Another Vatican Dress Code Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I see that it is no shorts or bare shoulders. But, are 'capri' pants okay-- the ones that fall to mid calf? Is it just that your knees need to be covered?

I have teenage daughters that wear short skirts, and I know that is a no-no. Could they bring and slip on those 'leggings' under their skirts that cover the leg down to their ankles?

I guess for men the only alternative really is to wear pants; is that correct?

Thanks!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:28 AM

Capri pants are OK.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:59 AM

It seems an odd problem to me. If you want to visit the Vatican, why not wear appropriate clothing for that day?
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 04:03 AM

Yes, yes, yes & yes. And don't forget to wear at least short sleeves.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Padraig--

I am trying to dress appropriately; thats why I'm asking!

I'm trying to balance dressing properly with not having to pack bulkier clothes that will only be worn once on the trip, and trying to stay cool while waiting in line.

Thanks
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Anything that is suitable for the Vatican is also suitable for anywhere else in Italy, so it need not be a one-use outfit.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:14 AM

luv2go, what underlay my challenge was not your question about capris, but the question about your daughters donning leggings under their skirts. Surely it would make as much, or more, sense for them to have capris or light cotton pants for visiting the Vatican and perhaps for other places where short skirts are not favoured. Or, indeed, if the evenings become cool.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:26 AM

Vatican and other Catholic churches : knees and shoulders covered. It's just that
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 07:24 AM

I visited the Vatican last winter. I had on an above the knee wool skirt, but I also had thick tights on. By this logic, I would imagine that leggings under a shorter skirt would serve the same function, and would not be a problem.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 08:49 AM

We were at the Vatican last month, and one of our male travelling companions had on shorts - the long baggy kind. No problem with that. There was a sign outside that indicated what was acceptable and not acceptable, and he felt like his dress was acceptable.

Frankly, I was much more dismayed by the number of people yakking on cell phones in the Vatican than anything I saw being worn.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 09:35 AM

It would make a lot more sense for these girls to simply wear skirts that weren't above the knee. Wouldn't that make more sense and be easier? Putting leggings underneath a skirt sounds like torture to me in the summer (and looks very stupid, I don't care what the idiotic current fashions are).

A lot of young women and teenagers do indeed wear nice cool, cotton skirts in Europe in summer that are not above the knee. Really. In fact, such skirts were really popular in the places I went in Europe last summer, more girls were wearing skirts than pants/capris (and def. not shorts) in the cities. Some were short skirts, but most were not, going from kneelength to ankle-length.

Actually, you could find hip-hugger skirts easily that can fit the need to show off the skin, if that's the idea -- and then it would be easier to pull down a Tshirt or something over the top so skin didn't show. Those hip-hugger skirts usually were longer, as I recall, as that balances the design better.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Capri pants are fine - but women need to make sure upper arms and most of bosom are covered too, as well as midriff (some of the latest tee shirts have sleeves but are cut way too low in front).

For men - they should really wear pants - unless they want to risk having to tie a shawl around their waist to make a skirt to cover their knees.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

The girls skirts and sundresses that they are taking to Italy are 'short' They are 16 and very thin and that is the kinds of clothes they have; I don't want to buy anything new, or have to pack jeans, which are the only real long pants they have--jeans are bulky and too hot to wear in the summer in Italy. The girls are taking sundresses and skirts to wear most of the time, because we don't like to wear shorts in Europe--(its just that their skirts are shortand well above the knee) So, my thought was the capris or the leggings that they could throw on at the entrance to 'cover up'

Thanks all for your help
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 02:20 PM

I agree that capris will be fine as will a nice peasant style skirt. It is important to teach all tourists to be respectful. (even if they are 16) If the girls just won't consider wearing appropriate clothes maybe just don't take them to the places that have a dress code.

In the case of the Vatican (as well as some other places you will likely visit in Italy), it is not just a custom but a rule. From the signs I saw in September, your "leggings" alternative won't cut it.

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM

A sarong would do the trick.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 02:35 PM

I agree with lilylace, it is a good time for your kids to learn they sometimes have to pay the price if they are going to certain places in the world. I don't think leggings will cut it either but they can put on capris under their skirt for the times they will be in churches, etc. Have fun.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

I'm amused that people jump to the conclusion that my girls don't WANT to wear something that is appropriate. They are respectful of dress codes, and mindful of customs in other countries, which is precisely why I asked the question in the first place. THEY know that they need to dress correctly and brought up the capri option with me as we were discussing packing, because above all else, I stress packing lightly with them as they plan their wardrobe options. They are relatively well traveled and know that the outfits that they take to say, Hawaii are not necessarily the outfits that one would take to sightsee through major capitals in Europe. They know that short shorts and tank tops are not suitable to dressing for dinner in Europe, which is why they are mainly taking skirts and sundresses, albeit short ones at that.

We don't often visit places such as Saint Peters on our trips, and we were just making sure that we did bring a proper and suitable outfit, although one that would stand up to waiting long hours in line in the hot Italian sun.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Honestly, I think the easiest thing to do is to get them each one knee length skirt. They are in fashion right now and can be had for very little money at places like Old Navy. Get a cotton knit and it won't take up hardly any room. Or those cotton knit gaucho things I keep seeing in the store....
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:28 PM

http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/produc...amp;pid=455741 See! $14.00 and a rainbow of colors. Problem solved.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:59 PM

well, now that you have explained it, good for you for setting a good example for them. Can they take some cotton capris?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -