Another Neuschwanstein Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much time should I allow btw the time I arrive in Fussen and the entry time I request at the castle.

Shooting for the 7:51 train out of Munich, arriving in Fussen at 9:57.

Thanks!
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Fussen is about a 10min drive from Hohenscwangau which is the little village at the base of the castle. From there you can walk up to the castle or catch a bus or take a horse and buggy. Bus takes about 10 min, walk is about 30 - 45 min uphill quite steep or maybe longer. Probably about 20 min to walk downhill. Buses do run to a schedule so depending on their time so maybe check when you book your castle entry whether there is a bus connecting with that entry. Also where the bus stops is not quite at the castle and you have the option to walk out to the bridge and lookout first and then there is still a 10 min walk to the castle. I would allow about 1 hour 30 min at least. Hope this helps
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 07:53 PM

I think you need to read the web site for Neuschwanstein about how to get there. From the description, there is no easy way to get there by bus from Füßsen. You go to Hohenschwangau and the you either take another bus or walk.
The walk is said to be 30 minutes.

I went by car because the route seemed complex and lengthy.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:30 PM

I've been to Füssen three times, Neuschwanstein twice and Hohenschwangau castle once. It is very easy to get from the Füssen bahnhof to the ticket kiosk in Hohenschwangau. The bus leaves the parking lot outside the bahnhof a few minutes after the train arrives. If you drive to Hohenschwangau, you have to park at the bottom and walk up anyhow (I have never seen a private car on the road up to the castle - they are probably banned to prevent interference with the horse drawn carriages on the road - and I don't think there are any parking places at the top).

When we were there, we came over on the bus from Oberstdorf, got there about 11 AM, bought our tickets at the kiosk, had lunch at the hotel at the bottom of the hill, walked to the castle and had plenty of time - simple. We had time to see Hohenschwangau as well, but my wife opted for shopping instead.

You can probably use a Bayern-Ticket and leave Munich after 9 AM and still have plenty of time.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Larry, and the rest of the fodorites. I am taking my 63 year old mother with me, this is why I need to rely on this bus.

I will go to the site and see if I can figure out the bus schedule.

Thanks!
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 05:08 AM
ira

HI M,

The ticket center website says:
"Please note that tickets are to be collected from the Ticket-Center one hour before your time of entrance at the latest".

See www.hohenschwangau.de/ticketcenter0.0.html

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 07:24 AM

Probably the best place to get the entire schedule is from the Bahn website, http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en. Put in "Munich Hbf", and "Hohenschwangau", your date (dd/mm/yy, or use the calendar), and 700 for the time. When you get a list of connections, click over the station names to see the details. The details will show your arrival time in Füssen and the bus times to Hohenschwangau.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 08:18 AM

To see a layout of the Füssen Bahnhof, with the bus stops shown, go to http://www.stationsdatenbank.bayern-...mp;efz=8002156. On the opposite side of the station building from the tracks is a parking lot, and on the far side of the lot are bus stops, really just signs on posts. It looks like the bus to Hohenschwangau leaves from bus stop 2. If you arrive at 9:57, you will have 8 minutes, plenty of time, to get to the bus. It looks like Hohenschwangau is the fifth and last stop for the bus. The trip takes 8 minutes.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Lastly, if you come out on the 7:51, you will have a change of trains at Buchloe. It is a simple, cross platform change. Your train comes in on track 5, you get off and walk across to the other side of the platform (track 4), and get on the other train, which should already be waiting there.

The main thing is to be ready to get off the first train when it gets to the station. The train arrives in Buchloe about 10 minutes after leaving Kaufering. The stations have large hanging name signs.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for this info Larry, it is great!

I will run this query right now. We need to start our journey at Munich Riem, as it is the closest stop to our hotel. The NH Munich Dornach.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 03:32 PM

I think if you put in "Munich Riem" as the starting point you will find a schedule. Riem is on the S-2 and S-4 lines east of town. The schedule might tell you to take the S-bahn to the Hbf and catch your regional train to Füssen there, or to take the S-bahn to Pasing and catch your train there. There is a little less distance in Pasing between the S-bahn tracks and those used by regional trains.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 03:45 PM

Wow, I guess it pays to help people. I 1990, the company put me in a hotel in that area. I have always wonder what it was; I think the name has changed. Looking at the picture, I am sure it was the Dornach.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Yes yes it does! Curiously, how do you know so much about Munich? Did you live/worked there?
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 05:20 PM

I was in Munich three times (7 nights) in the 1980s. Two were business trips so all arrangements were made by the company, but one (4 nights) was a leisure trip so I had to make all the arrangements myself.

Since 2000 I have been back twice (5 nights), both leisure trips, plus I have passed through Munich twice on the train. In early October I will take a two week trip (www.geocities.com/larry_aufderstrasse)in and around Munich, so I have been heavily involved in planning that trip.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi Larry, this message is very very very late, but I wanted to thank you for all you guidance in planning our trip.

We tryly enjoyed Munich, Oktoberfest, and many tasty pork knuckles!