brussels, paris, & vienna

Jul 8th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

brussels, paris, & vienna

hello,

i will be visiting the three aforementioned cities for 3 weeks in december-january (will be in paris for xmas and new year's). although i've been to paris four times before, i've never been to brussels or vienna, so i have a few questions:

1. does brussels have some sort of museum pass like paris? if so, how do i get one (if it's worth it)?
2. would daytrips from paris be a bit of a hassle from paris (because of the holiday season)? i was just thinking of visiting rouen, lille, even the loire valley...
3. i'll be taking an overnight train from paris to vienna. couchette or sleeper? (i suppose it depends on my budget.)
4. is it easy to 'sightsee' in vienna if i will be based in the 15th district (rudolfsheim/funfhaus)?

those are my main questions for now, but general advice is also welcome. (i know i can find those in another posts, though.) thanks in advance.
Jul 8th, 2003, 11:02 PM

I was channel surfing the other day and came across a story on one of the Flemish stations about Brussels introducing a metro/museum pass like the Paris Visite pass. I will try and find out more info for you.
You should definitely try to visit Bruges while you are in Belgium--it has a wonderful quality in winter, especially if you have to be there when it's snowing.
You will find one nice thing about Brussels that time of year--unlike Paris, many Brussels cafes have big fireplaces.
I have taken the overnight train to Vienna and back a few times (but from Brussels, not Paris) and would highly, highly recommend a private sleeper over a couchette if your budget allows.
If you want to make a long day of it, though, you could actually take a day train. You'll see a lot more.
BTilke (Brussels)
Jul 9th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Intrepid

I have to second the recommendation for a private berth on the overnight train trip...I think the additional comfort and security are worth the price paid..but if those aren't big issues for you then a couchette would probably work fine.

Jul 14th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies. however, i will probably fly into vienna instead, because i can get a one-way flight for around 140 EUR.
Jul 15th, 2003, 07:17 AM
ira

Hi,

www.europebyair.com has a $99 fare from Brussels to Vienna.
Jul 15th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

ira,

thanks for the tip. i have to fly out of paris, though.
Jul 15th, 2003, 11:15 AM

We just returned from Brussels, Bruges and Paris. There isn't a tremendous amount to see and do in Brussels. It isn't like Rome or Paris. We stayed at the Hotel Welcome (www.hotelwelcome.com) and loved it Don't miss the Musical Instrument museum. It's incredible. I also suggest a couple of nights in Bruges. It's a wonderful walking city and it's magical.It's only an hour from Brussels and 2.5 hours from Paris.