etc. I'm no expert, but I've figured out ways to get practically no junk of any kind except from AOL itself, which deserves a separate rant.

I have mixed feelings about the pdcasting. I like an intelligent, lively online discussion among people with same interests, but how do you make that happen?

I envision a whole bunch of people signing on, as in the old AOL Travel Chat Rooms, and then the conversation veering this way and that with no direction. Personally, I can't stand conversations like that. On the other hand, if it were sort of organized from the start, with a topic established and some people on hand who could answer questions about that topic, maybe - but how do you organize that, and do I really want to spend more time online for something like this? Not really - I think I'd rather be traveling otr giving tours to *real* people.