Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any advice for traveling to Paris in late May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any general advice for traveling to Paris in late May?

Clothes to bring?
Buying passes(musuem and bus)?
Safe to walk around at night?
Must brings? or must buys?

At this point any kind of advice would be helpful

thanks again!
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:51 PM

We were also there in late May in 2001 and had both cold rain and very warm weather so prepare for both. Definitely bring shoes that will support the rain. I had a fairly miserable day at the Musee D'Orsay with cold wet feet. Also, definitely bring a umbrella although those can be bought anywhere.

We were staying in the Left Bank which was very safe to walk around at night. My only scary moment was down in the Metro trying to buy museum passes (never figured that out) when a man approached me because we heard I spoke English. I knew to just shake my head and get out of there as fast as I could which I did.

Also, because the Seine has lots of bugs hatching that time of year, bring some mosquito repellent, Off wipes, etc. We had a room overlooking the Seine and kept our windows open thinking it was fabulous until we were covered with bites. Not very romantic.

I am also buying the new iPhone when it is released soon so I will have GPS capability when we go back this July. I think this should help alot with the Metro/Buses, etc, because we failed at that last time.

Hope this helps and have a wonderful trip!
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Hi Cali88,
DH & I will be in Paris later this month as well. Will we see you at the GTG on the 29th?
We've been to Paris several times before at this time of year and have had all kinds of weather. The climate is quite changeable, and the days are wonderfully long as the sun doesn't set until 10pm or so. It's best to bring layers, a light raincoat, small umbrella, and comfortable shoes. Late May can be really beautiful and with a little luck, you won't need the rain gear at all. We generally buy one carnet for each of us (for the week), but don't bother with museum passes. If this is your first trip to Paris or if you plan on many museum visits, then the pass should be worthwhile. We prefer the bus to the metro, and have never encountered a problem strolling at night. Of course the best transport for you will depend on where you're staying. Most of our purchases center around food - just can't get enough of the mustards, honeys and spices at a typical Paris grocery. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. EJ
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:25 PM

Hi Cali 88,
The weather in Paris is indeed changeable in May. I've both roasted and frozen there during that time.
I actually prefer the metro if the distance isn't walkable. The view isn't great, but you aren't subject to traffic snarls either. Time is everything when you have only a brief visit.
The museum pass is a great idea if you plan to visit several, and it is wonderful to be able to bypass the ticket line at Versailles.
People will be out walking at night, and I generally feel very safe doing so as well. Don't however, ignore that sixth sense that warns when an area just doesn't feel quite right, just as you wouldn't in any city.
Scarves are great purchases, and interesting handmade jewelry is easy to find. I also like Fragonard perfumes and soaps.
I will be in Paris in late May as well, but will have students with me. Hope your trip is wonderful.
Old May 12th, 2010, 02:33 AM

May can indeed be unpredictable! Have friends there now. They have been there for a week with so-so weather. Yesterday was the pits! Pouring rain and cold. They were disappointed as they had a lot of plans for their last day before catching the train to the Dordogne today.

Having some funny weather here in NC, too...c'est la vie!

Joan
Old May 12th, 2010, 03:50 AM

We are in Paris for the month of May right now....daily temps roughly 50-65. It looks like rain many days but yesterday it was raining all day (our first day like that). Second half of the month looks to be 55-low 70's. All the trees and flowers are in full bloom and beautiful.

Most 20-35 year olds are in jeans and anything black, and in fact black seems to be de rigeur for most ages. If you want to stand out ugly wear shorts, tshirt and ballcap.

Bring a fold up umbrella just in case. We have been walking at night in a least half the Arr. over 6 of the last 10 years visiting here and not had a problem, thankfully, and we seldom get "home" until around midnight. If concerned, take a cab, but the Metro works just great. Enjoy!
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:41 AM

Well, I am watching the weather right now for the same period...

