Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for clean/safe/less expensive hotels in Athens, Crete, Santorini, Nafplion and Monemvassia

Looking for clean/safe/less expensive hotels in Athens, Crete, Santorini, Nafplion and Monemvassia

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:04 PM
Marian

Hello!
I am thinking about visiting Greece this September, but am a little hesitant because of the cost. I will be traveling solo and had thought to visit Athens, Santorini, Crete, Nafplion and Monemvassia. Possibly a day/overnight trip to Delphi.
Any recommendations for less expensive but decently located, clean and safe hotels? Yes, I know! Santorini is not an inexpensive choice, but, if I'm going all the way to Greece, I've got to see Santorini!
Oh, yeah, if anyone has a convertible Porsche that they would like to give away...

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:40 AM
Tricia

I'll be in Greece in September I'm paying 65 euros for the Attalos in Athens (it's in the rants and raves section). In Santorini I'm paying 30 euros at Stelios Place (it's in Perissia), in Oia I'm staying at the Esperas for 150 (I'm only staying one night). I haven't stayed in the other areas so I can't offer any suggestions. Are you plan on a long visit because by the sounds of it you have a lot of ground to cover. Have a great vacation!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Sue

I've heard great things re Villa Mathios on Santorini; the prices are super for the island. It does not have a caldera view, but then again, you're not paying for the view either. I was going to book there for our lg. extended family group, who wanted inexpensive lodging, but trip fell thru.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Marian

Thanks for the advice! A friend just returned from Greece, stayed at Attalos in Athens, and stated that the only good thing about it was the roof garden, otherwise it would have been high up on my list. Stelios Place is definitely looking like a good choice. Any other suggestions? I'm planning on staying for about 3 weeks.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 02:37 AM
Kay

Marian,
we stayed at the Plaka Hotel in Athens, hotel on the budget side, basic, clean, private bathroom. Great location right near the Plaka.
Kay

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Michelle

The Tempi Hotel in Athens in Monastiraki is a cheap, clean, convenient place to stay. It's on Ermou, has views of the Acropolis. The owners, Yiannis and Katerina, are very helpful. In Santorini I stayed at Hotel Keti in Fira. Nice, large rooms, and friendly management. In Plakias in southern Crete I stayed at the youth hostel for $4 a night. That was 6 years ago but my guess is it's still cheap and a nice place to stay.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:59 AM
michael

Hi Marian,
I know both the Plaka and Attalos and they are fine. Also the Adonis and Acropolis House are both lovely and reasonably priced but often full, situated on a pedestrian street called Kodrou (I lived in central Athens for 7 years).
Crete- it depends where you want to go but there are some lovely hotels in Chania (Porto Colombo or Casa delfino if you're feeling like treating yourself) and Rethymnon (Veneto Suites, Mythos Suites). Or in the hills my absolute favourite place is Milia, a converted village with home grown organic food and lots of walks. I have stayed in all these places, and you can see reviews for them (and book them) on

http://www.i-escape.com/greeceaccommodation.php

Nafplion - try the Omorfi Poli for the best rates, or the Nafsimedon as 2nd choice.

Monemvasia - if you want cheap you'll have to stay on the mainland town called Gefira (lots of choice, including the Minoa which I have stayed in and is fine). But if you can stretch to it I recommend staying in the old town, which is wonderfully atmospheric after the day tippers have gone; here I have stayed in both the Ardamis (which is also on i-escape and has some cheaper rooms) and the Malvasia, which is spread over 3 buildings.

Santorini - if you're still looking the best, cheapest caldera-side place is Athina studios.

Good luck!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Marian

Thank you to every one for their help, especially Michael for possibly planning my entire itinerary! I just purchased my tickets today, and will be leaving Sept.6 and returning Sept.22. I had hoped to go longer but unfortunately both work and finances had to be taken into consideration.
If you have any more suggestions, looks like I will definitely need them!

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 10:53 PM
raz

Nafsimedeon in Nauplio. There is a great pastry shop beside the Nauplio, and maybe the turtle will still be in the courtyard to eat breakfast with you in the morning.
I never felt unsafe anywhere in Nauplio. I can't wait to go back.