Another clothing question -- sorry

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a postscript to my Rome/scarf post-- some other Rome in November fashion queries: (1) What are the late 20's/early 30's crowd wearing out at night in clubs/bars? I'm decently set for daytime-- sweaters, scarves, 2 pairs black pants, 2 pairs jeans, and some stylish tops, black boots. (Thoughts?) For night I'll probably bring some pointy stiletto shoes, and was planning on using the black slacks and maybe some dressier camisoles/tops? Would that work, or should I bring a dress, etc? For nights out, should I bring a blazer, as is the style here, or just a pashmina? For a coat, I was going to stash in my jean jacket, and perhaps bring along my puffy grey Burberry jacket. My longer wool coat is stylish but so heavy-- do I need that? Also, what should my husband bring for nights out in clubs/bars, etc.? He's thinking, for example, stylish (paper denim & cloth) jeans, black DKNY button down shirt and black shoes? Would that be up the right alley? Sorry for all the ?'s and thanks in advance.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:00 AM

lukesaunt; just wear whatever you would wear at home. It's no different from what you would wear going out in New York or another big town. What you have described sounds perfect for Italy.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:46 AM

The answer is black, black and more black and if you see someone wearing something else they are tourists.

Young crowd is so stylish it hurts in comparison to US. Black pants, black leather jackets, camisole tops, huge Jackie O type black sunglasses even at night with designer labels. Gorgeous long, straight hair.You can mix jeans in with black jackets and sweater. High boots pointy toed stillettos although the windows show some round toed stillettos fashionistas aren't taking them too seriously.

If you don't have any leather,as long as the blazer is black and fitted it might make it. Puffy, grey and Burberry? Gah! I may have seen some pashminas around but again mostly on tourists. You can mix a bit of color in with long chandelier earrings camisole, scarves.

It was very warm there last week during the day but we did have one cool rainy day in the 50s. Keep checking the weather at the weather channel site.

There will be so many tourists around that you'll probably fit in anyway so I wouldn't buy new clothes for the trip but you can't go wrong with black.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:49 AM

One more thing...if the weather takes a cold turn the winter coats will come out. Leather jackets aren't warm enough. Some of these are puffy coats but fitted and usually black or nicely tailored wool coats.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 05:20 AM

Could you do a clothing post when you get back? It would be interesting to get an update, and fun to hear!

Your rationale on clothing sounds right, but if you are only going for a week, I think you are bringing too much. 1 pair of jeans is enough (in my opinion). You mention a bunch of jackets - jean jacket, blazer, grey coat, possibly wool coat - you probably didn't intend to bring all of them, but I'd limit your outerwear to 2 pieces...

All my European relatives always look so great and fashionable - but the truth is that they don't have a million different pieces in their wardrobe. They'll have 1 Hermes scarf, for example - instead of 15 cheap scarves. I work with an Italian woman who always looks so great - she doesn't have a lot of clothes, but they are GOOD clothes...Prada, Chloe, MaxMara (by the way, she never talks about the labels - that's just what I've caught out of the corner of my eye. She also happened to work for a major Italian fashion house). I guess this is a long way of saying go for quality over quantity when you are going to Italy. If you think people are going to notice what you're wearing, I'd venture to say that they'll notice the quality of your clothing before they realize that you wore those pants two or three times that week! Just my opinion!

I look forward to hearing about your trip, it sounds like it will be a blast!

(PS - No need to apologize for clothing posts; anyone not interested doesn't have to read!)
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 05:46 AM

My recollection of Italians young ladies - their clothes were TIGHT (and cute).
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Cassandra

I looked around Rome in May to see what the standards (a great word around here lately) were and one question occurred to me that maybe is worth posing now: what is the magic cut-off age for wearing denim? It seems obligatory for young people and absolutely forbidden for older people -- but what is the dividing line?

Otherwise, sounds to me, lukesaunt, like you're on the right track, but the other observation is that if you're young and slender, you can get away with sackcloth and newspaper; if you're not, it matters much more what you choose and black always works (sadly).

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 06:36 AM

Young italian women have a definite uniform for the evenings.

1. Jeans, frequently covered in some kind of diamante affair, rips, etc.
2. Black top
3. Black puffa jacket.

That's IT.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies! I tend to buy a lot of quality clothes on sale, so I'll make sure to bring the Marc Jacobs and leave the Gap at home. As for what I would wear at home, well... that depends, if I'm out at night in Miami, it's a lot different than if I'm out in NYC, or home in Boston; so that is why I asked. I should have clarified that the Burberry is not frumpy; it is a very fitted silvery grey "puffy" (Not that puffy). Per your advice, I'll take a blazer (a black one!), take my chandelier earrings, and try to represent us Yanks decently. Husband is hoping we find him a leather jacket while we are there. We shall see. I *will* do a fashion post upon return.