And if the weather continues as it is now I will not be bringing "light clothes, sandles" I also never take "skirt and dress"

I am actually re-thinking the wardrobe to make it "warmer" because it's cooler then I have had in Paris on other May visits.
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:29 AM

I'm on weather watch also. so far it looks like I am packing fall clothes (for the East coast of the states). No sandals. I have lots of dressy jeans and lightweight sweaters I plan on bringing. I don't mind cool but hopping for sunny days.
I also thought about dressy capris but now I'm leaning toward leaving them at home.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

may I ask what websites you guys are tracking the weather on? I just brought all these dresses too.. oh man maybe I should re-think my plans
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

I'm thinking if it's in th 60's we should be good to wear dreesses? or am I wrong on that thought?
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:49 AM
tod

I love Paris in May - the mornings start off quite cool especially if there is a slight breeze, then warm to a temp. where a short sleeve blouse is very comfortable. I always take a light sweater or bodywarmer which I can put back on in the evening.
You may find this useful: http://www.tomsguidetoparis.com/TomsGuideToParis.php

Have a wonderful time until I get there in July!
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:53 AM

All weather websites use about the same source, the weather doesn't vary that much. I think there are about two main weather predictions sources that are used by various websites, so sometimes the predictions can vary a bit by a few degrees or so, but not a lot. I use yahoo but I think its weather really comes from weather.com. This is a good Paris website with specific Paris stats and links, but it just goes to intellicast for the weather
http://www.paris.org/Accueil/Climate/

Which shows about the same thing as Yahoo.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:56 AM

www.weather.com

I'll be in Paris at the end of May also (leaving next Thursday - woo hoo!) so I'm watching it also. I've been there May twice before and both times wore sandals and short sleeve tops the entire time. Maybe a jacket in the evenings a few times. It looks like I will plan for shoes and longer sleeves! Not sure why you wouldn't be able to wear dresses when it is about 70 degrees out during the day. Just bring a jacket or sweater for the evenings in case it cools down.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:56 AM

oh, those websites can't predict for the end of May, anyway, they predict about 10 days. I don't think you can assume whatever the weather is this week is what it will be at the end of May. The avg. temp in May is in the 60s, that's normal and it is the rainiest month of the year.
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:18 AM
tod

I want to point out that Jade123 said the Champs Elysees is NOT safe at night?! Whats' not safe about it? For the commercial part of it with thousands of people cruising the sidewalks, eating at the dozens of restaurants, and just out having a good time - I have always felt very safe even when travelling alone. Further down where the gardens are I would not walk around there at night, so maybe that's what Jade was referring to?
And the hotel recommended.......just off Champs Elysees? Doesn't make sense Jade if you say it's not safe at night.
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:24 AM

<<Champs Elysees ins't safe at night.>>

That's a hoot.
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:59 AM

To generalize what I have seen on the streets of Paris the last two weeks, and considering that this is coming from an older male specie who does profess to know what things are called, here is a view on what people are wearing today with temps ranging between 50 and 65. The under 35 crowd: women wear sweaters or a jacket with scarf, black tights under a short skirt or under denim shorts, with stylish boots both 6 inch height to calf height. Men wear sweaters with scarf, jeans, and "bowling" shoe styles.

The middle age crowd and above: women wear pants (as in pants suits) but with different jacket tops with scarfs and ususally a top coat of some sort (the half length), and shoes that mostly have some sort of a heel. Men wear Docker like pants with long sleeve shirt with or without a sweater, with scarf and half length top coat of some sort and shoes that are not used in outdoor sports.

While darker clothes are seen out and about I'm sure the tights will be put away and the dresses and color will lighten with warmer weather. If you want seems to be an "in" color at the department stores, it is purple. My comments above are based what I have seen French speaking people wear (could be an American of course), because if you spend all your time at the Eiffel Tower etc you will see absolutely everything from visitors. In the end, will anyone really care what you wear....so just be comfortable.
Old May 13th, 2010, 07:40 AM

I am in Paris now and have been here since May 8. The weather has been cold and many showers. I was here at the same time last year and it was warm and sunny. So of course I packed based on last years weather. I am now multi layered to try to keep warm.
I will be here about another 11 days and supposedly the weather will reach the high 60's low 70's by the weekend.i would suggest clothes that you can layer and a folding umbrella
i
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:54 AM

The weather in May is extremely unpredictable, although it is generally nice. It can get up to 100° F some years, and drop to 40° F in other years (it's 50° F in Paris right now, at 7 PM, and heavily overcast).

Bring things that you can put on or remove in layers to adjust your clothing to fit the temperature. Rain in Paris, when it occurs, tends to be misty rather than driving, making the utility of an umbrella debatable. Typically it will rain for several days, then it will be clear for a few days, then it will rain again, etc.
Old May 13th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

oh man.. I was thinking about heading over to the ET on May 28th.. maybe I should wait until Jun 1 or something for better weather?