Reload this Page >

Another Neuschwanstein Question?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Larry

For making the best time and having the easier walk for children to only the Neuschwanstein Castle and Marienbruke (Mary's Castle), which seemed best to those of you who have been there? Option 1: To take the bus to Marienbruke, take in the view from there, and then do the 10 minute walk down to the Neuschwanstein Castle? Or,option 2: To take the carriage up to near the Neuschwanstein castle, walk the 5 minute walk to the castle from the carriage stop, and then walk up to Marienbruke after the castle tour. Not being experienced with the options, it looks like Option 1 has some merit, though I don't see any comments to that effect on any these postings. I could be missing some, but could anyone clarify this some or give your opion? Anyone? Thanks.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Larry

Ooops. That's Mary's Bridge, not castle.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 01:27 PM
hobis

We walked up to the castle and did the bridge after the tour - the walk up to the castle is very steep. It might be better with kids to start from the top and work your way down.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Leo

I think option 1 is better. When you take the bus, your walk is downhill to the castle. On the carriage your walk is uphill. Also remember then that if you are walking down to the castle then you will be walking UP to the bus if you take the round trip. Maybe take the bus up and hike down. Have fun.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 01:38 PM
John G

Yes, the walk up to Neuschwanstein is very steep indeed. I was there as a teen with my family and I can remember my mother, Linda, who was 44 at the time, screaming, "Jesus Christ, where is an ambulance when you need one? Im going to need a ventilator when I get to the top." <BR><BR>See what happens when you smoke?

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 01:47 PM
heidi

We took our two kids to neuschwanstein last year. we stayed at the delightful Hotel Muller in schwangau. There were horse-drawn carriages that you could take up to the castle and avoid the walk. We then walked up the trail to the bridge.<BR>It was great.<BR>heidi

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Nancy

You could be REALLY lazy like we were & take the bus up & take the carriage down. The best of both worlds!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Larry

Thanks all - great responses. I believe I like Nancy's suggestion. Best of two worlds. Will give it try in Sept.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Mustangs81

We have been to Neuschwanstein numerous times. On our first visit the local elderly population twice my age passed us without the slightest huff or puff. I vowed that I would always walk up.<BR><BR>My strategy now is to stop frequently and play like I'm looking at the floria in order to catch my breath. It's been a challenge but I haven't caved yet.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Rita

Dear Larry<BR>I'm with Nancy (previous poster). Our family of 4 (2 middle-aged, out-of-shape adults and 2 kids ages 7 & 10) visited Neuschwanstein June 16th. We took the bus up, walked across the bridge (fabulous view) and then took the horse-drawn carriage ride down. The carriage on the way down had many Japanese tourists with us - my kids know how to count to 20 in Japanese & say a few phrases - they sure impressed the sweet Japanese ladies. These same ladies got a real kick out of my kids waving and singing "Sayanara!" to all the poor, tired, sweaty, bedraggled wretches hiking up/down the hill on foot! It was fun & the rides were certainly easier on us slightly (?) chubby Americans!<BR>Have a great time