Another Paris Museum Pass Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We very old, but still valid three day passes. How old .... well we got the free when we joined the now defunct Club France in the early 90's. I have no idea what I am saving them for.

We regularly visit various museums, but I guess I have been saving them for a really big museum blitz -- the kind of thing that you do on your first few trips and then you taper off.

I realize that the long line situation on the below, especially the Orangerie may be better or worse when we are there for two weeks over the Holidays.

Depending on the weather, etc..we might, just might our passes this year.

Questions:

1. I printed out two lists from different sites, for reference only, that sell the passes online. One says that it is good for the Carnavalet and the other list says it isn't.

2. Is the new Branly Museum covered?

3. Orangerie - any advantage in using the pass over purhasing a reservation from FNAC?

3. I guess the Grand and the Petit Palaces are not covered, not on either list?

4. How are the lines at the Grand Palace. Any point in buying tickets at FNAC (as long as I will be there anyway) or just buy the
tickets there?

Thanks,

Nina
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

I just noticed on the list that the Petit-Palais is on the pass list - how about he Grande Palais?
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Question 1: Carnavalet is a free Museum.....but you can leave a donation to help if you want.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Goldwynn, Now I remember reading that the Mayor made it free of admission. Haven't been there in a few years, it has been a long time favorite.

Do they still have the peacocks in the back roaming free? I remember them for 1982, but haven't paid attention on subsequent visits.

Another question ... do all FNACs sell tickets? I've been in a few, but wasn't interested in puchasing tickets at the time. We will probably be going to the store in the Bastlle near the opera house.

Nina
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

oooops, bad typo in first sentence - we are not _very_ old, the passes are! (especially in dog years).

Nina
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 11:59 AM

The problem may be that now the passes are for 2,4,6 days. You may just have to find out if they are still good.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 12:00 PM

The Petit Palais is free, also, I was just there.

I wouldn't trust a site that was selling them, because those aren't the official publishers and it could be outdated. Go to the city's own site on the pass and see what they say. Even that isn't totally up-to-date as they list the Orangerie as still closes. But that's where the others get their lists from, just lagged.

I don't know about the Grand Palais, except I thought they usually had only special exhibits in there, and then the pass wouldn't apply for them, anyway. Maybe I'm wrong on that, that's all I've ever been there for. I did go to the Petit Palais last month, and didn't see any long lines across the street at the Grand Palais.

Someone on here talked about the pass at the Orangerie, and I can't recall if you need a reservation if you have the pass or not. Maybe someone else knows. I just got my reservation at FNAC, which was easy.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 12:01 PM

oh, I think all FNACs do sell tickets, but I know the Bastille one does as I've gone there.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 12:04 PM

So are the old 1/3/5 day passes still accepted, now that they've been revamped to 2/4/6 day passes...?
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 12:17 PM

I dunno -- I don't see why not, there is no expiration date on them. The number of days they are valid for shouldn't make them invalid. Of course, a 3-day pass wouldn't be treated as a 4-day pass, but I think Raileurope was selling 1-3-5 day passes after the new ones were out, so I don't think they'd be doing that if they wouldn't be honored.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd guess a 3-day pass would still be accepted since they were being sold up until Feb.

However - your passes are <b>fifteen</b> years old give or take! I wouldn't count on them being valid.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

I couldn't get onto the official museum pass site with my Web TV, I have to have DH do it with his laptop - that's why I was checking the 'for sale' sites for information.

The Rail Europe site said that the old passes, 1, 3, and 5 days would continue to be valid with no expiration date. I guess just like metro tickets

I have no idea if my old 3 day pass looks like the ones that they stopped selling this year.
Wouldn't that be a hoot if I saved it for so long, only to have it become obsolete ;-)

The front is black with a white square and says 'carte' across it and 3 jours. The back is where you write in your name and the starting date, is pink.

I would assume that they had no reason to change it before they came out with the new passes.

Christina, it's too bad that you missed the Grand Palais - the interior is spectacular. We saw it last year when they had a free day before it was opened for exhibits. I can hardly wait to go back. It appears that they have regular special exhibits.

Nina