Dressing for winter in Manhattan

Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dressing for winter in Manhattan

My fiance and i are traveling to NYC in mid December. We have reservations at several high end restaurants, tickets to Broadway, Christmas Spectacular... we want to do this right. I also want to look the part. Does anyone know of websites showing the "mode" of the natives today? And being in the city with buildings to brace the winds, does it get as cold as say Buffalo or other parts?
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 01:51 PM

Actually, the buildings do not brace the winds, rather provide enormous tunnels...

You just never know about the weather. Likely will be bitter cold with chance of precipitation. So, you'd want a very warm coat that's at least water resistent, along with very warm (but also comfortable) footwear (thicker soles for the cold pavements), hat, scarf, gloves, the works...so as to be comfortable while out and about. Underneath, however, you don't want to pile on too many layers as indoors is usually dreadfully overheated.

"Black and..." is still very usual.

Priority when dressing should be the weather, then the destination. You never know when it will be difficult to grab a cab.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 01:55 PM

It'll be cold, but nowhere near Buffalo conditions.
The mode of the natives? C'mon!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:03 PM

Black. Wear lots of black. Black pants, black sweater, black shoes, black dress, black handbag, black wool overcoat, black hat & gloves. See a theme developing?

If you want to "look the part," please don't wear big ski jackets with bright colors or, for that matter, any color other than black (unless of course you're carrying skis). Black.

Locals can and will pull-off gray and brown, but don't try it. You're not ready yet. You must master black first. Black.

Finally, if it rains . . . yes, black umbrella. Not too big (unless you're carrying golf clubs). Nothing is more annoying than a tiny tourist-person devastating an entire sidewalk with a stupid multi-hued golf umbrella. Black.

What? What do I hear? Black fannypack? This is wear we draw the line. To look the part, you must swear off the fannypack. Burn them now to set the mental mood. Sing "New York, New York" while burning.

If you have any other questions of a sartorial nature, I'll save you the trouble. Black.

Here endeth the lesson.

Enjoy NYC!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:10 PM

Where are you coming FROM? If you're from S. California like me (I visit NYC about 3 times a year), you will find it miserably cold and windy in December. As the others have posted, hat, gloves, scarves - the works! BUT I suggest to wear stylish clothes underneath. EVERYWHERE has a coat check (even after hours clubs!) and you don't want to stick out like a tourist. For instance, NO SNEAKERS. No one in NYC wears them. Unless they're going to the gym. Boots are the norm in winter (as in all-purpose leather ones, not galoshes)! Denim gets mightly chilly on the skin; I'd recommend wool pants, or cords. OR a winter skirt with VERY warm tights and boots!

For the ladies...just a hint. Bring your mascara, powder, etc. IN your handbag if you wear make up. The wind can be so biting that you literally cry your make up off walking places.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:31 PM

Gekko
Very funny!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:32 PM

Actually, hilaryg, your no-sneakers edict is no longer entirely accurate.

For guys, cool retro sneakers (Nike Cortez) and soccer styles (Adidas Samba) are all-the-rage right now. Not in high-end restaurants, of course, but definitely at clubs/bars/hip eateries etc. Must be the Williamsburg influence.

Never NEVER running shoes or any sneaker one would purchase at a strip mall Foot Locker. Unless of course you're going running.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. It seems like black it shall be. What about going to dinner-is it acceptable to wear pants if you are a woman?
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:00 PM

Ugh, black black black. Too boring. Be yourself for god's sake.

People *do* wear color in the city. It's how, why, and what you wear it with that's the key.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:05 PM

Gekko, yes, I agree, cool, hip new Nike's etc. are totally acceptable in clubs, the village, chelsea, soho, etc. I also meant my "no-no" for the all-white Foot Locker type sneaks!

And YES of course women can wear slacks to a high-end restaurant!! As I advised before, something like wool not denim is the way to go (both warmth wise and fashion wise). Throw on an "evening" turtleneck, boots, some earrings, you're good to go!

Have fun!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:54 PM

Tammi, black boring? NEVER! If you're a New York City resident, Shame! Consider yourself shunned, with all its associated Amish nastiness.

Be yourself? If colorful clothes is how you "be yourself," you've got more important things to worry about than matching your rainbow pumps with that fancy teal twinset you love so much.

Black is cool, black is practical, black is flattering, black is New York. Black.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 04:07 PM

Gekko, you're definitely a star now. A star draped in black, but still a star!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 04:31 PM

You CAN accessorize that black with some surprising bit of color, as in a blouse or scarf, and in the daytime grey pinstripe skirt or trousers are acceptable as long as you partner them with a black jacket. Brown is dramatic if you're a redhead, but you really better be able to carry it off with style.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:04 PM

Oh Gekko, you are my hero!

she writes, sitting at the desk in her black turtleneck and black jeans
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:13 PM

Hey Gekko, are you the one who makes commercials for Geico car insurance?? Black and green go well together.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 06:19 PM

I'd recommend silk long underwear--very light, very comfortable, and warm.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:34 PM

Gekko...you're cracking me up here...we need to get together on a Sunday at Havana Central for the buffet! LOL

But seriously, main thing is dress in at least one main black item (which is my general rule of thumb.) In other words, a black dress shirt with a tan skirt and boots, or black slacks and a navy shirt, this can all be done, you don't need to be in head to toe black. I've done it but I also hate looking like everyone else! I'd rather have one item that's another color. (just no vibrant green or orange, and definitely no polka dots or stripes!)

The buildings actually cause draft tunnels so it can be colder and since Manhattan is surrounded by water, it does get pretty damn cold. Make sure you have a hat, scarf, gloves, the works!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:58 PM

Slacks (tailored black wool) are just fine for high end restaurants, along with stylish, but very comfortable, black boots underneath. If your wool slacks are lined (as most are), highly recommend silk longjohns. In the cold weather, lining fabric is very cold against your skin, and the silk longjohns are the perfect (and elegant) extra layer.

Unless you are traveling all over by private car or limo, you'd suffer dreadfully outdoors in a short skirt, stockings, and strapping high heels.

Note that one item of color is perfectly acceptable, such as a gorgeous cashmere sweater in your favorite (and most flattering) color, though, black is probably "better".
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 12:20 AM

If you wear black, it's the bottoms, not the tops, that should be so--NY'ers wear so much black because clothes get dirty pretty quickly in the city!

My advice regarding the wether would be to check weather.com a few days befoire you go and see what the temps are. Generally, anything in the 30- 40's is usually quite bearable, but below that, combinied iwth the winds, it is quite necessary to do a comlete bundling, and I once it got below 20 I usually wore tights or long silk underwear under my pants to keep warm (and that was just walking 6 blocks to work).

Enjoy!
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 03:57 AM

I didn't say wear rainbow pumps... just not all black. There's nothing wrong with a splash of red. etc.

Have you never seen Sex and the City? Not that I dress like that, but that show is worshipped my fashion enthusiasts. And they rarely wear all black.

I'm just saying dress to your own individual style! NYC has ALL kinds of styles, so it's riduculous to say that everyone should and does wear all black.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -