Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any advice for a night train from Vienna?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 11:55 AM
ron

I would like to travel from Vienna to Brussels and would like to take a night train. I was hoping that someone might give me any advice or tips to avoid any unpleasantness. Also, should I be worried about sharing sleeping quarters with strangers? Thanks in advance.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 01:29 PM
BTilke

Ron, I've done that trip a few times. I highly recommend getting a sleeper compartment to yourself if your budget will allow. <BR>If you're traveling during winter or early spring hours, you won't see much because it's dark (or just about) when the train leaves--so try and get up as soon as it's light to see some scenery in Austria. <BR>If you get your own compartment, take a picnic with you--if you stop in the Sablon section of Brussels before catching the train you can get some nice upscale snacks, sandwiches, and chocolates at the Wittamer patisserie. In the Gare du Midi (assuming you leave from that station), there is a small supermarket (a mini GB, next to the Body Shop store) where you can get a bottle of Evian, sparkling water, beer, snacks, etc. <BR>The car with private sleeping compartments have their own attendant who will make up your bed for you when you're ready (and put the bed &quot;away&quot; for you in the morning). He also will collect your passport to show border patrols and then return it to you in the morning (breakfast is included, but it's not very good). The compartments themselves have sinks, handtowels, soap, and a few sealed cups of drinking water (the water from the sink isn't drinkable.) No toilet, but there is one at the end of the car. Finally, be sure to lock your compartment door when you're in it and don't leave valuables (i.e., your wallet) in the compartment if you go roaming the train. Thefts aren't common but they do happen.<BR>Sorry, I don't have any experience with couchettes--I prefer to travel in my own compartment or take the day train! (You can take a day train from Brussels to Vienna--but it's a long ride and you have to change trains in Germany [Koln]).<BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 01:34 PM
BTilke

Forgot to add, I also HIGHLY recommend taking an Austrian Airlines flight to Vienna. I really like Austrian Airlines, even in economy, and it's such a quick flight--about 90 minutes--and very competitively priced.<BR>BTilke

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 01:51 PM
ron

thanks for the advice. I would prefer to fly, but already have the train pass. I'm looking forward to time in Brussels. I am visiting the grave of an uncle in Leige. <BR>BTW - was thinking of spending the night in Brugge or Brussels. Any suggestions?

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 02:21 PM
BTilke

Although it would add an extra hour to your trip to Vienna (assuming you plan to go from Brugge to Vienna, changing trains in Brussels, of course), I would suggest staying in Brugge. The place we recommend to all our friends/family planning to stay overnight in Brugge is Number 11. Check their web site, www.number11.be<BR>Also, do a search here for my message &quot;Bruges Moderne&quot; for some other Brugge/Bruges suggestions.<BR>BTilke (Brussels)<BR>P.S. It's Liege, not Leige, (or &quot;Luik&quot; in Flemish)

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Sheila

Did a night train from Venice to Vienna - it is great, but Definitely get a sleeper compartment. There are some great train websites for european travel that give you the exact details about what the seats and arrangements are like and the difference between having a ticket and a reservation. Go to Eurail.com and search away. You can often get tickets before your trip sent to you in the States if your travel days are firm.<BR><BR>Trains in Europe are great - we just did Budapet - {Rague and loved it also.<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 12:44 AM
bru

Ron,<BR><BR>I have travelled by couchette many times and never had any problems. It is much cheaper than getting your own compartment. If you go this route, I always ask for the top bunk and sleep with my head toward the window, this makes it harder for someone to open the door and snatch something from you (like a watch). I think most of the problems are during the summer when there are the most travellers.<BR><BR>I was on a night train from Vienna to Venice a couple of years ago where the two Brits sleeping on the two bottom couchette bunks both had their money belts stolen. They had wrapped their belts around their wrists, but someone opened the door while they were asleep and cut the belts off their wrists.<BR><BR>If you are taking the train from Vienna to Brussels, I assume you will get off at Liege which is to the East of Brussels and on the same route. If you spend some time in Liege that day and then come to Brussels you may not want to sleep in Brugge which is an hour by train in the opposite direction.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:47 AM
Ben Haines

Dear Mr Vogel,<BR><BR>There is a note on getting the best from sleepers and couchettes at http://www.twenj.com/tipsnighttrains.htm, and I think your train appears in http://www.seat61.com/. To use a seats car raises the chances of theft, and delivers you tired in Brussels. The supplement for a berth in a 6 berth couchette, which s crowded if full, is about 13 euros, and for a berth in a 3 berth sleeper is about 50 euros: the sleeper charge is good value. You share with people of your own sex, and I have never found that a problem. Compartments in both styles have locks and fixed chains on the door: so long as all occupants use these theft seems to me very unlikely indeed. You can buy a picnic meal in the supermarket on the ground floor in Vienna West station. Your train, the Donauwalzer, leaves Vienn at 1900, and you can leave your bag in your sleeper at 1845, then walk along the platform (counting the cars) to find a day car to sit and eat your picnic supper. You may be able to walk back inside the train: if not, you have three minutes at Linz, 2147 to 2150, to regain your sleeper. You come to Liege at 0814, a suitable hour for a station breakfast.<BR><BR>Brugge is a pleasanter city than Brussels, indeed, is a world heritage site. Day trains leave Liege Guillemins station at 0655 and hourly till 2155, and take two hours to Brugge, with no change of train.<BR><BR>Eurail take a markup of fifty percent, so in the States you do better to buy from Euraide, with offices in Florida: http://www.euraide.de/. Telephone in USA 1 941-480-1555. Fax 1 941-480-1522. E-mail [email protected]<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:50 AM
Ben Haines

Sorry for a mistake. The Linz times are 2047 to 2050.<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>