Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accidentally blew off a toll on the Autostrada....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, this is what happened. We were driving back to our villa after a long day trip and as we were approaching the toll booth, realized that our ticket was not tucked behind the visor on the passenger's side where we had left it.

So we tear the car apart, searching everywhere for the ticket. It's nowhere to be found! No idea where it went, unless somehow it fell out of the car when we stopped at a service area. The other car with our group went ahead of us, thinking they could try and explain to the toll both operator and pay for both cars. Of course we get to the toll and it's one of the self-service things, and there were no people anywhere! Not knowing what else to do, we just drove through the toll after the car in front of us paid. Agh!!

We asked the woman who owns our villa what she thought the fine might be, but she didn't know. After that night we forgot about it and said we'd just worry about it when we get home, but now I'm curious...and a little worried we're going to get some astronomical fine from the rental car company (I'm pretty sure they took a picture of our license when we drove through).

Does anyone have any idea what the fine might be? I think here in the U.S. if you don't have a ticket you have to pay the full toll, but I have no idea what happens if you don't pay at all!
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 01:13 PM

Have your landlady send a check to the toll authority along with a letter explaining the situation. If you then DO get cited you can use her canceled check as a defense.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 01:13 PM

There's no use worrying until it happens.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Hi shortcake, I assume you are now home? I believe your rental car was photographed. If you don't know what the fine is you can't pay it and I can't imagine the landlady you had would be willing to pay it and wait for reimbursement from you..and anyway even she does not know how much the fine is if I read your post correctly.

Have you contacted your rental car agency? Did you discuss this with them when you turned in the rental car? If the answers are "no" I would contact the rental car company..or if you don't want to do that I would imagine you will see the fine on your credit card statement (the credit card that you used to rent the car). What a bummer!! But it is not like you had an accident etc. Best wishes.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 03:41 PM

Not to worry, shortcake. I did the same thing in April in Italy, except I pulled into the wrong lane and there was no place to pay the toll. It was probably a lane for those with passes or something. There was no way I could back out of the booth, so I just sat there, with some cars falling in behind me (maybe they were locals with passes?). Finally the gate swung up and off we drove. Haven't heard a word since, and it's been almost seven months.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 04:41 PM

I don't imagine anyone would would know what the <i>fine</i> was...I was referring to the <i>toll</i>.

And you should be able to reimburse your landlady the instant she signs the check.

No rocket scientists here today?
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 05:57 PM
pat

We were in the same situation. Got to the toll booth to get on the toll road, and the machine wouldn`t give us a ticket. People behind us were getting impatient, so we got on without a ticket. When we exited, the Italian at the toll booth, who didn`t speak english, gave us a ticket for the longest toll in Italy. We had a rental car too. We went back to the hotel, and the bartender said, enjoy Italy, and throw the ticket in the trash. He said if we tried to write from home, it would be back and forth, and we wouldn`t win anyway. So we went home and never heard anything about it. Went back to Italy the next year, with a rental car again in the same name, and had no problems.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 06:51 PM

I got out of paying the toll once on the road south of Innsbruck. We had crossed from Innsbruck into Italy on the Brenner Pass on our way to Lienz in Austria.

When we exited the freeway and arrived at the toll booth, I tried to use the euro coins we had been accumulating in a cup I had stuck in the console between the front seats.

Being a little clumsy, I hit the cup and knocked the coins all over the floor of the car. My wife had only a &euro;100 note which the attendant in the booth did not want.

I was down on the floor trying to find coins between the seats, under the floor mat, etc, when the disgusted attendant waved us on with some comment like amerikanischer Tollpatsch, which I think equates to clumsy oaf.

I am still chuckling about it.
One way to get out of paying the toll.

I wish I could remember where we stopped to eat lunch that day. One of the best meals I ever had on the road.

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I'm home now. We returned our rental car at 3 a.m., so it was a night drop off and there wasnt anyone to talk to about it...we figured we'd wait and see if Hertz contacted us about it, but I was just curious if this had ever happened to anyone else. If I hear anything I'll be sure to update!
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 05:47 PM

My husband and I wee on the road to Firenze to return our rental....we almost make it. We take one wrong turn and it costs us E38 for going through a toll without a ticket....ahh! We return the car to Avis and advised to pay the ticket at the post office, if not, the fee could increase. When we got to Rome, the propiertor of the hotel we were staying at also advised us to pay the ticket. Just a thought.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 08:35 PM

Robespierre, since you want to be rude &quot;no rocket scientist here today&quot;, no you certainly are not.

Shortcake is home. So how in heavens name could she reimburse the landlady the minute she (the landlady) writes the check?

And how in heavens name would one know if you were referring to the fine or just the toll? And how, pray tell, would shortcake have the landlady's cancelled check as proof of payment unless the landlady was willing to give it to her, or make a photocopy of it for her, in either case mail it to her.

I don't usually bother responding to such rude comments Robespierre but every once in awhile you do push a button.

Shortcake, I hope this all gets worked out for you with out a lot of fuss. Take care.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:23 AM

I'm exiled from Sweden. Three years ago I got a parking ticket in Lund and lost it. And it wasn't cheap - around $40 if I remember right. I never heard a word from the rental car company or Swedish secret police. No doubt the day I drive back to Sweden from Copenhagen on the other side of the Oresund Bridge there'll be a couple of divisions of elite paratroopers awaiting me. Until then, no more Smorgesbords or Volvos for me.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 06:41 AM

Robespierre, since you want to be rude &quot;no rocket scientist here today&quot;, no you certainly are not. <b>I'm not rude? I'm not here today? What?</b>

Shortcake is home. <b>We didn't know that until 11/10/2005, 08:58 am. My posts predate that event.</b> So how in heavens name could she reimburse the landlady the minute she (the landlady) writes the check? <b>Because she's standing right there?</b>

And how in heavens name would one know if you were referring to the fine or just the toll? <b>Because the amount of the toll is known but the fine isn't? Why would anyone pay a fine when no charge had been filed?</b> And how, pray tell, would shortcake have the landlady's cancelled check as proof of payment unless the landlady was willing to give it to her, or make a photocopy of it for her, in either case mail it to her. <b>By asking her to photocopy it and mail it to her?</b>

I don't usually bother responding to such rude comments Robespierre but every once in awhile you do push a button. <b>I don't intend to. I'm sorry you misunderstood.</b>

Shortcake, I hope this all gets worked out for you with out a lot of fuss. <b>Me, too.</b> Take care.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 06:53 AM

Hi Robespierre, apology accepted. And I apologies for misunderstanding your comments. Have a pleasant weekend!
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Assuming you were observed, or recorded, you would appear to them to be a scofflaw. They might do nothing, or they might levy a toll and fine against you through the rental company.

I think honesty is the best policy. In your place, I would write to the Italian embassy, giving a complete history (so the toll can be calculated), and ask their assistance in making the matter right. They might feel it is not worth doing anything, but at least they would be in a position to forward your inquiry to the right place, and you would be in the position of an honest person, which I would hope would predispose the authorities to treat you right.